Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-12, 09:29 AM   #1
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PSA for Garmin Users (Important)

If you have an Edge 500 or 800 think twice before you upgrade your firmware to 3.0. Looking at the Garmin forums, I am not alone in having serious problems with it. To be more specific, Garmin Connect will no longer upload your fit files, and for Powertap users, Power Agent will not accept the fit files recorded under firmware 3.0.

For now, I've gone back to firmware 2.8 which was working fine for me. Anyone who has worked through this problem and solved it, feel free to chime in.
billydonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 10:21 AM   #2
volosong 

Bikes:
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like the update wasn't tested properly before release.

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
- Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black
volosong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:03 AM   #3
bikepro 

Bikes: Look 585
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
If you have an Edge 500 or 800 think twice before you upgrade your firmware to 3.0. Looking at the Garmin forums, I am not alone in having serious problems with it. To be more specific, Garmin Connect will no longer upload your fit files, and for Powertap users, Power Agent will not accept the fit files recorded under firmware 3.0.

For now, I've gone back to firmware 2.8 which was working fine for me. Anyone who has worked through this problem and solved it, feel free to chime in.
I've upgraded to 3.0 and have had no problem uploading Fit data to Garmin Connect.

I've read about other's having problems with the upgrade failing.

I'm developing software that loads ride data from a Fit file. It works fine with the version 2.8 file, but has problems with the 3.0 file. I've started investigating my software and discovered I was improperly handling some data. It was adequate for 2.8 but not 3.0. I suspect Power Agent may have a similar problem.

There is more in the Road Cycling forum, including instructions for how to resolve update problem.
bikepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 11:19 AM   #4
Dudelsack 
A might bewildered...

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I saw that. I don't use the Garmin for really fancy stuff so I'm going to wait for V3.1.
Old 06-04-12, 01:30 PM   #5
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like the update wasn't tested properly before release.
Here's a link to the Edge 500 Forum at Garmin to get a sample of the issues people are having. It is interesting to note that Strava will recognize and handle the .fit files recorded under firmware 3.0 but Garmin Connect... not so much.

Also, for power meter users, Power Agent does not read the new fit files created in firmware version 3.0.

Last edited by billydonn; 06-04-12 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 07:43 PM   #6
TomD77

Bikes:
When reading the thread title I thought you meant PSA as in prostrate specific antigen; made me wonder what you were using the Garmin for.
TomD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 09:26 PM   #7
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
When reading the thread title I thought you meant PSA as in prostrate specific antigen; made me wonder what you were using the Garmin for.
Good point... sorry. I would edit the title if I could.
Old 06-04-12, 09:33 PM   #8
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepro View Post
I've upgraded to 3.0 and have had no problem uploading Fit data to Garmin Connect.

I've read about other's having problems with the upgrade failing.

I'm developing software that loads ride data from a Fit file. It works fine with the version 2.8 file, but has problems with the 3.0 file. I've started investigating my software and discovered I was improperly handling some data. It was adequate for 2.8 but not 3.0. I suspect Power Agent may have a similar problem.

There is more in the Road Cycling forum, including instructions for how to resolve update problem.

Perhaps I was reading the wrong thread but I did not find that. I have always just unplugged my Garmin from my computer instead of "ejecting" it. Could failure to "eject" the Garmin after upgrading the firmware be the issue that caused this? The Edge 500 forum at Garmin is riddled with all kinds of folks having the same problem... and some others to.