Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Record for cycling around the world - 92 days.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ys?ft=1&f=1001

I don't think I'm getting enough miles in.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the article it says that a rider must travel minimum 18000 miles by bicycle and 25000 miles total. It looks like the key to this kind of endeavour is to bunch up as many bicycle miles as possible in high infrastructure bicycle friendly areas like North America, Europe, Australia, and try to avoid the Mid-East, Africa, Russia, and Asia like the plague.

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a discrepancy in the article - it says you must travel 25,000 miles and he traveled 24,900. NPR also didn't go into all the many requirements - if one is really interested, check the details out. It's not that anyone is anal, but for any record to mean something there has to be a standard for what has been achieved.

There has been more than one "record breaker" in this category who ultimately couldn't provide all the proper documentation to Guinness or who didn't meet all the requirements and as a result did not have their ride certified as the new record. Hats off to Mr. Hall and his ride, but he hasn't been awarded the record yet.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at the whole thing from the view that 200 miles a day for 92 days is a LOT of riding.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    There's a discrepancy in the article - it says you must travel 25,000 miles and he traveled 24,900. NPR also didn't go into all the many requirements - if one is really interested, check the details out.
    There are two main requirements: a minimum number of kilometers/miles, and the cyclist has to pass through two points completely opposite of each other on the earth -- and Hall did this as Portugal has New Zealand as an antipode.

But apart from this, any circumnavigating record attempt for which people use the plane doesn't count in my book. Unless it is a bicycle driven plane.