User Tag List

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I motivated someone?

This morning I was doing my loops and at the 14 mile mark I passed another roadie going up a small hill. I pushed a little extra to put some space between him and me when I noticed he was staying with me. He then says, "I[he] needed some motivation." I told him I was turning and he stated he'd follow. Okay I think--the fact I had a guy "drafting" me seemed to give me a bit extra oompf. He follows me turn for turn(and I stated what direction each time so there wasn't an issue/crash) until we get to one point(≈19 miles in) where he stated that he was turning since this was his halfway point. "See you again sometime," I said. BTW, this is where I was getting poured on by the rain during my 35 miler(starting around 17 miles in). Earlier I stated I use the cyclocomputer as motivation and guide to try and keep a good pace. He doesn't have one. Much of the time he was with me we were keeping a 18.5~19.5(hit 20 a few times) mph pace except on several turns and crossing intersections(yield signs--not stop) to ensure safe passage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    This morning I was doing my loops and at the 14 mile mark I passed another roadie going up a small hill. I pushed a little extra to put some space between him and me when I noticed he was staying with me. He then says, "I[he] needed some motivation." I told him I was turning and he stated he'd follow. Okay I think--the fact I had a guy "drafting" me seemed to give me a bit extra oompf. He follows me turn for turn(and I stated what direction each time so there wasn't an issue/crash) until we get to one point(≈19 miles in) where he stated that he was turning since this was his halfway point. "See you again sometime," I said. BTW, this is where I was getting poured on by the rain during my 35 miler(starting around 17 miles in). Earlier I stated I use the cyclocomputer as motivation and guide to try and keep a good pace. He doesn't have one. Much of the time he was with me we were keeping a 18.5~19.5(hit 20 a few times) mph pace except on several turns and crossing intersections(yield signs--not stop) to ensure safe passage.

Good stuff.

You certainly motivated me. Where do you live? Oh - Newport News, VA. Next time I am in the area . . .

My Bikes
    Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job!!!! It's surprising what little effort it takes to motivate someone else and even more surprising it what seems ridiculous to one, is actually the motivator to another.
    2013 End of Summer Goal: Return to NC's Dismal Swamp State Park trail

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go Mikey, good mentors and motivators are hard to find in this day and time. Hope he keeps up his riding.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney