User Tag List

My Bikes
    Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG, I'm my own family's motivator?

I did it again!!!! More people around me are joining the biking bug.....

I just got back home from my quick trip to Chesapeake, VA. The concert was really good. Of course, I thought I was getting into mischief again but I'm finding a whole lot more support for what I wanted to do, than I expected. My granddaughter's adoptive grandparents are absolutely amazing. They are the ones who advocated for my grandparent visitation several years ago and now that they have guardianship over her, they encourage my time with her anytime I want. So....

I told them that I wanted to buy her, her next bike, for her birthday but didn't want to wait until August. They agreed. In fact, he went online immediately to help me find a LBS for her. I had a few hours before her concert so I went out checking out bike shops. I asked my granddaughter if she wanted to go with me but she declined. The bike shop I went to first has now since closed. So, I sat in the parking lot and made a few phone calls. Ended up in downtown Norfolk, during rush hour traffic. Thank goodness, this rural country gal has drove Chicago a few times in my life. Rush hour in Norfolk was a piece of cake but I swear, if I had to do that often, I would turn into one of those rude city drivers.

I bought my granddaughter Giant's Gloss bike. It's still at the shop. I didn't want to take it back to her without it being fitted. They do have the kid's trade-up program so she will have 2-3 years on this bike. Her family will take her over to the bike shop later this week, to pick her bike up. Her Granddaddy is already planning on getting her back on that Dismal Swamp Canal, again. Apparently, they ride it quite often. She told me this morning that he just too fast for her to keep up.

When I pick her up on June 15th, she doesn't want to come directly to NC. She has already informed me, she wants to do 2 miles on the Dismal Swamp Trail Canel, before we leave for NC. Then when she gets here, she wants to try that trail I did this past weekend. I have never seen this child so excited and motivated. She actually got out of bed last weekend, early, just to hit a trail. I think I found something that she is confident that she can do and it's motivating her.

On the drive back from VA, my mother informed me that she talked to my sister yesterday. My sister is very excited because I'm giving her a bike so she can do something that she loves to do. My mother hasn't heard my sister this excited in a very long-time. Looks like my long-weekend with my granddaughter is gonna be a very long drive because now, I'm gonna have to run to Williamsburg to drop off a bike. Maybe I'll do that on the return trip when I take my granddaughter back home.

Now, I wonder what it's gonna take and how many years, to get my Michigan family to agree to doing my "dream trail" in Michigan with me. They know where is because we have talked about it for many years. I can see my son now, thinking, mom moved away so that must have come off her list of things to do in life. Yes, there are a few more obstacles for me to overcome but stamina will not be one of the so that dream has just moved up my list of things to do. Right now, I'm not gonna tell him that trail has been extended from the 35 miles to .... 87 across the state.
    Last edited by nuttygrandma; 06-05-12 at 09:36 AM.
    2013 End of Summer Goal: Return to NC's Dismal Swamp State Park trail

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on you. But whenever I talk to family- friends or neighbours that I have a spare bike in the shed that they could borrow for a ride- They never talk to me again. They have in the main supported me in my cycling but they also see the state I used to be in on my long rides of a few years ago and If I- as a seasoned- cyclist - could finish up in that condition- they most definitely not getting on a bike---EVER.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good thing for both of you. This is a super thing and good on you and the adoptive grandparents for all y'all are doing for her.

Bill

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I read your posts I wonder if you may be The Chosen One. Others on the Jedi counsel wonder about that as well.

Thats geek-speak for this: sometimes people don't pick up an activity until late in life only to discover they excel in it. Here they walked around with The Gift and never knew it. Keep a journal; better yet, start your own cycling blog. You never know, in three years you'll do the PBP 2015 and I'll read about it.

Reading well-written cycling blogs are fun for the rest of us. I follow people's links from their signature line all the time.

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go, nuttygrandma! You are (in your fashion) an inspiration to young and old. I especially liked reading about your sister and her hesitance to ride (formerly) and her excitement that you're giving her a bike. Is she receiving the bike you're taking to Williamsburg? That's a really nice town to bicycle in - if you stay away from the main arteries. All around the colonial part is flat and very bike/pedestrian friendly. You and she might enjoy it together?

I have ridden the Dismal Swamp Trail, and it's not completely as it sounds, but there are quite a few shaded parts that might do well as settings for a southern gothic novel. The trail is well traveled.

Thanks for posting!
    Phil G.

My Bikes
    Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, Merckx Team SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Building memories - what a beautiful thing!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my best rides have been with my grandchildren. They're all grown and married now but they often talk about the bike trips we did together. I'm hoping when the great grandchildren get old enough I can do a few rides with them.

I'm sure your granddaughter will enjoy that new bike!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you, nuttygrandma.

I've had a minor bit of influence on my father. When I was a youth, I was car-free. My Dad followed as far as becoming a cycle commuter.

He's retired now so his bike has been ignored. But he tells me that recently, with his stenosis making long walks painful, he's discovered that hopping on his folding bike doesn't hurt, so I suspect he's going to be using it to get some daily exercise.

But, with other people? Even fixing up the bike at my sister's house at my own expense, there hasn't been a nibble.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    Way to go, nuttygrandma! You are (in your fashion) an inspiration to young and old. I especially liked reading about your sister and her hesitance to ride (formerly) and her excitement that you're giving her a bike. Is she receiving the bike you're taking to Williamsburg? That's a really nice town to bicycle in - if you stay away from the main arteries. All around the colonial part is flat and very bike/pedestrian friendly. You and she might enjoy it together?

I have ridden the Dismal Swamp Trail, and it's not completely as it sounds, but there are quite a few shaded parts that might do well as settings for a southern gothic novel. The trail is well traveled.

Thanks for posting!
    Phil G.
    Yes, I'm taking the wally-world special I bought Memorial weekend, to my sister and yes, she lives in Williamsburg. I thougth I moved from MI to NC, to be closer to my son but he moved to DE about 6 months after I relocated. Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, his daughter was returned to Chesapeake a week after he relocated (in otherwords, his wife left him and took their only child with her). So, I'm trying to make up for the trying life that child has. However, it's not only granddaughter I'm trying to have a positive influence, my sister's life it just a mess too but her challenges are in her attitude (alot of poor-me). So, I've been trying to have a positive influence with her, too. It's slow going because I have to figure out what is the resistance and block the excuses. Sometimes I really question if we are related and if we really grew up in the same household. My sister does tell me she has very nice memories of biking with me when we were growing up so, I'm hoping I can help develop that in some more positive memories.

I have thought of blogging my experiences but then I want to help my granddaughter with another summer of fun scrapbook. What we do is complete a photo scrapbook of our summer activities. We have lots of places to go and lots of things to see this summer and taking bikes with us will make it even more memerable.

The Dismal Swamp Trail in Chesapeake didn't seem that bad. My granddaugher knows that trail from horseback riding last year and bike riding with her granddad. I'll have to do some more research but there is another Dismal Swamp Canal Trail on the NC side of the Dismal Swamp. I may suggest trying that one when I take her back home after our weekend together. That way, she will see that there can be other aspects to trail riding.
    2013 End of Summer Goal: Return to NC's Dismal Swamp State Park trail