Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Article: Excess exercise hurts the heart

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Article: Excess exercise hurts the heart

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Very interesting. My dad was a physicain, having received his medical training at NYU in the late 1940s. He believed that excessive exercise was actually bad for the heart, and forbid my brother to participate in track in high school He also believed that restricting salt was a bad idea, and that the relationship between cholesterol and heart disease was dubious. I wrote this up as old medical teachings that had been proven incorrect. One by one his old beliefs are turning out to be not as incorrect as I thought.
Old 06-07-12, 10:35 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Another article about more of a good thing not necessarily being more better.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...EXCITE&ei=5043
I love this quote:

"Those who ran 1 to 20 miles per week at an average pace of about 10 or 11 minutes per mile — in other words, jogging — reduced their risk of dying during the study more effectively than those who didn’t run."

So I'm wondering if these studies only apply to dying during the study? And perhaps the underlying message is to stay away from participating in studies? They seem risky these things.

In any case it's bad statistical analysis to say something reduces your risk of dying. I believe that number is somewhat firm.

And D-Sack, if you're looking for technical expertise and vetting of a cardiac study on the 50+ thread in an Internet bike forum, you need a redirect. I'm sure there are more learned forums who might even specialize in the subject matter.

T-Roo is applicable in commenting on the efficacy of a study who's conclusion is how to live longer. I've found longevity to be a particularly Dunbarian goal at best. I'd rather be a monster on the bike and appear much younger than my actual age up to the point where I either keel over from a massive cardiac event or am stuck down by a teenage driver texting about getting tickets to the lastest Kardashian movie, than I want to be parked in some nursing home in a diaper at 100 with fading memories of a bland existence.

In the former case I just hope there aren't any default platitudes about "he died doing what he loved". I don't imagine I'd "love" either of those deaths, which would be what I was doing at the moment of passing. Having a heart attack or getting run over.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 06-07-12 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 11:11 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm glad to hear that moderate exercise has as much benefit as more extreme exercise.
If your goal is merely to stay alive, then this particularly study supports that thought. If your goal to maintain a robust and active life up until you die, then I suggest you read Younger Next Year, and crank up your efforts.
Old 06-07-12, 11:15 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
If your goal is merely to stay alive, then this particularly study supports that thought. If your goal to maintain a robust and active life up until you die, then I suggest you read Younger Next Year, and crank up your efforts.
The young ladies think I'm a much younger man, that's all that matters ;-)
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 06-07-12, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc & Trek 5200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe we need a study of the study and then have another study of the study of the initial study! That's what they do in Washington!

I'll take my chances! After over 35 years of running and biking and feeling as good as when I was much younger...must be doing something right!
Old 06-07-12, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim J
Maybe we need a study of the study and then have another study of the study of the initial study! That's what they do in Washington!

I'll take my chances! After over 35 years of running and biking and feeling as good as when I was much younger...must be doing something right!
You're giving them WAY too much credit.
Old 06-07-12, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim J

Well, I'm not exactly a statist, but this stuff has important public health considerations and is worthy of tax-payer funding research, I would think.

Someone on this forum around Christmastime posted a clever YouTube video that suggested that as little as 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day was really all you need.

When you get right down to it, there are other factors that go into our choosing cycling as a hobby/avocation/addiction. Give me the choice between walking on the treadmill 30 minutes each day or wandering about the countryside and the choice is easy. Plus, I dig the endorphins, I like the fact that I can eat a bit more without gaining weight, and I like it that, let's face it, babes dig cyclists, especially bent riders.

Old 06-07-12, 02:22 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems pro atheletes, especially bike riders, were a subject for this study. Did the amount of PEDs taken by these cyclists come into play. Some of those stronger and illegal PEDs are very tough on the body, or I understand that from what I have read. It appears that most, if not all, pro cyclists take some sort of PED. Just asking.
Old 06-07-12, 03:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack

Someone on this forum around Christmastime posted a clever YouTube video that suggested that as little as 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day was really all you need.
There is lots of apparently contradictory research on this stuff. For example, there is recent evidence that just a few minutes per month at maximum intensity provides considerable health benefits, including lowering insulin resistance. There is also plausible research to suggest that "exercise" is really immaterial, and that just staying active. - walking, gardening, cleaning the house, but above all avoiding spending much time in a chair - is the recipe for health. Then there is the fact that those who do serious, vigorous exercise seem to retain more of their mental and physical functions than those who don't.

My personal take on this is that first, one needs to decide what one wants. Is just good health the aim? If so, either do a little intensive exercise or a lot of gentle exercise, whatever suits your lifestyle. But most of all, don't sit around for hours at a time.

Do you want to play sports? Or to be as fit as possible, for as long as possible? Then exercise harder, for longer. Build up to this over a long period. Make most of your training extensive rather than intensive, and as your base gets bigger incorporate greater intensity.

And listen to your body. I have found after a lot of experimentation that I do better - and lose more weight - by maintaining my food intake but increasing my activity, as opposed to just cutting down on calories. YMMV.

And if you want to run back-to-back marathons, or ironman events, or enter a three-week stage race in France in July, do your heart a favour and build up to it slowly.
Old 06-07-12, 03:39 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
let's face it, babes dig cyclists, especially bent riders.
Decompression sickness isn't worth it. Unless she's Christie Brinkley c 1980 hot.
Old 06-07-12, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Decompression sickness isn't worth it. Unless she's Christie Brinkley c 1980 hot.
I'll assume you've experienced the former, not sure about the latter.
Old 06-07-12, 07:17 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Great book with a strong premise, ya gotta work at it.
Old 06-07-12, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Yeah, our average speed is so much higher than everyone else's, and we operate in a high pressure zone. When we stop, so does to high pressure zone, and sometimes we experience decompression sickness. Babes dig guys convulsing in pain.

Old 06-07-12, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Re: Randonneuring and health. At least the way I do randonneuring, it's a very long low-to-moderate intensity workout. But I'm under no illusion that it's "good" for my health. It is, however, good for my life.
Old 06-09-12, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My mother was into healthy eating, lived at a high altitude, jogging and skiing until she died of cancer at 67. My father was a retired fighter pilot, very fit and active, rode a mountain bike worked with horses and lifted hay bales, until he died of cancer at 79. This has helped me understand this: It is better to do what you like best, and get yourself in shape to do the things you like to do best, so you can live each day to the fullest. Take each day as it comes, and not worry about how long you will live. Sounds hokey maybe, but as the years have passed, I'm finding this to be more and more a reality.
Old 06-10-12, 05:49 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
Just live you life and ignore this kind of nonsense. I'll lump this in the same file (13) as the new reports that say too little salt is bad you. "No one gets out alive".
Doesn't science interest you? Even though we might not learn a lot from one study researching these issues is the way to knowledge, not nonsense. I find the information on salt and exercise intriguing. Nonsense is being dismissive because you don't like what is said.
Old 06-10-12, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Doesn't science interest you? Even though we might not learn a lot from one study researching these issues is the way to knowledge, not nonsense. I find the information on salt and exercise intriguing. Nonsense is being dismissive because you don't like what is said.
The scientific method demands skepticism. This is an unproven hypothesis needing further study. Inconsistent data is mentioned. Many qualifiers ("may", "in some individuals") are found in the abstract and in the conclusion. There's a long way to go before people should change behavior based on this hypothesis. Treating it as nonsense, to be ignored, is quite appropriate except for another group of scientists interested in pursuing the theory.
Old 06-11-12, 06:04 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Please refer to the bottom graphs.

Assume the vertical axis (Y) is your health. The horizontal line (X) is your lifetime.

FIG 1.

FIG 2.

Do you want to be like the majority of Americans and languish and suffer in your final years (Fig 1), a burden on family and society, or do you want to live life to the fullest until the very end (Fig 2)?
Attached Images
File Type: gif
img299.gif (1.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: gif
figureL4.gif (6.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-11-12, 06:12 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Please refer to the bottom graphs.

Assume the vertical axis (Y) is your health. The horizontal line (X) is your lifetime.

FIG 1.

FIG 2.

Do you want to be like the majority of Americans and languish and suffer in your final years (Fig 1), a burden on family and society, or do you want to live life to the fullest until the very end (Fig 2)?
Yeah, Younger Next Year convinced me I wanted to follow curve 2 and then fall off the cliff at the end. Unfortunately there are no guarantees. You could always contract some degenerative disease or fall victim to some genetic problem. But lots of exercise does push toward scenario 2. The "excess" described in the subject article is so far beyond what most people can/will do that it isn't worth worrying about for 98% of active people.
Old 06-11-12, 07:06 AM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
Yeah, Younger Next Year convinced me I wanted to follow curve 2 and then fall off the cliff at the end. Unfortunately there are no guarantees. You could always contract some degenerative disease or fall victim to some genetic problem. But lots of exercise does push toward scenario 2. The "excess" described in the subject article is so far beyond what most people can/will do that it isn't worth worrying about for 98% of active people.
Some things we can control, others we cannot.

I'm BRCA2 positive (the breast cancer gene) and 10 yrs ago I had it. Couldn't walk across the street without sitting to rest. I decided then to change everything about my life that I could change and not worry about the rest.
Old 06-11-12, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
The scientific method demands skepticism. This is an unproven hypothesis needing further study. Inconsistent data is mentioned. Many qualifiers ("may", "in some individuals") are found in the abstract and in the conclusion. There's a long way to go before people should change behavior based on this hypothesis. Treating it as nonsense, to be ignored, is quite appropriate except for another group of scientists interested in pursuing the theory.
I agree that the subject needs further study, but that is a long way from being "nonsense" which is dismissive. And depending on personal history and family history maybe a particular person may need to consider changing his behavior.
Old 06-12-12, 03:04 AM

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Mirage, 1987 Peugeot Tourmalet, EZ Racer recumbent, 1994 Trek Singletrack 930, 1999 Canndondale SuperV500SL, 2001 Gunnar Crosshairs , 2009 Gunnar Roadie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://peakperformance.runnersworld....hats-going-on/

More interesting stuff on this topic. I particularly was struck by the lowest hazard ratio for exercising only twice per week. My guess would be working the heart hard it is like any other muscle. It only recovers fully in something like 72 hours. Hitting it hard more often than that might not be most beneficial even if it only shows up as a health problem in a fraction of the people doing that.

https://www.drjohnm.org/2012/01/cw-is...lly-that-safe/

https://www.drjohnm.org/2010/04/do-i-exercise-too-much/

Written by a pro-cycling heart doctor. Many of his other blog postings are quite worthwhile also.
Old 06-12-12, 06:08 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I intend to read the article since it probably does apply to me. It's well known that aging endurance athletes suffer from increased incidence of atrial fibrillation, which supposedly isn't particularly life threatening. Regular exercise doesn't cure everything that can go wrong with your heard while aging, that's pretty obvious. One of the members of the randonneuring group I belong to just died on a ride, apparently from heart related issues.[h=1][/h]
Old 06-13-12, 05:54 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Well, excess sex will do the same thing. At my age, bring on all the excesses, what do I have to lose!! ha ha..
Old 06-13-12, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Excess sex? Liar. Doesn't exist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.