Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What to do this weekend?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What to do this weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 05:09 AM

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to do this weekend?

This is my birthday weekend and no, I'm NOT riding my age so don't even suggest it. Maybe I'll be up to it next year since it will be another landmark birthday, like a rite of passage or something. Besides, I'll be 29 again tomorrow. It doesn't help that it's my turn to be glued to my cellphone for the weekend, work related.

My choices are (some out of necessity):
1. Take bike out for a ride
2. Take a drve to LBS to return borrowed bike carrier and look for a new carrier since I just outgrew my 2 bike carrier and need a bigger one.
3. Take bike out for a ride
4. Unpack spare bedroom that I haven't done since I moved 6 months ago and I'll need that room for my son for the next month (or he could unpack the room and use the airbed until he can find the futon)
5. Take bike out for a ride
6. Pick up groceries for the next 2 weeks since I'll have son and granddaughter here next weekend and won't have time to do that
7 Take bike out for a ride
8. Go out and look for N+1 so my son will have his own bike
9. Take bike out for a ride
10. Go into office and get head start on work that I didn't get done this week so I won't be so snarly come Monday and Tuesday
11. Take bike out for a ride

OMG, I'm getting snarly just thinking about I should be doing but taking the bike out seems to be winning out. I guess I engaged my mouth last night without totally thinking things thru. My son is coming home for at least a month. No one has seen him in 6 years. I'm getting my wet noodle ready to beat him with it and I'll pass it on to others afterward. His bike will be the next +1 and how I get it back to Delaware, I'm not really sure. But his will be an used bike. I wonder if my conscious will allow the bike to be a substitute for never buying him a car as a teenager. He is the youngest and the one we didn't get a car as teenager. We learned our lesson with the older kids

Oh, getting time for me to make some decisions for how today will go. I wonder if I can do all of the above in 1 weekend. Now, I'm getting snarly again just thinking.
Old 06-09-12, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Birthday.....now go out for a ride.
Old 06-09-12, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, 72 Bianchi Rekord, 1987? Ciocc, 2010 Merckx LXM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Birthday! Have a great ride!
Old 06-09-12, 06:04 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Happy birthday, and many more.

Today, my wife and I are going to pedal up to our annual "Parker Days" fest, and we are going to man the table of a certain political party from 9 - 11, if my wife can stand the heat. Then we will pedal back, unless the heat got to her, and I have to pedal home and get the car to retrieve her. She and heat just do NOT mix well. It is supposed to be 91F today.

There will be a parade during our "manning time" so I doubt we will be discussing politics much with the public.

Some suggestions:

1. Ride the bike to Delaware.

2. I NEVER had a car bought for me. I earned my own $$ and bought my own. See how well I turned out?

3. Take your bike for a ride.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-09-12 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-09-12, 06:45 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride the bike, if not your age, a nice distance.

Eat some pie.

Have a nice dinner out.
Old 06-09-12, 06:54 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Happy Birthday and may you have many more riding days.

Personally, my choices would be number 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-09-12, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Happy Birthday!

Let's see six instances out of eleven were "take bike for a ride". Given it's your birthday, why not let the bike take you for a ride?
Old 06-09-12, 07:53 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Happy Birthday early, it seems that out of the choices Ride the Bike wins on volume. So ride the bike, eat some good PIE and post a report with pictures of your ride. This should fill up your weekend sufficiently.

Have fun some, what ever you choose, and ride safe, you need to make more birthdays or whichever anniversary of your 29th birthday it is!

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-09-12, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello nuttygrandma, hopefully you followed your OWN advice and rode your bike today.

Riding your bike will give you time to work out all those other issues in your head, or at least come up with a great plan! Trust me it works!!!

Enjoy your weekend, spend some time on the bike and BTW, Happy Birthday!
Old 06-10-12, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuttygrandma
This is my birthday weekend and no, I'm NOT riding my age so don't even suggest it. Maybe I'll be up to it next year since it will be another landmark birthday, like a rite of passage or something. Besides, I'll be 29 again tomorrow. It doesn't help that it's my turn to be glued to my cellphone for the weekend, work related.

My choices are (some out of necessity):
1. Take bike out for a ride
2. Take a drve to LBS to return borrowed bike carrier and look for a new carrier since I just outgrew my 2 bike carrier and need a bigger one.
3. Take bike out for a ride
4. Unpack spare bedroom that I haven't done since I moved 6 months ago and I'll need that room for my son for the next month (or he could unpack the room and use the airbed until he can find the futon)
5. Take bike out for a ride
6. Pick up groceries for the next 2 weeks since I'll have son and granddaughter here next weekend and won't have time to do that
7 Take bike out for a ride
8. Go out and look for N+1 so my son will have his own bike
9. Take bike out for a ride
10. Go into office and get head start on work that I didn't get done this week so I won't be so snarly come Monday and Tuesday
11. Take bike out for a ride
Update on my weekend progress.
#2 is completed. I went back to the LBS yesterday, returned the bike carrier and bought a new one for 3 bikes. He fitted it to my car. Also remembered bungy cords for my wheels, when driving.
#6 is completed. Dang, hadn't realized I've been eating out of the freezer for several weeks now. When to groceries go up? Oh well, I now have food again.
#8 is a completed as it's gonna get. I'm gonna have to make some tough decisions but probably won't be getting another one of those cheap bikes. It will be another excuse to go to the LBS, again.
#10 is also completed. Spent 4 hours in the office this afternoon, just trying to maintain some sort of sanity next week.

Now, #1,3,5,7,9,11 - didn't get on the bike yesterday at all. My dang cellphone kept ringing but that's a typical Saturday when I'm the administrator on-call. I knew today would be quieter. So, went for a quick ride this morning. Actually, I rode for breakfast. It was alike a lightbulb going off in my head, around here, Sunday morning traffic is pretty sparse considering this is a city. Everyone sleeps in until it's time to go to church. Dang, I use to get to church and have shopping done before anyone else was on their way to church. So, I'm gonna have to remember, Sunday mornings is a good time to venture out further on these streets.

I'm not even gonna worry about what to do next weekend. Already have that one planned out.
Old 06-10-12, 04:21 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bike, birthday cake (or pie), sleep.
Old 06-10-12, 06:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like your odd choices are the best choices! Happy birthday!
Old 06-10-12, 07:04 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Happy Birthday! Ride your age in cubits, meters, yards, leagues... What ever! Just ride!!!

Where in the (cyclist's) bible does it say it must be in miles?
Old 06-10-12, 07:10 PM

Bikes: Trek Pilot 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy Birthday! I hope you were able to complete a ride in whatever unit-of-measure length seemed comfortable for the event.
Old 06-10-12, 09:35 PM

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
1, 3, 5, 7, 9. ( a little late, hope you had a good one)