Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Bike more often." Doctor's orders!

Just wanted to say, at my latest doctor visit, she advised me to ride my trike more often, because regular, low-impact, aerobic exercise helps alleviate fibromyalgia symptoms. As long as it is not too strenuous. Better to bike easy on nearly a daily basis than to do a couple of hard strenuous rides a week.

So, if anyone asks me where I'm going, I'll say, "Triking! Doctor's orders!" LOL
    What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy! I'm sorry for you. Fibromyalgia really sucks. I dated a very nice young lady for three years who suffered from that. It's a miserable way to have to life. I hope your cycling does help relieve the symptoms and makes your life more enjoyable.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Like any long term, chronic trouble, you just have no choice but to adjust and adapt. There are more and more resources all the time to help a person cope. I am grateful for that, at least, and also trying not to be too grumpy.
    What do you call a cyclist who sells potpourri on the road? A pedaling petal-peddler.

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has fibro. And lately, she's discovered that cycling helps.

She is also very conscious of what she eats. Unfortunately, a lot of foods kick her fibro up a notch. So she's a vegetarian who can't eat eggplant or tomatoes. She's also doing Wii Fit and yoga. Anything not knock the cobwebs out of the joints helps.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both my primary care and hematologist/oncologist are cyclist and every time I see them, they tell me not to stop riding. I've lost 30 pounds cycling and, except for my leukemia meds, have been taken off of every medication I was on. Cycling is a great way to stay healthy for those of us over a certain age.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doc is a young punk road cyclist. I keep him posted on current mileage, and I have received no complaints from him on my riding. He told me I'm not too skinny, despite what my wife, mother, and daughter say.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm being told by my sister, wife, and others I'm getting too skinny. My BMI is 22.5(144.5 @ 5'7")--18.5-24.9 is considered normal range. I can't imagine what I'd look like with a BMI of 18.5. Heck, if I got rid of the loose skin(from loosing 106 lbs) I'd probably weigh about a 1 lb less, maybe 1.5. Cycling definitely is good for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I'm being told by my sister, wife, and others I'm getting too skinny. My BMI is 22.5(144.5 @ 5'7")--18.5-24.9 is considered normal range. I can't imagine what I'd look like with a BMI of 18.5. Heck, if I got rid of the loose skin(from loosing 106 lbs) I'd probably weigh about a 1 lb less, maybe 1.5. Cycling definitely is good for you.
    Jealousy, perhaps?

If they are enablers (I have no way of knowing), then are you removing one of their targets?? Just a thought.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My doctor is amazed that in the summer time when I ride a lot my a1c drops down to 6.1 from 6.8 in the winter.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    My doctor is amazed that in the summer time when I ride a lot my a1c drops down to 6.1 from 6.8 in the winter.
    Why is that amazing?
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Cycling and new medication, cycling a big part, has brought my HbA1c down to 5.4. Find some way to do winter cycling--if the winter weather is too severe, cold, snow, rain, get a trainer or see if there's gym where you can do spinning. When I was recovering from hand surgery, carpal tunnel and trigger finger releases, I did step ups in my garage for 4 weeks 6 days a week to keep up my cardio. Find something, jumping rope, something to to help you maintain conditioning.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    My wife has fibro...

She is also very conscious of what she eats. Unfortunately, a lot of foods kick her fibro up a notch. So she's a vegetarian who can't eat eggplant or tomatoes. She's also doing Wii Fit and yoga. Anything not knock the cobwebs out of the joints helps.
    She looks to be in great shape!
    I've found also that certain foods aggravate symptoms, so I've also gone off of the nightshade related foods, processed foods, and most meats.
    It didn't help I got shingles a few weeks ago as well. But I still rode a mile or three, as it also helps with depression that seems to go along with these troubles. A plus is having plenty of paths to ride on from the house, mostly away from traffic, on my off-days. Figure even if I should ever live to be a hundred, I could still handle a ride like that.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
    My wife has fibro. And lately, she's discovered that cycling helps.

A lovely addition to the cycling world for sure!!

Best wishes that riding helps her plenty!
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_V View Post
    Both my primary care and hematologist/oncologist are cyclist and every time I see them, they tell me not to stop riding. I've lost 30 pounds cycling and, except for my leukemia meds, have been taken off of every medication I was on. Cycling is a great way to stay healthy for those of us over a certain age.
    It also puts me in a much better state of mind. Sometimes I start out rather low in spirits, but by the end of the ride, I'm much happier. Haven't lost any weight, but my endurance has certainly improved. Rode the trike for 5 hours yesterday, most of it climbing hills, and yet I could come home, do laundry, make dinner, etc. Not too much pain, either. Took 2 Aleve yesterday but today haven't needed it. Even worked on the trike, cleaning the chain, adjusting the rear derailleur... that used to do me in. Now, it is not so bad! Hoping to go on a day trip tomorrow.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the greatest motivation to ride but I hope it helps a lot. It seems we all are connected to someone who has fibro. Good luck.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much! Today was a good day, rode 27.5 miles. Heating pad, Aleve, and Ben-Gay made the day more bearable afterward.