Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is Tired and then there is Tired.

I have started riding at night lately. Why? I don’t know, I am retired and I have all day to ride in the day time if I want. The point is I just came in from a hard ride and I am exhausted. But the tired I am feeling right now is a good tired. It is not the same feeling I have when I am fatigued from doing normal chores. I have lost 52 lbs on Weight Watchers in last 6 months but I seem to have hit a wall and I am not losing like I was. I am hoping that if I ride hard enough to completely give myself out several times a week that the weight will start coming off again. Anyway, I am sitting here almost too tired to type but it is a “good” kind of tired. So I have decided there is a good tired and a bad tired. The one you get from bike riding is the good one.

Is there a question here? No. I am just expressing some thoughts about riding.

The more I ride my Trek the more I love that bike.

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What can we say? You rock.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please see the thread about exercising killing you.

You know, you just can't win!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is riding at night, compared to riding during the day? I have no lights (legally required in Illinois for riding at night), so I have no clue. In this area, I'd think one would have to pick millers and those weird brown beetle things out of one's teeth, as they get attracted to one's headlight.

My Bikes
    Fuji, Specialized, Surly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker View Post
    I have started riding at night lately. Why? I don’t know, I am retired and I have all day to ride in the day time if I want. The point is I just came in from a hard ride and I am exhausted. But the tired I am feeling right now is a good tired. It is not the same feeling I have when I am fatigued from doing normal chores. I have lost 52 lbs on Weight Watchers in last 6 months but I seem to have hit a wall and I am not losing like I was. I am hoping that if I ride hard enough to completely give myself out several times a week that the weight will start coming off again. Anyway, I am sitting here almost too tired to type but it is a “good” kind of tired. So I have decided there is a good tired and a bad tired. The one you get from bike riding is the good one.

I get the same feeling when doing a hard ride, especially with some of the people in the group I ride with. I discovered road cycling about a year ago and about six months ago felt like I hit a wall. My problem is not really my weight but I was recently looking at a picture from December and noticed that my "spare tire" has really gone away even though I have gained around ten pounds in the year.

So I guess maybe my point is if you are gaining some muscle your weight might not drop as quickly as you expect but your body tone will get better....at least that happened to me.

Keep up the good work and it will pay off! If you are enjoying it then it's makes it easier to be consistent.
    Cycling is an addiction that is worth having; let's go!! South TX Randos www.rgvrandos.org

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'm a relative newby at long-distance cycling (2 1/2 seasons), I feel like I have new definitions for tired. Different kinds of tired like Eskimos have different kinds of snow. Ten million kinds of tired. Most of them fall in the "good" category.

Bonking is bad tired. Bonking is a close-to-death kind of tired.

A stressful day at the office is bad tired. A soul sucking kind of tired.

A good hard ride? Yeah, that's some good tired.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mention a Plateau on losing weight so don't "Over" exercise to get past it as that will bring on a tiredness that is not good.

Work just hard enough to stay in the fat burning zone and you could stop losing weight as Exercise will replace fat with muscle so you may not lose a great deal but you will be leaner and fitter. And it will keep you within the good tired zone as it also exercises the brain aswell as the body.
    Last edited by stapfam; 06-06-12 at 01:12 AM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downtube42 View Post
    Although I'm a relative newby at long-distance cycling (2 1/2 seasons), I feel like I have new definitions for tired. Different kinds of tired like Eskimos have different kinds of snow. Ten million kinds of tired. Most of them fall in the "good" category.

Bonking is bad tired. Bonking is a close-to-death kind of tired.

A stressful day at the office is bad tired. A soul sucking kind of tired.

A good hard ride? Yeah, that's some good tired.
    Excellent post. The English language could use new terms for "tired".

There is a "too tired to mow the yard but not too tired to ride 40 hilly miles" type.

There is a "mind-numbness from having to fill out forms in triplicate when you just filed them all out 6 months ago and nothing's changed" tired.

There's a "rode 40 miles and crushed everyone's soul" tired vs "I did a group ride but after 2 miles I got dropped and rode the rest of the way in stony silence" type of thing.

Lots of room for neologisms here.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll wager you are sleeping much better too. Noticed this when I began running and throwing track and field and cross-country in high school as well as my bicycling. Probably feel the mind is clearer too.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    trek 460 road racer
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonking is when you stop the bike, fall on the ground, reach for the cell phone and call your support vehicle aka "spousal unit".

Great job on the pursuit of better health....you've grasped it.

If I find extra time this summer I'm going to be riding at night. Few things are as fun as riding solo on a rural/wooded MUP late at night and seeing things move on the very edge of your headlight beam.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandaddyBiker View Post

Wow! Congratulations on the weight loss. Don't worry about the weight loss slowing down. It often happens if you're getting close to your goal weight. I'm a lifetime WW member and now work for them part-time. Just keep on plan and you'll get the results you want.

Another congrats on owning a Trek I love mine, too.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Novara Verita, Trek 4500 MTB, Merckx Team SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "good tired"...I like your words on this. Congrats on the weight loss success, and also on finding a way to continue an active lifestyle. Very inspirational!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    How is riding at night, compared to riding during the day? I have no lights (legally required in Illinois for riding at night), so I have no clue. In this area, I'd think one would have to pick millers and those weird brown beetle things out of one's teeth, as they get attracted to one's headlight.
    Here in South Carolina the temperature is often hot and very humid. The humidity makes it fell hotter than it really is. So riding at night is more comfortable. That will be especially true come July and August. There is generally less traffic at night. The traffic reduces even further at night if you stay off the main roads.

For lights I use a homemade tail light. It is a mini mag light with a red lens that I clamp onto my rear rack. I don’t have an attached front light on my Trek but my other bikes do have attached lights. I have been using a hand light that is small enough to put my hand around the light and the handle bar at the same time (3 cell LED min mag). The advantage of using a hand held light is that I can shine it places that a fixed light could not shine. For example, the name on the top of a street post sign or to take a quick look at my GPS that is mounted on my stem. I plan to have both a fixed light and a non fixed I just haven’t done it yet. For my fixed light I have been seriously considering the Princeton Tec Corona Bike Light. http://www.brightguy.com/Princeton+T...ona+BIKE+Light Amazon and lots of other places carry it.

Another thing about night riding is that you need to be extra aware of your surroundings.
    Last edited by GrandaddyBiker; 06-06-12 at 12:37 PM. Reason: changed word

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On lights- That Brightguy does not give the right message to me. Plenty of LED's but no Lumen count (brightness of the Lamp) and No distance of beam quoted.

You don't have to go Expensive on lights but I would give this one a miss. BUT- The Magicshine UK Link is

http://www.magicshineonline.co.uk/

The power to cost ratio is good and is a lamp rated by others on this forum--who should be able to give you a link to a US site.

Just checked again and the Brightguy is 90 lumens. That is not enough even for road use. Mine has 170 lumens on low power and 560 on full. Low power is used uphills where I am going slow-and I do mean slow.Put some more speed on and you will welcome a good lamp.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes GrandaddyBike,

I agree totally! Riding at night is wonderful and I recommend it. I commute to work and my morning commute is almost always in the dark. Our club rides during the week start at 6:00PM, so at least the last part of these rides are in the dark.

And then when I ride double centuries, I get to ride the first hour or more in the dark as well as (depending on time of year) the last hour or more.

Regarding weight loss, I got serious about it when I hit 180 lb. and am now down to 158 lb. but having a really difficult time getting those last few pounds off to hit my goal weight of 155. More than really difficult . . . still working on it though.

This Saturday I'm scheduled to ride a century that has 9,400 feet of climbing in the 101 miles and I'm sure my weight loss will make the climbing a tad easier; at least I hope so.

Also, what Stapfam and others have said about muscle mass is true, i.e. it's lots heavier than fat!

Rick / OCRR