Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mountain vs. Road Pedals

My grown daughter has a road bike here so that when she visits (Missouri to Kansas) she can ride with us. However, the bike doesn't have any pedals, so she always has to bring her own.

I think she has SPD pedals.

I saw these on Craigslist

5L95N95F43G73L43Nec5s77f3a9132dea13d3.jpg

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/bik/3008839304.html

but they are mountain bike pedals. Would they be reasonable, or would they just not work? I'd like to get some because I know that someday, she's going to forget to bring (or take back) her pedals.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. I just noticed that I could get these:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...35_-1___202531

for about the same price.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pedal that is SPD will work if she has SPD compatable cleats. I have SPD 'mountain bike" pedals on my road bike, and Shimano SPD road pedals on my hybrid. The pedals don't know the difference what kind of bike they are on.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregf83 View Post
    My Tandem gets used with several "New" stokers and I can never tell if they are going to turn up with SPD shoes or trainers. So since 2005- The tandem has been fitted with these pedals. Absolutely no problems although I probably did check the tightness of the screws holding on the Plastic cage. As Stoker-I use these pedals when I have a decent Pilot and no adverse report from me as to comfort- use- or suitability. They probably did 8,000 miles on the Tandem and were collared by my Son in law for his commuter when he broke my Old Pedals that came off the Tandem---- M 515's- the predecessor of the M520's.

Plenty of similar pedals around and I may just be lucky but I buy a pair of Shimano pedals and they stay on the bike. Never need servicing unless it is to tighten the tension screw as the cleats wear out. Just trying Roadie pedals and shoes and I may be changing back to Spd's
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had those very Shimanos on my Fisher for 4 or 5 years and have had no problems with them. I would agree with those reviewers who talk about the "platforms" not being very good for non-cleated shoes. I don't know what exactly their problems are with them, but for me, the cleat engaging mechanism in the pedal never pushes down completely below the plane of the platform edges. I suspect that was an intentional design feature, otherwise your cleated shoe, if not precisely placed over the pedal, could push the mechanism down far enough that the cleat wouldn't engage before your shoe tread met the platform edge.

But I never ride the Fisher in anything but cleated mtb shoes anyway, so it's never been an issue with me. Durability has been fine, too.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clips on just one side will always face down as the mechanism is heavier on that side, so to clip in you need to flip the pedal with your toe then quickly clip in before the pedal rolls back over. P.I.T.A.

Clip on both sides weighs more but works better. Platform around the clips means you can ride without clipping in, if you don't plan to do that, skip the platforms and just get (double sided) clips.

Personally I find SPD type pedals a bit hard to clip into as it's not always easy to "find" the clip mechanism with the bottom of your foot. Much prefer SPD-SL or lollipop pedals.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If she is using SPDs, I'd just buy new M520s. They can be had for $46 or less new. My wife uses them on her road bike and prefers them to road pedals. Definately need verify the cleat type she has on her shoes before buying.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what your daughter is used to. My wife and I use the Shimano PD M324s (platform on one side like the Nashbar pedal). They work fine but I have tried 520s and will eventually throw a pair of them on since I prefer not to have to kick the pedal over. We got the M324s so we could ride the platforms in stop and go city traffic when we were first riding clipless and wanted to avoid the falls everyone says are inevitable -- we both successfully did avoid falls. My wife will not ride anything without a platform on one side since she wants to be out of the clips in stop and go.

As a side issue, we prefer the SPD shoes and sandals for ease of walking around. We frequently stop mid ride for lunch or other activities.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar has the Shimano 324 pedals on sale right now for about half price. We just tried them on a 750 mile tour, and my wife is really sold on them. I'm still a little ambivalent. We used Look pedals for several years. The 324's are good for starting with a loaded bike on steep hills. You can pedal even without clipping in. Getting clipped in is often difficult under those conditions.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._202327_202352

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    If she is using SPDs, I'd just buy new M520s. They can be had for $46 or less new...
    This is what I'd do also. Those platforms "bug" me. My lady friend runs SPDs on the Bianchi I got her last year. She has no interest in SPD-SL or Look. I admit that the double-sidedness of her pedals are handy.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the 324's. I've got them on my Cannondale T1. I use M770's on my singlespeed road bike. They work very well but are much more expensive than the 324's. Al

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, those Shimano M424s in the original post are double-sided, that is they don't require flipping to clip into. Same mechanism top and bottom.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Old Specialized FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this pedal on both, my MTB and road bike, because I didn't want to have to own two different pairs of shoes.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...67_-1___202530

With these shoes.
    http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/pr...MULTI_RX_SHOES
    Been chatting to a 14 year old girl online. She's funny, sexy and flirty. Now she tells me she is an undercover cop! How cool is that at her age!?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Thinking isn't good enough.

The pedals have to match her shoe cleats. I'd ask her spacifically what she needs or even get her to buy them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    For the record, those Shimano M424s in the original post are double-sided, that is they don't require flipping to clip into. Same mechanism top and bottom.
    Correct. I use these on my commuter. The nice thing about them is that they are wide enough that I can ride them with dress shoes and not have to clip in. Or, if one of my sons comes to visit, wants to ride, but doesn't have his shoes, he can ride with regular street shoes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road shoes with road cleats are harder to walk in. I recommend SPD pedals and mountain shoes. They will come with cleats and you can mount them to her shoe IF it had the 2 hole pattern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

The pedals have to match her shoe cleats. I'd ask her spacifically what she needs or even get her to buy them.
    +1 Crank Brothers cleats look similar to spds and they are not interchangeable. Ask her what she uses.

train safe-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

+1, don't assume (we know what that results in) ask what pedals she has first, ave you and her the time, money and frustration should you get the wrong pedals. If you have checked with her, good on you.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Trek 900, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '92 Schwinn Crosscut, '03 Diamondback Tandem, '94 Yokota Grizzly Peak
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got some Performance Campus (SPD/platform) pedals on the tandem. They work just fine, though they are not weighted enough for either side to always be facing up. they are rebranded Wellgo's, and also sold as the Nashbar Rodeo. If you have a Team Perfromance membership, this weekend is triple points and the pedals are on sale for $35, so it is effectively under $25.
    2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '88 Trek 900, '92 Trek T100, 2000 Rans Tailwind

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I checked with her, and bought these pedals:

1 "Shimano PD-M324 Clipless/Clip Pedals"
    Sports; $45.99

They have a platform on one side in case she forgets to bring her bike shoes when she visits.

Thanks,

Al

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pedals come with new cleats so it will not matter if she had another type of cleat as long as it will take a 2 bolt cleat pattern.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug64 View Post
    Pedals come with new cleats so it will not matter if she had another type of cleat as long as it will take a 2 bolt cleat pattern.
    The bolt cleat pattern won't matter either. She'll just have to make sure that her new shoes match the cleats.

My Bikes
    ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, '09 Fiji Aloha 1.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    My Tandem gets used with several "New" stokers and I can never tell if they are going to turn up with SPD shoes or trainers. So since 2005- The tandem has been fitted with these pedals. Absolutely no problems although I probably did check the tightness of the screws holding on the Plastic cage. As Stoker-I use these pedals when I have a decent Pilot and no adverse report from me as to comfort- use- or suitability. They probably did 8,000 miles on the Tandem and were collared by my Son in law for his commuter when he broke my Old Pedals that came off the Tandem---- M 515's- the predecessor of the M520's.

Plenty of similar pedals around and I may just be lucky but I buy a pair of Shimano pedals and they stay on the bike. Never need servicing unless it is to tighten the tension screw as the cleats wear out. Just trying Roadie pedals and shoes and I may be changing back to Spd's
    I have to agree with my "brother by another mother." I too have nashbar platform/spds on my Tandem, and on my son's MTB. While it's only been 1/5 yrs, no problems at all. There a great all purpose solution, and nashbar stuff is a pretty good value, IMHO.
    BT
    '09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '09 Fuji Aloha 1.0 TT build. with lollipops
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem
    '06 Mongoose Commuter
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    "Oh, to be 60 again!"

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...c/exercise.png

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    My grown daughter has a road bike here so that when she visits (Missouri to Kansas) she can ride with us. However, the bike doesn't have any pedals, so she always has to bring her own.

I saw these on Craigslist

5L95N95F43G73L43Nec5s77f3a9132dea13d3.jpg

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/bik/3008839304.html

but they are mountain bike pedals. Would they be reasonable, or would they just not work? I'd like to get some because I know that someday, she's going to forget to bring (or take back) her pedals.

I'm sorry but I'm confused.

Why do you not ask daughter what brand/type of pedal she transports back and forth then just buy the same set for the bike at your home she rides??

What is so hard about doing that??
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast