Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-12, 01:31 PM   #1
tony_merlino

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Solution for neck pain on long rides - pics

I posted about my problem with fairly severe pain in my neck on long rides, particularly on one of my bikes, about a week ago:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-longer-rides

I got a lot of great suggestions, but the one that I adopted was from FrenchFit, who suggested trekking bars with bar ends. I'll try it out on a long ride this weekend, weather permitting, but I'm pretty optimistic - it seemed to really do the trick on the short test ride I did.

Thanks!

Here's the bike with the modified cockpit:

Just as a weird data point, I had a pro fit done on another bike (a road bike), and the result was to put the handlebars about 2 inches above the seat level, swap out the old bars for ones that were pretty much horizontal from the tops to the hoods, and to bring the bars closer. I rode that bike for about 2 hours on Sunday, and yes, there was some discomfort. But it was completely tolerable. AND - my neck has been better since that ride, than it has been for weeks. Bianchi therapy?

Here's what the road bike looks like after the pro fit:

I wonder if this will mean that I can take the bar ends off the hybrid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bianchis 001.jpg (99.9 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg bianchis 002.jpg (99.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg bianchis 003.jpg (91.0 KB, 75 views)
tony_merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 02:59 PM   #2
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
tony-I just shortened the stem on my titanium bike in an effort to bring my head up a bit. It helped , however, I'm thinking that raising the bar a bit will help even more esp. as its working for you.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 05:07 PM   #3
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
Glad it worked out for you.
Phil85207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 09:01 AM   #4
tony_merlino

Bikes:
I got to try it on a 2 1/2 hour ride on Saturday, and ... NO PAIN! Looks kludgy as hell, but NO PAIN!

The way I've got those bar ends set up, they almost form another handlebar - I found that I could control the bike over every road condition I encountered. So this is kind of the best of all worlds - the normal position for most of the time, an aero position for when you need it, the sides of the trekking bars for a change of position, and a uber-relaxed position for just cruising along ...
tony_merlino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 06:30 AM   #5
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Tony, if it works for you and you can ride without pain then it is a winner set up in my book. The bars actually look like a professional set up the way you have everything assembled. Hope you can enjoy your rides now.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 08:48 PM   #6
irwin7638

Bikes: Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_merlino View Post
I posted about my problem with fairly severe pain in my neck on long rides, particularly on one of my bikes, about a week ago:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-longer-rides

I got a lot of great suggestions, but the one that I adopted was from FrenchFit, who suggested trekking bars with bar ends. I'll try it out on a long ride this weekend, weather permitting, but I'm pretty optimistic - it seemed to really do the trick on the short test ride I did.

Thanks!

Here's the bike with the modified cockpit:

Just as a weird data point, I had a pro fit done on another bike (a road bike), and the result was to put the handlebars about 2 inches above the seat level, swap out the old bars for ones that were pretty much horizontal from the tops to the hoods, and to bring the bars closer. I rode that bike for about 2 hours on Sunday, and yes, there was some discomfort. But it was completely tolerable. AND - my neck has been better since that ride, than it has been for weeks. Bianchi therapy?

Here's what the road bike looks like after the pro fit:

I wonder if this will mean that I can take the bar ends off the hybrid...
A variety of positions is usually the answer. I wouldn't use a straight bar on any bike.

Marc
irwin7638 is offline   Reply With Quote