Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solution for neck pain on long rides - pics

I posted about my problem with fairly severe pain in my neck on long rides, particularly on one of my bikes, about a week ago:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-longer-rides

I got a lot of great suggestions, but the one that I adopted was from FrenchFit, who suggested trekking bars with bar ends. I'll try it out on a long ride this weekend, weather permitting, but I'm pretty optimistic - it seemed to really do the trick on the short test ride I did.

Thanks!

Here's the bike with the modified cockpit:
    bianchis 001.jpgbianchis 002.jpg

Just as a weird data point, I had a pro fit done on another bike (a road bike), and the result was to put the handlebars about 2 inches above the seat level, swap out the old bars for ones that were pretty much horizontal from the tops to the hoods, and to bring the bars closer. I rode that bike for about 2 hours on Sunday, and yes, there was some discomfort. But it was completely tolerable. AND - my neck has been better since that ride, than it has been for weeks. Bianchi therapy?

Here's what the road bike looks like after the pro fit:

bianchis 003.jpg

I wonder if this will mean that I can take the bar ends off the hybrid...
    L'asino di Buridano...

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tony-I just shortened the stem on my titanium bike in an effort to bring my head up a bit. It helped , however, I'm thinking that raising the bar a bit will help even more esp. as its working for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it worked out for you.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got to try it on a 2 1/2 hour ride on Saturday, and ... NO PAIN! Looks kludgy as hell, but NO PAIN!

The way I've got those bar ends set up, they almost form another handlebar - I found that I could control the bike over every road condition I encountered. So this is kind of the best of all worlds - the normal position for most of the time, an aero position for when you need it, the sides of the trekking bars for a change of position, and a uber-relaxed position for just cruising along ...
    L'asino di Buridano...

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony, if it works for you and you can ride without pain then it is a winner set up in my book. The bars actually look like a professional set up the way you have everything assembled. Hope you can enjoy your rides now.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_merlino View Post
    I posted about my problem with fairly severe pain in my neck on long rides, particularly on one of my bikes, about a week ago:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-longer-rides

I got a lot of great suggestions, but the one that I adopted was from FrenchFit, who suggested trekking bars with bar ends. I'll try it out on a long ride this weekend, weather permitting, but I'm pretty optimistic - it seemed to really do the trick on the short test ride I did.

Thanks!

Here's the bike with the modified cockpit:
    bianchis 001.jpgbianchis 002.jpg

Just as a weird data point, I had a pro fit done on another bike (a road bike), and the result was to put the handlebars about 2 inches above the seat level, swap out the old bars for ones that were pretty much horizontal from the tops to the hoods, and to bring the bars closer. I rode that bike for about 2 hours on Sunday, and yes, there was some discomfort. But it was completely tolerable. AND - my neck has been better since that ride, than it has been for weeks. Bianchi therapy?

Here's what the road bike looks like after the pro fit:

bianchis 003.jpg

I wonder if this will mean that I can take the bar ends off the hybrid...
    A variety of positions is usually the answer. I wouldn't use a straight bar on any bike.

Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

"I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

"You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider