Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indy Tour de Cure this weekend

Saturday morning I'll be riding with Team Nebo Ridge's TdC group (currently at 40 strong) at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Most of them are going for a sub-4 hour century, but that won't be me. I'll hang with them and help as long as I can, but so far I've only worked my way up to the bottom tier of the B group rides (18-19 mph average on roads with traffic stops and some very gentle terrain). I suspect I can hang with the fast riders for a lap or two, but at that point, I (and I hope a few others like me) will need to pull off to ride at a less insane pace, or else I won't have the legs to do much of anything more.

The only things I have going for me are the facts that I'm a faster rider than I was at this time last year, and my mileage base for the season is over 700 compared to just over 200 when I did this ride as a metric century last year.

Wish me luck!
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weather should be quite tolerable this weekend. Good luck and have fun!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Craig! Looks like a fun ride from everything I have seen on it.

I was wondering if 40 laps of the track would leave one getting a little tired of the scenery even if it is Indy. Still it would be a very interesting place to ride.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    ... I was wondering if 40 laps of the track would leave one getting a little tired of the scenery even if it is Indy. Still it would be a very interesting place to ride.
    The first year I rode, it was unique enough to be interesting. There's always somebody to catch and pass... even if it is the same 30 people over and over again. Plus that monster paceline screaming around the track with the tail end whipping around makes for some occasional excitement.

The second year it got a bit boring.

The third year I did the road ride to break the monotony.

This year I'm back to the track for 100 miles, trying to best my total elapsed time, using a no-draft policy.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

My Bikes
    Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Motobecane Gran Turismo , KHS Urban X
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Luck Everyone . .And thanks for caring .. . . 10 wheels . . . start you engines