Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RtR prelim--calm before the storm???

I flew in to Denver yesterday to spend a couple of days with my son and his family in Denver prior to Ride the Rockies that starts on Saturday. We had a hot, dry day yesterday...until the storms hit. Unbelievable wind, up to three inches of hail!! The driveway was covered in it, the roofs look like a winter storm came through. We are in Highlands Ranch, a little south of Denver, and the wind was incredible last night.

The news says that Parker was especially hard hit. DnvrFox, are you OK?

Maybe this is the storm before the calm (although they expect more of it tonight). My feelings are let the bad weather come now-- I really don't want to see it next week while we are riding in the mountains. Although these are the things legendary rides are made of.

train safe-

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the storms forming up and moving through the Denver area last night on WC radar. Pretty intense storms y'all had out there. DIA was diverting flights right and left and the departures were curtailed due to the flight paths being shut down from all directions. As you said Denver, are you and Mrs. Nora all right? Pleas all 50+ members in the Denver area check in and let us know if everyone is alright.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

cycling for 50 plus yrs colorado dale's Avatar
    My Bikes
    IF Crown Jewell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sirens in Lakewood, CO started at 11:30 PM pea to marble sized hail it appears most of plants survived hopefully wont need to get 3rd new roof in 4 yrs
    one of the heavily hit areas wadsworth and us 285 is 2 miles away http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/06/0...enver-streets/

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'd had my tent set up it probably would have wound up Kansas.......with me in it?????

Glad that stuff has already come through. Hopefully all the flights will be back to normal by Saturday.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best Regards Team Leader!

I was north of you near Stapleton and didn't get storms as sever as you experienced. it was even worse near Castle Rock. I will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in South Denver tomorrow night.

Often in the West the severe weather happens more frequently during the evening. Lets hope that if there are storms next week that they will occur in the night.

How are you getting to Gunnison? We are driving a rental car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe- you would have ended up in OZ!!

gtragitt- I am going to Gunnison in the bus that leaves Highlands Ranch at 8:15 Saturday morning.

I pulled the bike out yesterday and have ridden around the neighborhood with my grandkids. That has been fun. I feel pretty good--acclimatization-wise. I am drinking lots of fluids and the activity of keeping up eith the kids (they are big soccer players), has been good. I enjoy these couple of days prior to the ride a lot, as I get to catch up with them.

My plan several years ago was to make RtR an annual event. However, there is a group I ride with in DC that came with me on two occasions, and then they started planning trips elsewhere. A couple of years ago we did the Blue Ridge Parkway end to end. (that was a great ride). Last year i was unable to go, and they went to Spain. This year they are going to Northern California in about 2 weeks.

I am staying at the 'indoor' camping sites this trip. I will be on the lookout for both of you. It is going to be a great ride

train safe-

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday & Saturday night looks to be rather breezy with winds gusting to 35 mph. I better to make sure I have enough tent stakes........The first day of riding is a bit calmer but the wind will probaly be a factor--crosswinds and headwinds. After that the prevailing winds might just be a little helpful........Last year it seemed like headwinds for the first 5 days.

I rode a little easy 30 miler last night and my back didn't bother me too much unless I tried to pedal pretty hard. Hopefully I can keep it calmed down. I got the result from my blood tests back and it shows some "issues" with infections, allergic responses, etc. We'll see!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much ado about nothing. Just a CO storm - we get them all the time.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my bicycle out for a short 30 minute ride this afternoon. It felt so good to get on the bicycle today. It was also an opportunity to ensure that the bicycle is ready for the real ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I registered and picked up a demo bicycle. I figure the easy climbing day is the best bet for riding a demo. Mine has a 175 mm crank and the 12-30 Tiagra vs a 172.5 crank and a 11-28 cassette.

I drove to Crested Butte where we are spending the night. I will catch the 5:30 AM shuttle in the morning back to Gunnison.

I will wear my 50 Plus jersey in the morning; so, you can recognize me when you pass me. I will be riding a white Specialized Roubaix S-Works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Much ado about nothing. Just a CO storm - we get them all the time.
    Big mountains make big weather. Just be done riding by early in the afternoon and you'll be fine.
    FS: Shimano DA 7900 brake calipers, DA 7900 Crankset 50/34 175mm and BB