We have had a couple of years now in the South East of the UK without too much rain. This has led to low water supplies in the resoirvoirs and the underground systems and we were in danger of running out of the wet stuff. In April this year a drought order was put in place to allow more water to be drawn from rivers to replenish the resoirvoirs and a hose pipe ban put in place.
However April then turned into the wettest for years with nearly 3 times the monthly rainfall. It was rather damp and the water butts in my garden were overflowing and I had to drain water from the wife's swimming pool. May continued on in a like vain although the last couple of weeks in the month were good and sunny and temps got up in the high 70's That broke with the Jubilee celebrations and rain came down again. Pleased me in a way as 2 hours watering the garden with watering cans was getting tedious when it got to a daily basis.
Well the resoirvoirs are full- and so is my garden. Most of the jobs I have to do are outside- including riding. I haven't been out on the bike all week and I am beginning to feel it. Had to go out to the town yesterday and I walked. I don't do walking but there was no way I was riding in that weather. Along with the rain came a wind but that was the lull before the storm. There is a bit of a breeze running up the English Channel today and 40 to 50 mph winds are hitting us. Roads are not too safe as trees and branches down and still higher winds are expected. Winds will drop for the weekend only to be replaced with more rain. I know it is not as extreme as some parts of the US are getting but this is June. The sunny month where temps start rising and should be the month for all the Good rides to be done. July warms up a bit and August gets muggy with a few storms.
The drought order is still in place and I have had enough. Any more drought and I will have to buy a pair of waders. It's over the top of my boots now. So any of you coming to the UK shortly- Make certain you have a good waterproof. Looks like you are going to need it for the near future. The weather is not improving and one ride I had entered for this weekend has already been cancelled. A 50 miler with not too many hills but it is a bit exposed. Strength of that wind means that I would not have been going but I am not pre-entering any rides for the next month. The wind may drop but it has to get a lot drier before I am going to commit myself to any ride. I'll look at the forecast and wake up on the morning of the ride and then go if the conditions are right
Link to our local area is below.