Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    LDB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days ago I went to my LBS. A block before getting there I saw a person on a bike and on the handlebar sat a bird that I think was blue, red and yellow and about 2 feet from top of head to tip of the tailfeathers. It was such a quick glimpse I'm not positive of any of it but in the second I looked it turned it's head so I presume it was a living bird.
    1974 Raleigh International, 2013 Specialized Crossroads, 195x Hercules 3 spd
    My hero was the tortoise not the hare. One mailbox at a time.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, how do you keep the bird poo off your back?
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    thank you! interesting video--had not seen it before. clever perch. it looks as if the macaw is flighted and tethered--i was pretty sure i saw a glint off the line, but i cannot tell from the vid if there are two unclipped wings or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wthensler View Post
    Use the pack. We have three parrots (one Moluccan Cockatoo) and we like to take them outside, as they clearly enjoy it. But we take steps to safeguard them as well. I would think your Umbrella would enjoy it......
    for those who feel more comfortable with the bird encased, or if you need rain protection, those packs are indeed wonderful! unfortunately, like most great outdoor equipment, they're pretty costly. when they first came out, they were only around 100 dollars, and we were going to get one, but other things got in the way. by the time we decided to buy, they had gone way up. i don't know if they even offer nylon mesh any more on the packs, but one reason they are now so expensive is because they use a steel mesh (parrots are known to chew like dogs through anything placed near their beaks).

so, yah, i agree--they do work--and they sub as a cage/carrier/rain protection/night sleeper if it's a long ride. and it just dawned on me that even though we like being able to have our bird out, if we have 2 people riding on a longer ride, one of us can strap the cage to the back of the bike in case we do hit rain. gotta get one of those packs!! lol

thanks for the pic

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to drive with my Cockatiel loose in the truck. She'd get on the dash, spread her wings and pretend she was flying. I thought the funniest part was when she'd bank for corners!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Okay, how do you keep the bird poo off your back?

lol -- you had better not be drinking hot coffee when you read the answer to this one! don't know if you saw our video, but the bird is wearing a 'flight suit', which contains a 'bird diaper.' yes, a diaper.

our birds are poop-trained in the house, but they weren't trained from birth (people only recently are talking about poop-training baby birds), so we trained late and they were trained to go on any 'approved' perch (we hadn't anticipated a bicycle perch at the time). plus, even though more isolated on the body, when we shift (literally and figuratively) as we ride, if we don't 'call it' (we always try to), those are unexpected to a passenger on the body. so, they have a hard time avoiding 'accidents.' therefore, we removed the variables and just put the diaper on--it's automatically part of the 'flight suit,' which is one of the standard harnesses available for leashing a pet bird.
    Last edited by flychomperfly; 03-25-13 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is all serious?
    If you don't know the way, you shouldn't be going there.

My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flychomperfly View Post
    lol -- you had better not be drinking hot coffee when you read the answer to this one! don't know if you saw our video, but the bird is wearing a 'flight suit', which contains a 'bird diaper.' yes, a diaper.

our birds are poop-trained in the house, but they weren't trained from birth (people only recently are talking about poop-training baby birds), so we trained late and they were trained to go on any 'approved' perch (we hadn't anticipated a bicycle perch at the time). plus, even though more isolated on the body, when we shift (literally and figuratively) as we ride, if we don't 'call it' (we always try to), those are unexpected to a passenger on the body. so, they have a hard time avoiding 'accidents.' therefore, we removed the variables and just put the diaper on--it's automatically part of the 'flight suit,' which is one of the standard harnesses available for leashing a pet bird.

there are bird vests.
    first star on the right and straight on 'til morning

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flychomperfly View Post
    thank you! interesting video--had not seen it before. clever perch. it looks as if the macaw is flighted and tethered--i was pretty sure i saw a glint off the line, but i cannot tell from the vid if there are two unclipped wings or not.
    I was searching through ride videos on Youtube a few days before I saw this thread, and it was purely by chance that I saw it.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of figured that the flight suit acted like or contained a diaper. I did watch the video. No worries about the coffee--I don't partake, but it could well have been a different liquid, water, soda, tea.
    Please support diabetics like myself, a red rider, by supporting the American Diabetes Association.
    If you see a Tour de Cure event, consider participating or supporting a Red Rider or other participant.

My nephew's and his two friends' blog about their riding the East Coast, Maine to the Keys:
    http://brobreak.wordpress.com/

My Strava account

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All; I biked about 3100 miles with my Yellow Naped Amazon Parrot Barney last year. Here are instructions on how I modified a bike and made a cage for it. How To | Barney the Biking Bird You can also follow our adventures here https://www.facebook.com/BarneyTheBikingBird

Hope that you give it a try, it is a hoot

Feel free to ask questions.

Herb

My Bikes
    Beater single speed/fixie, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Giant Composite XTC 29er 1, Specialized Dolce Sport, (2) Trek 7.1FX, Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We saw a guy riding on the path here ( in Florida this week) with a large parrot sitting contently on the handle bars. We have seen him standing around letting the kids pet the bird and hold it. It was odd but cool. Personally I wouldn't do it but I don't drive with my dog in my lap either.

My Bikes
    Trek 4900, Marin Hawk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to drive with Moishe, my Yellow Naped Amazon sitting on the steering wheel. Bike ride is something I never thought about.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former."
    ― Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did the pirates do it?
    Rydadiamond

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I had an African Grey named George who loved cruising in the car so he could whistle and make car calls to all the pretty girls.

Talouse will go anywhere with me with the harness and will get tucked in under my jacket when we are in higher density areas.

We now have a small Conure that will get harness trained... Pearl is happy when she is with her people and does almost everything with us.

My Bikes
    3 rideable, 3 in pieces
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had to respond to Sixty Fiver to get our avatars on the same page, even if in the wrong order.

Pedals, Paddles and Poles Daspydyr's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Scott Spark 20, Orbea Orca
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to wear an eye patch when riding with your "parrot." Shout ARRRRGGGGHHH, scurvy dog when passing and fill the bottles with grog!
    I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123