Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the money, Bianchi or Raleigh?

Not starting a war. I live in Louisiana and am getting ready to buy one of two bikes for about the same price, $450-to-$500, both in near-mint condition: a 1997 Bianchi Campione d'Italia with all Campi Chorus equipment; or a Raleigh R700 Comp with all Shimano Ultegra equipment. The looks of the all-steel Italian bike are more my style. The Raleigh weighs slightly less and its components are arguably better. I'm principally interested in training, not racing. Looking at original purchase prices, the Raleigh's the bargain for under $500. But I'll greatly appreciate any feedback. Short and sweet is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to say the Raleigh is a 1998 model.

My Bikes
    RANS Cruz, Trek 7500fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For full Ultegra under $500, I'd go with the Raleigh if it fits. If you want to upgrade to any other frame material or geometry, you need only buy the frame...switch over all the Ultegra stuff.

I can't speak as to the Bianchi...it's your call. Which bike do you think feels and fits better?

Maybe save up for a NEW bike...for $500 you may be on the way to a much nicer bike if you save up for a few more months. A lot of improvements have come along in the last 7 years.

Personally, I would not spend $500 for a 1998 used bike. I'd want a new one, fit to me, to my specifications, under manufacturer's warranty. That's just me.
    Ride like a kid again...out the door, not a care in the world~

2005 Trek 7300fx; 2010 Fuji Saratoga 1.0 crank forward

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For street cred then go for the Bianchi. Problem is the Raleigh is not a bad bike, better components and lighter. Hills feel shorter on a light bike.

Only thing to do is try both bikes. Set them up for yourself and take a test ride. One of the two will stand out as being your next bike.