Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-05, 09:21 AM   #1
hoot

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For the money, Bianchi or Raleigh?

Not starting a war. I live in Louisiana and am getting ready to buy one of two bikes for about the same price, $450-to-$500, both in near-mint condition: a 1997 Bianchi Campione d'Italia with all Campi Chorus equipment; or a Raleigh R700 Comp with all Shimano Ultegra equipment. The looks of the all-steel Italian bike are more my style. The Raleigh weighs slightly less and its components are arguably better. I'm principally interested in training, not racing. Looking at original purchase prices, the Raleigh's the bargain for under $500. But I'll greatly appreciate any feedback. Short and sweet is fine.
hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 09:21 AM   #2
hoot

Bikes:
I forgot to say the Raleigh is a 1998 model.
hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 10:58 AM   #3
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie 21D, Fuji Saratoga 1.0
For full Ultegra under $500, I'd go with the Raleigh if it fits. If you want to upgrade to any other frame material or geometry, you need only buy the frame...switch over all the Ultegra stuff.

I can't speak as to the Bianchi...it's your call. Which bike do you think feels and fits better?

Maybe save up for a NEW bike...for $500 you may be on the way to a much nicer bike if you save up for a few more months. A lot of improvements have come along in the last 7 years.

Personally, I would not spend $500 for a 1998 used bike. I'd want a new one, fit to me, to my specifications, under manufacturer's warranty. That's just me.
ChiliDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-05, 11:31 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For street cred then go for the Bianchi. Problem is the Raleigh is not a bad bike, better components and lighter. Hills feel shorter on a light bike.

Only thing to do is try both bikes. Set them up for yourself and take a test ride. One of the two will stand out as being your next bike.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote