Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Father's Day dirty metric

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 10:13 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Since my family gathered Saturday night for the Father's Day feast (my sons grilled steaks at my Dad's house), I had the day free for a long ride.
I took the monstercross bike out for a new dirt road route, taking in a couple of new sections and riding some familiar ones in the opposite direction from normal. It was a beautiful sunny day with mild wind and temps in the mid to upper 80s. I saw very few cars (pickup trucks mostly) on the vast majority of the route and the dogs were behaving today.

I made a stop at about 17 miles to rest, eat part of a Clif bar and a gel. At 38 miles, I stopped for lunch, a very tasty grouper wrap with a pasta salad. I guess I was an odd sight in my jersey and bibs among the rest of the customers, but nobody said anything and I didn't care anyway.

On a hill near a dairy farm, a young bull who had escaped from the fenced in pasture was startled to see me heading towards him on the road. I thought at first he was going to confront me, but he kept moving up the road and finally jumped through the barbed wire fence to return to his herd.

The Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross bike continues to please me with the way it handles all kinds of roads. On the first dirt road section I realized I had put too much air in the big 47mm tires and the ride was very rough, so I lowered the pressure and the difference was huge. Very smooth on the dirt and still rolling well on pavement.

Once I got home and cleaned up, I finished the leftover half of the huge ribeye steak left over from last night. It ws delicious again. My boy has replaced me as the family's grillmaster.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/190184391

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluesda...68920420/show/

Stallings by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Joe Miller 2 by BluesDawg, on Flickr

North Cross 1 by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Hungerford-Hwy 11 by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Randolph by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Folendore 2 by BluesDawg, on Flickr

young bull loose 2 by BluesDawg, on Flickr

Union Hill Church by BluesDawg, on Flickr
Old 06-18-12, 05:18 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Nice ride BD. I did my usual MUP ride and got in 30 miles. We got home and started working on getting the new Transit ready for our trip to Illinois this weekend. We got the deck drilled out for the all the anchor points and got the hinge on the deck mounted to accommodate for the split rear seats (the deck folds back so the seats can be placed upright without removing the deck). Then the wife painted the deck while I washed the transit. After a visit from my daughter and grandkids, the wife treated me to a nice steak dinner at Applebee's, followed by my favorite dessert, a Blondie. Very nice father's day.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-18-12, 05:42 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great report and pics BD, glad the monstercorss is turning out so well. If you read Road Bike Action, check out the gravel road bike article in the newest edition. thought about your Black Mountain when I read the article.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-18-12, 09:51 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Bill. I'll check that out.