Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Close call last night, got runn off the road.

After my ride and the ending of being run off the road, last night I am ordering my replacement lights and a bright jersey today. As I approached my home I noticed a car coming at me so I slowed to not cut in front of them. Looking back under my left arm I saw a Lincoln Town car approaching fast, with a truck behind it. I thought that they are not going to stop or even slow for me so I need to flip or fly. Fortunately I was in front of a lawn with no curb to hit. I unclipped my right foot and pulled off quickly, unceremoniously the front wheel washed out in soft sand, dumping me in the grass. Got up and watched the Town Car speed off. No injury what so ever, fortunately, and no harm to the bike. Thank God for the save.

Broad daylight, bright blue bike, hand signals used and no help to me at all. I didn't exist to them. All I could think of was the thread about bright, hi-vis clothing. I was wearing my 50+ jersey, guess I need more visible kit.

Not wanting an A&S argument about the driver or my actions, not much I could do different and the car/driver are long gone. Just thankful that I am okay.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank goodness you're okay and also the bike.

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like you were very aware of your surroundings and that is key to staying alive. Good job. Glad you are OK.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered Planet Bike LED head light and 3 LED blinkie tail light and a fluorescent yellow jersey from Amazon. Should at least help a bit.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    All Treks - fitness and road
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And don't forget to check your health plan coverage and life insurance policy.

Glad you survived a close call. I won't comment on your awareness or the Lincoln driver's lack of attention.

My thought is this: sharing the street with cars and trucks in today's world is like playing Russian roulette, but our odds for survival are somewhat better than playing with one bullet in a six-shooter. Losing either game, however, can be damn deadly. This is a statement of the obvious, but I see far too many bikers in low vis attire with no equipment to improve their visibility. Anything that improves our odds should be used: flashing lights day and night, flag, reflective tape, the hottest yellow or pink jersey we can find, etc. To hell with lookin' cool; we need to look like a rolling fireworks display.
    Last edited by SwampDude; 06-20-12 at 10:12 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Ordered Planet Bike LED head light and 3 LED blinkie tail light and a fluorescent yellow jersey from Amazon. Should at least help a bit.

Bill
    Quick thinking. Glad you're safe. Good move on the lights and hi-viz vest. I'm like a new religious convert ... fanatic about lights during the day and chartreuse vests.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you are OK! I'd look into mountain biking so the get off onto other surfaces isn't such an ordeal(not that a road bike would be much on sand but it does help). I rode up a drainage ditch(smooth cement) the other day just for fun. Had to pop a little wheelie to get off it and and ride thru grass to get back onto the road. MTB skills sure helped.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill
    Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the jersey?

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you weren't injured and the bike is OK. I hate it when people do stuff like that and don't have the common decency to stop and see if you are alright. The guy going the wrong way in the parking lot that caused my shoulder injury, last month, did the same thing. Never stopped.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SO and I did a MTB ride last night. On the drive home, this vehicle drifted into my lane (twice) and almost hit my car. We drove up along side and the car (actually a Tahoe) was being driven by what appeared to be a soccer mom texting away. We later got behind her and watched her not only drift over into the bike lane several times, but drift so bad she clipped the curb (and almost hit a lamp post). If there had been a cyclist it would have been a serious accident. I tried to drive along side her and say something but she never looked up from her phone... scary huh?

I love riding but more and more as the world becomes more electronically connected, I don't like being on the road. I still get out ont he road bike but do bike paths and trails as much as possible and of course, I am really starting to love mountain biking. Yes all sorts of other hazards but not soccer moms texting...

Thank goodness you are OK.
    Last edited by Pamestique; 06-20-12 at 09:43 AM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDude View Post
    ... Anything that improves our odds should be used: flashing lights day and night, flag, reflective tape, the hottest yellow or pink jersey we can find, etc. To hell with lookin' cool; we need to look like a rolling fireworks display.
    If someone's nose is in their phone, hot yellow and pink won't help you. People are driving looking down not out...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    All Treks - fitness and road
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamestique View Post
    If someone's nose is in their phone, hot yellow and pink won't help you. People are driving looking down not out...
    You are so right, and I share your special concern about drivers that text, read while driving, etc. I use the sidewalk as much as possible and time rides to avoid peak traffic periods. All I'm saying about high vis gear is if we are determined to ride the streets, becoming as visible as possible makes sense. The danger of our roads just doesn't seem to register with MANY of our fellow bikers.
    Last edited by SwampDude; 06-20-12 at 10:17 AM.

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My SO and I did a MTB ride last night. On the drive home, this vehicle drifted into my lane (twice) and almost hit my car. We drove up along side and the car (actually a Tahoe) was being driven by what appeared to be a soccer mom texting away. We later got behind her and watched her not only drift over into the bike lane several times, but drift so bad she clipped the curb (and almost hit a lamp post). If there had been a cyclist it would have been a serious accident. I tried to drive along side her and say something but she never looked up from her phone... scary huh?

I love riding but more and more as the world becomes more electronically connected, I don't like being on the road. I still get out ont he road bike but do bike paths and trails as much as possible and of course, I am really starting to love mountain biking. Yes all sorts of other hazards but not soccer moms texting...

Your car horn is your friend. If a driver next to me is on their phone and drifting into my lane, I blast my horn. That usually makes them snap back to the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    So Tom only hires people that are nutty? Is part of the requirement to be a moderator on this site is that you have to be nuts??
    Forum Guidelines *click here*

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankful you're OK too.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have called 911 to report a possible impaired driver complete with licence plate number. After all she was impaired by texting/phoning.

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, glad you're OK.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
    Your car horn is your friend. If a driver next to me is on their phone and drifting into my lane, I blast my horn. That usually makes them snap back to the road.
    I did that which kept her from hitting me but that and hitting the curb did not stop her from texting... I do love the new commercials out there that show the last word someone was texting or reading before they crashed and die. I know everyone thinks that won't happen to them but it can happen to anyone and that doesn't even address countless injuries suffered by bicyclist (especially here in So Cal where traffic is always heavy) injuried or killed by unattentive drivers. And to think I use to just worry about drunk drivers...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    I would have called 911 to report a possible impaired driver complete with licence plate number. After all she was impaired by texting/phoning.
    You are correct I should have and will next time it happens. Shame on me for not taking that step. At the time, I just wanted far away from her...

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a few years ago if a car was weaving in and out of lanes, it was likely a drunk driver. Now it is more likely someone on the phone or texting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar experience recently. I was nearly clipped while riding along in the bike lane. Driver was turned sideways as if messing with something in the center console. I watched in horror as the driver continued weaving back and forth into and out of the bike lane, so I took chase. I caught up with the driver at a red light and banged on her window (yes, i was in vigilante/confrontational mode in order to protect other riders). She was sifting through her purse and just looked at my blankly as I yelled through her window "You almost killed me back there!". She paid no heed and went on her merry way. For one more block, she was still sifting through her purse and continued to weave back and forth before coming to the next light. I caught her at again, rapt on her window, and got the same blank "what did I do?" look.. I gave up on the clueless, ignorant imbecile.

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice move on the bailout. That was quick thinking.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people are stupid, some are clueless and some are angry. Some are all the above. I try not to get concerned about the actions of others that I can't control anyway. On the other hand, I work hard on my own vigilance and do everything I can think of to be safer. I'm glad you had an escape route. If there is a stretch of road without an escape route, I probably won't ride on that road.

There is a section of road on one of my routes that narrows and the guard rail is right next to the road. I will detour around that section and actually seldom ride it. Much depends on day of the week and time of day.

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, dam glad you okay!!

Along with my bright blinking lights up front, and at least two red blinkys in the rear, I do a little zig zag too. The zig-zag is extra motion which is very, very noticeable, and it also makes a statement that "I am here on this road, and this is my part of the road"..Whether they take it(the road)from me or not, I am making a claim to it.

Again, my method assures me that the people see me. They still can run over me or knock me down, but they will know I am there..

Again, glad you survived it...
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill
    I always have my rear blinkie and a fluorescent jersey as well as a helmet mounted rear view mirror to help me make the bailout decision. Glad you're OK!
    __o
    _'\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I like my mirror. I very rarely have issues with traffic approaching from behind, but I track it with the mirror and maybe 2 or 3 times I bailed out to the right. I don't know for sure I would have been hit, but it was good to monitor traffic behind so I know how close it is.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast