Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another Med ? - PDT w/ Levulan

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 07:04 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Another Medical Question - but darn, I do value your input.

A long story, but I generally do not get along well with dermatologists - lots of negative experiences.

But, in the Colorado sun and high altitude, one is obligated to get a periodic skin cancer and actinic keratosis check, and I went to a new one who I liked and felt was doing a good job.

So, after the ritual skin check (no CA this time - Yea!) and spraying around with his toy liquid nitrogen spray gun, he advised me that I should undergo Photodynamic Therapy (17 minutes wuth a "blue light") combined with the face cream Levulan.

One of the requisites is to stay completely out of the sun for a couple of weeks after the treatment(s) - I need one for my face and one for my scalp, followed up at a later date with a repeat.

Arrgghhh! It is mostly impossible to stay out of the sun in CO, except by staying inside. In addition there (according to the info sheet he gave me) is some crusting and severe paiin at the start.

I have absolutely NO doubt that the treatment is needed, as I have spent about 72 years in the sun, living in CA and CO.

My question - anyone else have this treatment? Any comments or thoughts?

It occurs to me that if I put this off a bit, I could ride in the mornings with my headlamps, before the sun is "up." Right now, the sun is up so early, I would have a hard time beating it.

I appreciate any input, stories, experiences, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-24-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-25-12, 06:53 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
My wife had it and was only required to stay out of the sun for 72 hours. She has me scheduled for the same. Six years ago I had Effudex (topical chemo) treatment and my face looked like spoiled raw hamburger meat.
Old 10-02-12, 06:04 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
My wife had it and was only required to stay out of the sun for 72 hours. She has me scheduled for the same. Six years ago I had Effudex (topical chemo) treatment and my face looked like spoiled raw hamburger meat.
Photodynamic treatment scheduled for Oct 22nd. No sunlight for 72 hours, no swimming for a week, However, I can/will do aquaerobics and, if weather permits, early morning bike rides with my lights, and/or spin class.