Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new way (for me) to stop my pedaling - You??

Early morning ride trying to beat the smoke from our (now 10) Colorado wild fires.

All of a sudden, I could no longer turn the pedals. Generally, I sort of work my way through something like this by back pedaling, etc., but absolutely no luck this time.

So, I stopped (actually I had no choice but to stop) and looked carefully. This bike has panniers with some supporting straps, etc. Well, one of the straps had come loose, and had totally wound itself around the rear cogset. I got the bike upside down, and in just a couple of minutes was on my way again.

So, what has caused you to stop pedaling?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-24-12 at 09:10 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here we thought you avoided anything mechanical.
    Way to go!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    And here we thought you avoided anything mechanical.
    Way to go!
    Do I get a Union Card or a Master's Certificate?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a very old bike, a Flandria, my whole rear axle seized, that stopped me quick.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poorly adjusted rear derailler allowed the chain to shift over the largest sprocket into the spokes - locked up the rear wheel but manged to bring it to a stop without taking a spill. Didn't know it then but the chain gouged the spokes which later caused one to break.

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Based on the subject line...what are you selling?
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnTP View Post
    Poorly adjusted rear derailler allowed the chain to shift over the largest sprocket into the spokes - locked up the rear wheel but manged to bring it to a stop without taking a spill. Didn't know it then but the chain gouged the spokes which later caused one to break.
    I had exactly the same thing happen, with exactly the same results. That was a long time ago, when I was in college, riding my Peugeot PX-10. Thankfully hasn't happened since, but then I'm very conservative with the low gear limit screw since those days (and esp. since I don't use spoke protectors).

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Failure to adequately tighten rear quick release. Taking off from a stop the rear wheel slipped against the chainstay and locked up. Since I was clipped in I made an embarassing spectacle in the middle of the street, skinned knee and sprained wrist at mile 35 of 70 mile ride. Lesson learned not forgotten yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    1. Earlier in the year, I ran over an Arkansas tumbleweed, and it got all in the works and seized up the rear wheel.

2. I bonked on Memorial Day. Could not turn the crank at all. Tried walking, and that didn't work, either.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chain suck. Did a long ride on the Tandem and it was muddy. I mean muddy. Wasn't long after we got into Granny that chain suck came in. Locked up the pedals completely. Had changed the middle and big rings in the last year but did not think granny needed changing. Did a lot of the ride in low cadence struggling up the hills in middle ring after that.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was the time last summer when I stopped alongside the road at a friend's beach to chat with them. Out came the earbuds that come up from my back waistband. Forgot all about them and took off for town in a blitz to beat the approaching dusk.

The buds cord wrapped up in the spokes and yanked the buds out of my helmet straps and freaked me out. For a split second there was simply no answer to this world tragedy but to halt all forward motion.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The wall" on Brasstown Bald.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dropped my chain on yesterday's recovery ride. It didn't stop me from pedaling, just from making any forward motion while doing it.

The odd thing is it's the first time that's ever happened to me.
    Craig in Indy

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrying a tool box on the handle bars of my 60's sting ray knockoff and dropping it into the front spokes. Instant trip over the bars and onto the gravel in asphalt roads and entered the world of hurt.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper
    My Bikes
    Montague - Paratrooper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of a 30 foot dog leash into the rear wheel. Dog was fine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1990 on a loaded touring bike doing a small climb into a town called "Cave-in-Rock" the rear derailleur went into the spokes and I fell over. I was covered with coal dust from coal trucks passing by and must have looked pretty funny. Got it straightened out and still have it on another frame.

Have also had the chainsuck from mud on the mtb and even on the road from worn drivetrain. That gets your attention, you downshift, start to spin it up, and it just stops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoelaces are my go-to guys when I want to stop pedaling. They'll wrap around a pedal and suck your foot into it with no trouble at all.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just this weekend. I misshifted from the large chainring meaning to go to the #2, hit the #1, quickly shifted back to 2 and the pedals stopped. Two links were really stuck on #1. Had to really pull to get them off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I did not ride yesterday. We have the FL wet season (also known as "summer") of wild fires. We get our wild fires in the dry season (also known for some reason as "winter"). Tropical storm Debbie has been dropping inches of rain on us here for the last 30 hours. It isn't so bad but unless I want to clean the drive train after the ride, it is not ride.

My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a city street ride a couple of years ago I had the front mounting bolt on the rear fender come loose, allowing the fender to rotate forward and under the rear wheel. When the fender struts met the seat tubes, the rotation of the fender, and the wheel (!), stopped and I went skidding and down. Embarrassing, but no real damage except the fender was toast.

Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In had a sweatshirt wrapped around my handlebars and when it got sucked into the wheel I had a unique view of the world as I was stuck in a stoppie, fortunately I was able to climb off the bike while the back wheel was still pointed straight up.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to take the chain off the chain hangar after fixing a flat at Easter Hill Country tour.

When I stood on the pedals to take off I bent the chain hangar on my 92 Paramount, which makes me infinitely sad as that is about the only divot on the entire frame.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While riding my road bike this winter, I ran over some twigs and other debris in the road. A piece of "something" jammed between my wheel and fender causing the rear wheel to lock up. Because there is not enough room for conventional fender hardware on that bike, the fenders are held in place with zip ties. When I was checking the bike for damage, I realized that the trailing edge of the fender just folded up accordion fashion against the rear wheel. I pulled the fender out and replace the broken zip ties with some spares my wife had in her seat bag. What I did not notice until I got home was the damage to the tire. We had hit speeds of 30+ mph on a downhill section about 2 miles after the "fender bender". It was my lucky day

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold my beer and watch this!

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new way isn't mechanical, it's bio-mechanical. I popped my left Achilles last week.

Durn-burn it!!! After a wonderfully snow-free winter, and me in the best shape I've been in a few years, and now... life in the super slow lane. Crutches and a splint-boot for the three weeks up to the operation, then elevate for 2-3 weeks. And THEN ssssssllllllllooooowwwwwly build up again and hope it holds.

I've had the debris-in-freewheel derangement, and the large-twig-stuck-in-fender, and the oops-I-forgot-to-tighten-the-back-QR-enough, but I have to say that I would reserve this new way to stop pedaling maybe for my worst enemy, if I ever have one of 'em besides myself.

Sorry to veer slightly off topic, Denvr!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast