Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What American car or wagon can swallow a bicycle? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/827842-what-american-car-wagon-can-swallow-bicycle.html)

godeacs 07-02-12 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by apesrunner58 (Post 14428142)
my hyundai elantra can with the back seats down

With front wheel off, I take it.

Sixty Fiver 07-02-12 11:03 PM

Have found that most small sedans are excellent for carrying a bicycle in the back with the front wheel off... just open the door, walk the bike in and it's loaded. One may want to put a cover on the rear seat to prevent any dirt or oil from messing up the seat material.

Seems like most of these options will limit passenger seating to 2 people and for travelling a folder can be just the thing to offer some two wheeled mobility that will not take up a ton of space and when it is in the trunk it is quite secure.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...7&d=1341120024

Car is a 1993 Nissan Sentra... folder is a used generic model that I picked up so I would always have a bike with me.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...4&d=1341287165

My old Dodge Caravan would carry a great number of whole bicycles inside if the middle and back seats were removed and my friend owns a Sprinter van which will seat 5 and still carry a tandem in the rear as well as a good number of other bicycles (including another tandem). The Sprinter does get used as a ride support vehicle and also has a hitch mounted rack that will carry 4 more bicycles.

My Sentra has a rear rack and roof rails so it can carry as many bicycles as people if needed.

Racer Ex 07-02-12 11:28 PM

I can stuff two bikes and all the stuff I need to go to a 3 day stage race in a Prius.

AzTallRider 07-03-12 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Racer Ex (Post 14434342)
I can stuff two bikes and all the stuff I need to go to a 3 day stage race in a Prius.

If I did that with my wife's Prius, well... let's not go there.

Due to its size, to fit my bike in the Camry, I have to pull the seat-post, which is a pita. Plus I like to take my dog with me, and the back seat is his domain. So I've gone with a Saris Bones trunk rack I picked up used from someone here on the forum. Works great, but the bike is exposed to wind, weather and thieves. Still trying to get the concept of the Transit Connect to fly. Somehow telling her I would paint a big cycling mural on the side didn't help.

CommuteCommando 07-03-12 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14434299)
Have found that most small sedans are excellent for carrying a bicycle in the back with the front wheel off... just open the door, walk the bike in and it's loaded. One may want to put a cover on the rear seat to prevent any dirt or oil from messing up the seat material.

Seems like most of these options will limit passenger seating to 2 people and for travelling a folder can be just the thing to offer some two wheeled mobility that will not take up a ton of space and when it is in the trunk it is quite secure.

Car is a 1993 Nissan Sentra... folder is a used generic model that I picked up so I would always have a bike with me.

My old Dodge Caravan would carry a great number of whole bicycles inside if the middle and back seats were removed and my friend owns a Sprinter van which will seat 5 and still carry a tandem in the rear as well as a good number of other bicycles (including another tandem). The Sprinter does get used as a ride support vehicle and also has a hitch mounted rack that will carry 4 more bicycles.

My Sentra has a rear rack and roof rails so it can carry as many bicycles as people if needed.

I could fit a six pack of foldies in my Vibe.

John_V 07-03-12 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by AzTallRider (Post 14434924)
Still trying to get the concept of the Transit Connect to fly. Somehow telling her I would paint a big cycling mural on the side didn't help.

I'm sure it must have something to do with getting into car payments. Have you been showing her the photos that I've posted? Maybe after I get the final results photos posted she will change her mind. I'm pulling for you on getting the Transit. I was lucky in that my wife is as much for the Transit as I am, even though it isn't a sleek and luxurious car.

AzTallRider 07-03-12 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by John_V (Post 14436634)
I'm sure it must have something to do with getting into car payments. Have you been showing her the photos that I've posted? Maybe after I get the final results photos posted she will change her mind. I'm pulling for you on getting the Transit. I was lucky in that my wife is as much for the Transit as I am, even though it isn't a sleek and luxurious car.

I love what you are doing with the Transit, and I hear there will be an electric version in the future... that will be a selling point.

John_V 07-04-12 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by AzTallRider (Post 14436884)
I love what you are doing with the Transit, and I hear there will be an electric version in the future... that will be a selling point.

Sounds like you wife is wanting to get away from gasoline vehicles. My wife was on that track for a while but conceded when she realized they are also impractical for many situations.

The electric version would be nice for local driving, but it doesn't fit the bill for the amount of traveling the wife and I have planned. I think the all electric cars that are out now only have a range of 40-50 miles before they need recharging. I also wonder how well they would work in mountainous regions or areas with extremely steep hills. I'm guessing that it would shorten the time between recharging if the motor had to work harder. It would be interesting to see how they do when they become available.

Yen 07-04-12 07:47 AM

We commented to our bike group that we'd like to get a car that fits both our bikes inside. One couple, who ride a tandem Bike Friday, responded in almost perfect unison: "No, you need to get a bike that fits inside your car!"

We're planning to see if our bikes will fit inside our Honda Accord with both back seats down and foam padding between the bikes; I'll report on our findings. Honestly, I get a little nervous on road trips when we're in heavy traffic with the bikes on a rack on the back; the way many people tailgate just inches from the car in front of them, I'm afraid our bikes will be damaged if traffic comes to a sudden stop.

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 14434299)

Sixty Fiver 07-04-12 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 14438833)
We commented to our bike group that we'd like to get a car that fits both our bikes inside. One couple, who ride a tandem Bike Friday, responded in almost perfect unison: "No, you need to get a bike that fits inside your car!"

We're planning to see if our bikes will fit inside our Honda Accord with both back seats down and foam padding between the bikes; I'll report on our findings. Honestly, I get a little nervous on road trips when we're in heavy traffic with the bikes on a rack on the back; the way many people tailgate just inches from the car in front of them, I'm afraid our bikes will be damaged if traffic comes to a sudden stop.

I also have two roof rails on my car... They are great for carrying bikes and one just has to remember that they are up there. :)

Bob S 07-10-12 05:59 PM

Not american but my wife's 2004 Prius swallows my bike with room to spare.

type36 07-10-12 06:32 PM

My bike fits very nicely inside my 2012 Chevy Cruze, with rear seats folded down.