Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-02-12, 10:40 PM   #76
godeacs

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C
Quote:
Originally Posted by apesrunner58 View Post
my hyundai elantra can with the back seats down
With front wheel off, I take it.
godeacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 11:03 PM   #77
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...
Have found that most small sedans are excellent for carrying a bicycle in the back with the front wheel off... just open the door, walk the bike in and it's loaded. One may want to put a cover on the rear seat to prevent any dirt or oil from messing up the seat material.

Seems like most of these options will limit passenger seating to 2 people and for travelling a folder can be just the thing to offer some two wheeled mobility that will not take up a ton of space and when it is in the trunk it is quite secure.

Car is a 1993 Nissan Sentra... folder is a used generic model that I picked up so I would always have a bike with me.

My old Dodge Caravan would carry a great number of whole bicycles inside if the middle and back seats were removed and my friend owns a Sprinter van which will seat 5 and still carry a tandem in the rear as well as a good number of other bicycles (including another tandem). The Sprinter does get used as a ride support vehicle and also has a hitch mounted rack that will carry 4 more bicycles.

My Sentra has a rear rack and roof rails so it can carry as many bicycles as people if needed.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 11:28 PM   #78
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Bikes:
I can stuff two bikes and all the stuff I need to go to a 3 day stage race in a Prius.
Racer Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 07:24 AM   #79
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Ex View Post
I can stuff two bikes and all the stuff I need to go to a 3 day stage race in a Prius.
If I did that with my wife's Prius, well... let's not go there.

Due to its size, to fit my bike in the Camry, I have to pull the seat-post, which is a pita. Plus I like to take my dog with me, and the back seat is his domain. So I've gone with a Saris Bones trunk rack I picked up used from someone here on the forum. Works great, but the bike is exposed to wind, weather and thieves. Still trying to get the concept of the Transit Connect to fly. Somehow telling her I would paint a big cycling mural on the side didn't help.
Old 07-03-12, 12:11 PM   #80
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Have found that most small sedans are excellent for carrying a bicycle in the back with the front wheel off... just open the door, walk the bike in and it's loaded. One may want to put a cover on the rear seat to prevent any dirt or oil from messing up the seat material.

Seems like most of these options will limit passenger seating to 2 people and for travelling a folder can be just the thing to offer some two wheeled mobility that will not take up a ton of space and when it is in the trunk it is quite secure.

Car is a 1993 Nissan Sentra... folder is a used generic model that I picked up so I would always have a bike with me.

My old Dodge Caravan would carry a great number of whole bicycles inside if the middle and back seats were removed and my friend owns a Sprinter van which will seat 5 and still carry a tandem in the rear as well as a good number of other bicycles (including another tandem). The Sprinter does get used as a ride support vehicle and also has a hitch mounted rack that will carry 4 more bicycles.

My Sentra has a rear rack and roof rails so it can carry as many bicycles as people if needed.
I could fit a six pack of foldies in my Vibe.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 02:20 PM   #81
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
Still trying to get the concept of the Transit Connect to fly. Somehow telling her I would paint a big cycling mural on the side didn't help.
I'm sure it must have something to do with getting into car payments. Have you been showing her the photos that I've posted? Maybe after I get the final results photos posted she will change her mind. I'm pulling for you on getting the Transit. I was lucky in that my wife is as much for the Transit as I am, even though it isn't a sleek and luxurious car.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-12, 03:25 PM   #82
AzTallRider 
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I'm sure it must have something to do with getting into car payments. Have you been showing her the photos that I've posted? Maybe after I get the final results photos posted she will change her mind. I'm pulling for you on getting the Transit. I was lucky in that my wife is as much for the Transit as I am, even though it isn't a sleek and luxurious car.
I love what you are doing with the Transit, and I hear there will be an electric version in the future... that will be a selling point.
Old 07-04-12, 06:36 AM   #83
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
I love what you are doing with the Transit, and I hear there will be an electric version in the future... that will be a selling point.
Sounds like you wife is wanting to get away from gasoline vehicles. My wife was on that track for a while but conceded when she realized they are also impractical for many situations.

The electric version would be nice for local driving, but it doesn't fit the bill for the amount of traveling the wife and I have planned. I think the all electric cars that are out now only have a range of 40-50 miles before they need recharging. I also wonder how well they would work in mountainous regions or areas with extremely steep hills. I'm guessing that it would shorten the time between recharging if the motor had to work harder. It would be interesting to see how they do when they become available.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 07:47 AM   #84
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
We commented to our bike group that we'd like to get a car that fits both our bikes inside. One couple, who ride a tandem Bike Friday, responded in almost perfect unison: "No, you need to get a bike that fits inside your car!"

We're planning to see if our bikes will fit inside our Honda Accord with both back seats down and foam padding between the bikes; I'll report on our findings. Honestly, I get a little nervous on road trips when we're in heavy traffic with the bikes on a rack on the back; the way many people tailgate just inches from the car in front of them, I'm afraid our bikes will be damaged if traffic comes to a sudden stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post

Old 07-04-12, 08:16 AM   #85
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
We commented to our bike group that we'd like to get a car that fits both our bikes inside. One couple, who ride a tandem Bike Friday, responded in almost perfect unison: "No, you need to get a bike that fits inside your car!"

We're planning to see if our bikes will fit inside our Honda Accord with both back seats down and foam padding between the bikes; I'll report on our findings. Honestly, I get a little nervous on road trips when we're in heavy traffic with the bikes on a rack on the back; the way many people tailgate just inches from the car in front of them, I'm afraid our bikes will be damaged if traffic comes to a sudden stop.
I also have two roof rails on my car... They are great for carrying bikes and one just has to remember that they are up there.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 05:59 PM   #86
Bob S

Bikes: DeSalvo Custom Ti
Not american but my wife's 2004 Prius swallows my bike with room to spare.
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 06:32 PM   #87
type36
dropped at birth

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix, Gilardi Super Record, Torelli Countach
My bike fits very nicely inside my 2012 Chevy Cruze, with rear seats folded down.
type36 is offline   Reply With Quote