Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I really this old and slow?

Riding eastbound on the San Diego river trail from Ocean Beach toward Mission Valley. The trail is paved, two lanes wide, and less than a 1% upslope the direction I was headed. I was on my Specialized Roubaix pedalling along at a nice easy 19 - 20 mph with the help of a 10 mph tailwind. I have a good speedo and excellent GPS and am pretty sure my reported speed was correct.

Just east of Inghram Ave I was passed by a 30 something guy on a old derelict looking mountain bike. He was several inches shorter than me, 20 pounds heavier, wearing old tennis shoes on platform pedals. He was barely turning over the pedals and just blew by me! I could see that he was in a lower gear than I (I was in about a 42/13) but making no apparent effort to pedal hard.

In the next 1.5 miles he put over 1/4 mile distance between himself and me.

I've been riding all my life and usually do more than 150 miles a week so I am in pretty good shape. I don't have any trouble keeping up with other riders that are even 20 years younger when we do group rides but this guy just smoked me WITHOUT TURNING THE PEDALS!

How the heck does that kind of thing happen?

My Bikes
    Scott CR1 Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me once. I was crushed . . . until I noticed it was one of those bikes with a small motor on it. If you were going 20 mph, that's my guess what that was.
    Scott CR1 Team

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to post "electric assist" myself!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
    It was probably just the Deege. Every since he's taken up with Mrs. Jones he avoids Roubaix's.

My Bikes
    Of course.
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is easy to get into a higher gear and go like stink for a couple of miles--Get him to do it for 5.

One of the things I have learnt on the charity rides is that when you get to hills- you compose yourself so that when you pass others that appear to be struggling more than you- you put on a brave face and make a comment that makes you sound not as shattered and worn out as you are. When they see how old you are and how you are doing the hill with ease- you drop them like a stone.

Did a ride once with a mountain biker- for about 5 miles- on a wallymart full suspension- knobbly tyres and set up wrong. I was on the MTB with slicks and setup for the road. He kept on about how his top of the range full suspension bike was the only way to go. Next hill and I had enough and said Bye and sailed up the hill at my max heart rate. Stopped at the top and took a break at the rest station and I was still shattered when he got to the top. I put on a brave face- forced my breathing to normal and apoligised to him as I had just had a bypass and wanted to see if I could push myself up a hill. Never saw him again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    during the 1.5 miles I trailed the guy - I was hoping I would see some small electric motor or wheels IF I caught up

He pulled off the trail at Morena Ave as I rode by - NO MOTOR - NO ELECTRIC WHEELS - just a crappy old bike

Deflated my Spandex ego!!
    Last edited by TacomaSailor; 06-25-12 at 06:34 PM.

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar experience 3 months ago:

A guy passed me with a parka and jeans on (late winter), riding a hybrid bike sitting very straight with a relaxed and fluid pedaling, I was going 20 mph and he must have gone a couple of miles faster--I was taken back and thought I was really old and in poor shape.

Ultimately 2 or 3 red lights later I caught up to him and realized he had a small electric motor in the front hub with a relatively small flat battery pack on the rear bike rack!

He explained to me that he commutes that way and get roughly 20 miles on one charge!

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    slow as complained to what or who? We are all slow compared to someone faster than us, and there is always someone faster. Just be glad you can ride and enjoy yourself, and worry less about the speed.
    I like to go fast and will always try to go faster than I can but ...
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he was in a lower gear and pedaling slower, he'd have to be moving slower. Sounds like motor assist.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
    Riding eastbound on the San Diego river trail from Ocean Beach toward Mission Valley. The trail is paved, two lanes wide, and less than a 1% upslope the direction I was headed. I was on my Specialized Roubaix pedalling along at a nice easy 19 - 20 mph with the help of a 10 mph tailwind. I have a good speedo and excellent GPS and am pretty sure my reported speed was correct.

Just east of Inghram Ave I was passed by a 30 something guy on a old derelict looking mountain bike. He was several inches shorter than me, 20 pounds heavier, wearing old tennis shoes on platform pedals. He was barely turning over the pedals and just blew by me! I could see that he was in a lower gear than I (I was in about a 42/13) but making no apparent effort to pedal hard.

In the next 1.5 miles he put over 1/4 mile distance between himself and me.

I've been riding all my life and usually do more than 150 miles a week so I am in pretty good shape. I don't have any trouble keeping up with other riders that are even 20 years younger when we do group rides but this guy just smoked me WITHOUT TURNING THE PEDALS!

A 10mph westerly wind, in San Diego? Hmm. That would be highly unusual, especially if it were morning, when most people ride. Wind picks up in the PM, but prevailing direction is NW. I digress. You were just "Fredded".
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 PM the wind was from 296 magnetic (I'm a sailor) so let's split the difference and call it WWNW

I never ride before 3 PM - 'gotta wait for the tired old muscles to warm up and I have to work on boat projects till noon.

And just a note - the prevailing wind is NW unless I am at Catalina or Oceanside in my sailboat and want to sail to Pt Loma - then the wind is SE to SW.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago there was a local ride/run here in Smallville. The ride was 10 miles-5 out and back. I was probably riding 13-15 mph. At about mile three or four I was met by the local high school all state linebacker--coming back----riding a NEXT mountain bike. I figured he had probably averaged 25+ mph on a 40 pund mountain bike, with knobbies. He was pedaling like mad.

Never underestimate youth.

My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days ago set out on the local MUP and met a nice gentleman riding a Titanium Seven road bike he had built up about 8 years ago. He used to ride in a local club but time and the grandkids held him back as he was now 70 looked in fair shape short but had thick calfs. I'm just short of 64 and other than a crappy back I'm in fairly good riding shape and we went along at an average speed of about 14 for about 15 miles (I usually average between 16-18) which includes a coffee break for him.
    Well on the way back there is some elevation and he takes off for about a 4 mile stretch at 17 where I usually average 14-15. To say I was gassed at the end is a fair statement and he just said nice ride! Don't let looks deceive you.

2011 Cannondale Synapse 3+
    2003 Specialized Stump jumper
    2002 Cannondale H300

My Bikes
    Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you are an elite athlete at the very end of the tail of the distribution, there is enough variation out there so that there will always be someone for whom there is no apparent reason at all for them be able to go faster than you that will dust you nonetheless.
    The more you drive the less intelligent you are. - Tracy Walter as Miller in Repo Man.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone that is familiar with street drag racing can tell you that you never, ever go by the outer appearance of the car you are racing or considering racing. You are just asking to be blown into the weeds and loose some money or your Pink Slip in a hurry. Same with bicyclist.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have this theory that, as a reasonably good athlete in HS, I would eventually rise to an even higher comparative level as I aged --as long as I stayed fit. This was my "attrition" theory. In fact, the opposite has happened. Attrition seems to have knocked off the lower levels and left me at a lower level of survivors who are more fit and clearly better than me. Oops.

Regarding getting passed on a ride, I sometimes get some false respect because I ride a single speed (more theory?). The only hills around here are pretty gentle. I frequently pass people who have geared down to spin up the hill. I'm stuck at 70 gear-inches and have to power up them. As long as I spin my brains out on the straights for a while The riders I pass think I'm better than I really am.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Anyone that is familiar with street drag racing can tell you that you never, ever go by the outer appearance of the car you are racing or considering racing. You are just asking to be blown into the weeds and loose some money or your Pink Slip in a hurry. Same with bicyclist.
    Yup. Once, at the start of a group ride, I noticed a fellow who had a pretty nice bike but (there's no nice way to say this) he was fat. Then I found out that he was a hair dresser. I thought to myself, "he'll be off the back real soon." You know the rest:

Somebody said "Go." He took off with the fast guys, and all I saw was a big fat butt slowly receding into the horizon.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He lives in SoCal and is a little chunky in this pic.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beware of mountain bikers on the open road/streets with their MTB's.

I was coming back home returning from a 40mi ride on a hot day. Just came up a steep hill and gearing up for the recovery descent. I was pooped. Out of nowhere comes a younger guy zipping by me, sandals, backpack and no shirt. I started laughing as he buzzed me.....no, just flat out dropped me.

As we came down the hill there would be no recovery for me. I clicked top gear (the '89 Technium PRE) and didnt let him get more than 200yds ahead. We came up on the last hill with only 2 miles remaining until the city limits. I was dying but somehow refused to go small ring on that hill. Watching his cadence it seemed he never downshifted. Crap. But then came the last descent and the final 1mi flat into town. Cresting the hill I said "pain be damned!!" and attacked the descent with a huge grin. After cranking up 35mph I gained on him. When we came out on the flats, it was the upright position that was his shortcoming. He was leaning into the wind and I was tightly tucked on my lightweight PRE-racer. Coming up alongside of him I said, "nice riding". He about jumped out of his skin. He went on to tell me how surprised he was that I managed to stick with him because he was accelerating and trying hard to bury me in the distance.....but he couldnt.

He was 40yrs old, riding a Specialized hardtail with shocks. And yes, he regularly climbed the area hills on the trails. That's what made it so difficult. But that was the day he was totally confirmed in wanting a roadbike.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage