Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Mirror Imaging

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mirror Imaging

I went to the physical therapist (rode my bike, as I usually do) in regards to my left hip pain from aggravated bursitis.

I showed them how I mounted the bike - always with the right foot over the seat, which twists my left hip just a bit, increasing the aggravation on the left hip.

They shouted - "Don't do that" - because, on a typical day, I mount and dismount 8 to 10 times, given the chores I do etc. Also aggravated by always using my left foot to start and clip in first, etc.

So, now I am learning the mirror image of what I do. It is strange and awkward, but I have no doubt that I will master it WITHOUT A TOMBAY OR OTHER FALL!!

I don't know if this might apply to someone else, but I thought you might be interested.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why, but I generally unclip my right foot when I come to a stop on my single, but I unclip my left foot on the tandem. (Because of road crowning, it would make sense to always unclip the left foot.) I also mount from whichever side I happen to be on. Maybe it was all those years of basketball and Tae Kwon Do where there are real advantages to being able to use both sides proficiently, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace notwithstanding.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will soon be the Master of the Mirror Mount Maneuver! It's probably a good idea to switch things up on occasion for everyone. I notice I have a tendency to coast with my weight on the left pedal, so I've been trying to switch that up as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also try swinging your leg frontward over the top bar rather than backwards over the seat.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture0054.jpg
    Time for a step-thru frame??