Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    FELT fixie, Metaphysic high vracer,P-38 SWB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which brand of Oldfartz bike - opinions please

I am returning to the dark side of diamond frame riding (I have been riding one of those other funny bikes.)

It seems that for my age of 6 tee mumble mumble (nearer 70) I should choose a bike with a longer stem tube and shorter top tube. My absolute maximum budget is $AUD2400.

For that I can get:
    Trek Madone 4.5 H2 fit - Reputed to have crap wheels and the worst saddle in the world
    Colnago Ace - Crap wheels. ...but it's a Col nago!
    Giant Defy Advanced 3 - I don't know anything about their wheels. I may get a better deal on the Giant.

I can upgrade wheels in 12 months.

Our local roads are chipseal from Hell.

All input would be appreciated. At the moment the short list is Giant and Colnago.

My Bikes
    A lot of old bikes and a few new ones
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not get a cross bike esp. if you are worried about bad roads? There is a lot to be said for running 28c or 32c tires on a road bike. I use one set up with a triple and it is a lot of fun. The bike will not only be more comfortable but the wheels will hold up better because you are running a bit fatter tires.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
    Why not get a cross bike esp. if you are worried about bad roads? There is a lot to be said for running 28c or 32c tires on a road bike.....snip.....
    I hadn't considered that and I'm not familiar with 'Cross' designs. My fear would be that a cross bike would be slower. Now at my age I'm not going to be truly fast but I like to get every watt I can. The recumbent high racer has enabled me to 'cheat' and the bike (Metaphysic) is one of the few recumbents that climbs well. The bike flows along at 30-35 kph on the flat. I'm not going to get that from a diamond frame, but I have to keep up with my wife who rides a rather nice Orbea Onix SLT. She wants me to ride 'with her' in Masters events and my recumbent is BANNED!!!

BTW I agree about wider tyres. Pros are starting to use 25mm because they cope better with what are laughably called roads.

I'm running Hutchinson Fusion tubeless on my 'bent and although they're not as quick feeling as Vit Corsa Exo, they don't seem to give much away when run at 90 psi and so far glass penetrations have sealed.

I'll go and look up Cross Bikes now - choosing is almost as much fun as riding!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velopaul View Post
    I am returning to the dark side of diamond frame riding (I have been riding one of those other funny bikes.)

It seems that for my age of 6 tee mumble mumble (nearer 70) I should choose a bike with a longer stem tube and shorter top tube. My absolute maximum budget is $AUD2400.

For that I can get:
    Trek Madone 4.5 H2 fit - Reputed to have crap wheels and the worst saddle in the world
    Colnago Ace - Crap wheels. ...but it's a Col nago!
    Giant Defy Advanced 3 - I don't know anything about their wheels. I may get a better deal on the Giant.

I can upgrade wheels in 12 months.

Our local roads are chipseal from Hell.

All input would be appreciated. At the moment the short list is Giant and Colnago.
    I would give serious consideration to the ACE, wheels can be replaced.

Also, you may consider the Bianchi Infinito--it is the comfy bike in my stable!

Good luck.
    My current stable:

1989 SLX Bottecchia (Campy Athena 11s)
    1999 Cannondale F400 mountain bike
    2012 Bianchi Infinito (Campy Record 11s)
    2012 Colnago C59 in PR99 color scheme (Campy Record 11s)

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be obsessed about your age. Lots of us have many years on you. Get the bike you want, period, without worrying about the age thing.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here comes some opinion... I have recently converted most of my road stable to larger tires 700x28,or 32) and am loving it. Depends on your riding --I don't race, but I'm continually disappointed to see the "road bike" category be mostly racers with 700x23 tires and barely able to fit 25's. I used to swear by 25's and would occasionally use 23's but last summer's trip on a superlight CF w/ 23's had some terrible experiences (hours and hours of banging over harsh expansion joints on my high pressure 23's, and some occasional gravel). Most of my road bikes are stuck on 25's as a their max. I've now built up some road bikes that are more suited to light touring and can take larger tires. Noticeable increase in comfort running 28's or 32's at 80 to 90 PSI, and I can now ride gravel and fire roads and hard pack MUTs.
    Just saying.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The giant will have wheels on a par with the others so discount the wheels on all 3 -especially as you can upgrade them later. Always been a Giant Fan but my last bike was a Pinarrelo FP Uno. Bit heavier than I am used to- downgrade on groupset on what I am used to and for what I would normally pay- was a tad more expensive. BUT it is worth it. Rides a dream and no upgrades necessary except wheels that I already have.

Colnago-BMC-Pinarrello- Felt- etc---Those bikes away from the normal shop stock- they are worth it in the ride quality so I would say get the Colnago. Think the ACE was the other one I was looking at when N+1 came up earlier this year. And on the OM wheels--Get the shop to detension and retrue the wheels before delivery. OM Machine built wheels are not my favourite but after a good wheel man has tweaked them- they are not too bad for a winter/ foul weather wheel.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think you get better value with the Giant. Colnagos carry a premium because they are über-cool. But in the end, the bike to buy is the one that feels best when you ride it.
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A short list that includes a Colnago? If it were me, and I picked the Trek or the Giant, regardless of how nice they might be, I'd spend every minute of every ride for the rest of my life thinking, "I could have gotten a Colnago." It might even be worth having to cut the grocery budget back to a few months on cat food to do it.
    Craig in Indy

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    A short list that includes a Colnago? If it were me, and I picked the Trek or the Giant, regardless of how nice they might be, I'd spend every minute of every ride for the rest of my life thinking, "I could have gotten a Colnago." It might even be worth having to cut the grocery budget back to a few months on cat food to do it.
    You're a gift to the marketing men. What if the Giant ride was more to your taste?
    There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote Colnago if you like the feel and can avoid cat food. BUT roads with lots of debris, ruts, wallows, bumps, etc, ride 28s on front and 32 on the rear (if they will fit!), at ~90psi or whatever works with your weight. Ya gotta use sensibly wide tires when it comes to bad road surfaces.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chasm54 View Post
    You're a gift to the marketing men. What if the Giant ride was more to your taste?
    I should have added "all other things being equal when comparing the bikes." I'd like to think I'd be rational enough to choose the one with the ride that suited me best. And maybe I would be.

Maybe.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Trek 7300 Giant Sedona E-Bike Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 95% oil and chip roads. I have a 4.5 Madone and a Surly Cross Check. With the oil bleeding thru now the Madone is parked. Yes, the Madone is faster and a better hill climber but if I had to get rid of all my bikes except one, it'd be the Cross Check I'd keep.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the moniker and the dog looks OK too! Obviously I'm going to agree with you because you're voting for my top pick! I'll have to ride the list and see if any overcome my bias towards the Italian Job.

Our chip seal is otherwise named spray and wipe and consist of 3/4 inch bluestone chips dropped on to an acrylic or oil emulsion. over an existing worn gravel sealed surface. It's 'rolled' by the traffic which means not at all. There are no potholes and we avoid the roads where the chips have peeled off leaving a scabby surface.

I think the Europeans call it a 'heavy' road. Not all of it is like that and twelve months of traffic moderates it merely rough.

I've tried various tyres and the Schwalbe Ultremo 28 and Hutchinson Fusion Tubeless take a lot of sting out of the vibration. Considering it's minimum recommended pressure the Vittoria Corsa Evo is surprisingly smooth.

The best reply to a query like this on older Posts was to do many hours of research and riding bikes, then when you're completely confused, pick the one that looks pretty and is the right colour.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the bike you want NOW!
    Watcha gonna do . . . wait'til you get older?!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    Get the bike you want NOW!
    Watcha gonna do . . . wait'til you get older?!
    That's Plan A. Plan B is Plan A! Unfortunately there is a budget. Earlier this year my wife, with my encouragement, bought the bike she'd lusted after for years - a $6000 Orbea. I could never make her as happy as when she picked up the bike!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is really all we can be sure of.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is down to test rides and within my budget I did look at a lot of bikes last October. MY LBS is a Giant dealer but when I came to order the bike in February- Not one Giant was available in my choice or my price range. The testing I had previously done had two bikes shine above the others. The FP UNO-that I did get- and a Colnago. This had been my first Test ride on either of these makes and I was looking at the lower end of their range. I was worried about getting either of these bikes because of the "Poseur" status they held in my mind and although the groupset was lower than I would normally go for and were still a bit pricier than others I was looking at on ride quality it won out.

So test rides are the only way to check a bike out but when it came to the choice for me- I will pose with my Pinarello any day.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek 7100

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish that John_V would see this but he is traveling. He just picked up a Colnago that he loves. he evaluated several bikes before deciding. Like stapfam said and others here have voiced over the years, buy the bike you want and the one that fits you best. If your LBS is good for whatever brand you choose you will be fine. Sort the tyres out to your roads and enjoy the ride.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to be riding with the wife, get a bike much like her bike. If she like her bike on chip seal, you will likely be satisfied with a similar ride.

One can find bikes that are ideally suited for some specific purpose. Consequently, many cycling fanatics own multiple bikes to serve many uses. My own preference runs in parallel with dgb in that I like versatility. My bike will take up to 28mm tires, (wish it would take 32's), and works well on paved surfaces and gravel/dirt roads or trails. At our local State Park, I'll sometimes head through the woods for short distances.

Following winter, road edges here in Rhode Island have an accumulation of debris and sand that sometimes can't be avoided. The fatter tires will better deal with this situation. Of course, you can still use skinny tires. I have two sets of wheels and tires for when I know that road conditions will favor one tire over another.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyFranky View Post
    I vote Colnago if you like the feel and can avoid cat food. BUT roads with lots of debris, ruts, wallows, bumps, etc, ride 28s on front and 32 on the rear (if they will fit!), at ~90psi or whatever works with your weight. Ya gotta use sensibly wide tires when it comes to bad road surfaces.
    So that's the problem. Pretty much none of those road racers will fit anything larger than a 25. Any bike that comes standard with a 23 will almost certainly max out at a 25.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Getting older and slower!
    My Bikes
    Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Trek Madone 6.9, Trek XO1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Trek fan, so you know what my choice would be.

That said, my main ride is a Madone 6.9, but my alternate bike is a Trek cychocross with 32mm tires. Yes the Madone is a faster by a mph or two, but the geometry is close enough I can switch back and forth with no issues. On roads like I think you are describing, I would go with the cychocross.

My Bikes
    2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Colnago Ace (Ultegra) and I can say that after riding just about every available brand of bike in that price range, the Ace won by leaps and bounds. Tampa has a lot of bike shops (4 within 15 miles of me) so I had a large selection to ride. My second choice was the Bianchi Infinito. Keep in mind, that I was looking for compact (relaxed) frame because I am 5'7" and performance and race frames were too aggressive for me.

BTW, I ride on 25cm tires and the wheel set that comes on the Ace are really not as bad as some think.
    Last edited by John_V; 06-27-12 at 03:59 PM.
    HCFR Cycling Team
    Ride Safe ... Ride Hard ... Ride Daily

2012 Colnago Ace
    2010 Giant Cypress

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just doesn't matter. I use a fixed-gear track bike with 23mm tires for everything from commuting to Paris-Brest-Paris. Nobody will care what you ride but you.

Luis

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Here comes some opinion... I have recently converted most of my road stable to larger tires 700x28,or 32) and am loving it. Depends on your riding --I don't race, but I'm continually disappointed to see the "road bike" category be mostly racers with 700x23 tires and barely able to fit 25's. I used to swear by 25's and would occasionally use 23's but last summer's trip on a superlight CF w/ 23's had some terrible experiences (hours and hours of banging over harsh expansion joints on my high pressure 23's, and some occasional gravel). Most of my road bikes are stuck on 25's as a their max. I've now built up some road bikes that are more suited to light touring and can take larger tires. Noticeable increase in comfort running 28's or 32's at 80 to 90 PSI, and I can now ride gravel and fire roads and hard pack MUTs.
    Just saying.
    Probably the end of this line is 650x42b, at least with current hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast