Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    recumbent terratrike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unspoken issue....

Getting older as nature calls do you take the time to let it flow or stop to find a toilet, tree or bush??

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess if I was wearing a Depends I would let it flow. Right before my race last Sunday (please don't rat me out) I found a space against a church and it's AC condenser to answer natures call.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't look at me! I've never gone long enough to need to go during a ride...

The obvious pun answer, of course, is... "That Depends"...

ACK! Poacher poster snuck in with the Depends before I could hit the reply button! AUGH!!!

On a seriouser note, it would probably pay to bring along an empty bottle, and maybe a coverage towel, for discrete pitstops... provided you're not racing or otherwise traveling light.
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 06-26-12 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is a toilet I use it. Most times there isn't. Last ride was a very tough Metric Century. I used "facilities" twice out of like 7 times. 7 bottles, seven pit stops. Lots of trees growing well right now in Western Md. When I drink I pee. Pretty much how it is.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trikerJudy View Post
    Getting older as nature calls do you take the time to let it flow or stop to find a toilet, tree or bush??
    I always go to the bathroom before a trip. With bicycling, usually sweating eliminates any needs while riding. If necessary, I find a toilet.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let it flow? eeeuuuwww! Plus just sweating in my chamois is giving me a diaper rash. Guys have it easier, for once. Any tree, bush, boulder, port-a-potty will do for some discrete release.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always go immediately prior to a ride or race. I used to also have to stop and go during rides a lot, but as I've gained strength and endurance, I find I just sweat it out and rarely have the need. If there is a toilet (like when we stop at a convenience store to refill) I use that, othersie it's whatever shrubbery is handy. Triathletes are known for just letting it go as they race, to the extent that when the local shop had a bunch of tri bikes in a room for some sort of clinic, they stunk up the place.

If you are watching a televised race and you see someone spraying their lower body with their water, it's being done as 'cleanup'.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the winter, I skip the coffee before my 50-minute ride in to work because I know that in the cold, I can't go that long without a restroom break. On the weekends, if I do have coffee, I'll have to stop maybe three times in the first hour. However, I find that having protein for breakfast (like ham and eggs) will attenuate this.

Things don't seem to be as bad when it's warm. And I'm not a big drinker. On a cool day, one bottle will last me at least 100 km. On big recreational rides, I always start with an empty bottle, filling it at the first rest stop. I always wonder why anyone would need to carry two bottles when there are stops every 50 km or so... But I admit, after the ride, I drink quite a bit. I just never get that thirsty during a ride, unless it's hot.

Luis

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine letting it go while riding. That would be one post-ride bike cleanup I would not look forward to.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've developed a skill at finding just the right kind of bush. E.g. If you're riding out in the country, a tree-fronted farm usually means that there's a farm road coming up. Turn down the farm road for 20 feet and go behind the trees - no need to clamber over grass and dirt etc.

At this time of year, riding past corn fields makes things pretty easy. As long as the corn is more than 3 feet high, you're set.

'Course, winter riding is more difficult in this regard, so I've learned which roads have a lot of evergreen conifers...
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Animals piss and whatever in the woods. Why is it so hard for some people to think we HAVE to do something different? I mean... come on it's a natural body function. Until 100 years ago or so everyone did it there. I'd also venture to say most humans on Earth still go outdoors. Plumbing isn't that widespread in the world. I guess I just don't understand.
    Take roll. Enjoy nature...

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I toured on motorcycles for 30 years, ride bicycles and did a bit of hiking throught Colorado, "Any port in a storm" is my moto"! If I gota go, I GOTA GO, LOL, finding a bush, under a bridge or culvert, tree, ramshakle house/cabin, if it's "out of the public eye", it's fair game! BUT NEVER while I'm riding, YUCK!!
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never while riding. Strangely, I almost never feel the need while riding. However, The urge can come quickly once I am off the bike.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt View Post
    I always wonder why anyone would need to carry two bottles when there are stops every 50 km or so...
    Some folks don't want to stop at every SAG, some folks have something other than plain water in at least one bottle, and many stops don't have ice, so if you want ice in your drink, you bring it filled.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    I always go to the bathroom before a trip. With bicycling, usually sweating eliminates any needs while riding. If necessary, I find a toilet.
    Same here, but I'll use a bush/tree/other "private" place. I guess that is one benefit of being a heavy sweater that I never realized before reading this thread. Rarely do I feel the need while out on a ride.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to be desparate to just let it go. Usually find a convenience store, fast food place, etc when I have to. Sometimes I have to buy stuff to use the facilities and I do but mark them in my mind as one I don't want to return to.

@bigbadwulf: I agree with your sentiments. There is no logical reason not to just go behind a suitable tree, alley, etc. However, here in Phoenix you can get charged with lewd conduct for it. Or I have heard that. I don't know about other places.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are endowed by the creator with certain inalienable rights, it sez in the American Declaration of Independence. Among these are the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I submit to all the assembled here that a just emptied bladder contributes to that happiness and is therefore protected activity under that declaration.

My Bikes
    1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1983 Trek 600, 1985 Trek 660, 197? Holdsworth Mistral, 1995 Trek 800 mountain bike, 2013 Jamis Coda Comp, 2013 Specialized Crosstrack.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with berner. Luckily, most of my riding is done on rural back roads, plenty of places to just pull over and find a tree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JUST LET IT GO???? And let it swish around in my shorts for the rest of the ride? He!! no. That thought has never occurred to me. I hereby resign my membership in the 50+ forum.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with bigbadwullf and berner. Unfortunately here in Los Angeles County, if caught, in addition to your arrest you need to register as a sex offender.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Escambia County Florida is one of the places that will arrest you for indecent exposure for going outside, if it is near kids, all bets are off. Not my rules, I just live here. We try and find a well shielded place and check the surroundings.

Bill

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
    I'd have to be desparate to just let it go. Usually find a convenience store, fast food place, etc when I have to. Sometimes I have to buy stuff to use the facilities and I do but mark them in my mind as one I don't want to return to.

@bigbadwulf: I agree with your sentiments. There is no logical reason not to just go behind a suitable tree, alley, etc. However, here in Phoenix you can get charged with lewd conduct for it. Or I have heard that. I don't know about other places.
    I read somewhere on the interwebs that if you want to avoid legal problems when answering the call, try not to let anyone see what you are doing and, failing that, make absolutely sure that no one can see your private bits.
    As previously posted, corn fields are very handy once the corn gets some height. Not much of that around Phoenix!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the "unspoken advantages" of being a night time rider, is that it is much easier to find a place to answer nature's call. A good stand of trees will do very nicely. Some of the public parks around suburban Boston now have port-a-potties. Someone finally figured out that moms and dads need to go, while they're attending the kids' soccer games. If you use a port-a-pottie, just
    do a quick visual scan for bees first.

On a more serious note, qcpmsame has an excellent point: You really need to exercise caution about this. In this day and age, all it takes is some non-understanding person with a cell phone to see you, and the next thing you know, you could find yourself dealing with some serious charges.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in the desert SouthWest trees are a rarity!
    We look for a saguaro cactus with a flushandle!

My Bikes
    too many/not enough
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate soybeans. Darn crop rotation.
    What is bicycle touring?
    "So I kept looking and eventually found that a spark plug had same threads. So I cycled next two days until I got to Jackson, MS with a spark plug instead of right pedal." - mev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast