Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-12, 09:42 AM   #1
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Abusing NSAIDs

Having dealt with back problems for 20 yrs (now mostly solved) I have become a regular user of Aleve. I take one every morning and every evening now, but I used to pop 4 to 8 a day for many many years. My doctor has said that he wouldn't have advised that strategy but problems would likely have emerged by now, so it appears I'm OK to continue use that makes my life better.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this or has stories of problems arising from long term use of NSAIDs.

(FYI, Facet Rhizotomy has made my life mostly pain free. And "pain free" is one great way to go through life)
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:44 AM   #2
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
I take one generic Aleve when I ride.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:48 AM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Celebrex - 1 per day. I am not sure if it helps or not, but I am SURE the pharmaceutical company is getting richer at $1.25 per tablet. Tylenol occasionally. I take one full adult aspirin daily because of my successful heart ablation 7 years ago.

I am advised not to take Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS due to possible negative interaction with ASA.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 10:24 AM   #4
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm doing Ibuprofen when needed. Up to 800 mg per day. If 800 mg doesn't do it more doesn't usually help.

For pain relief I prefer Tylenol. But my Dr recommended Ibuprofen for inflammation. Too bad you can't do both without risking kidney damage.
locolobo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 10:47 AM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I've been taking 400mg to 800mg of ibuprophen every morning for several years to keep arthritis in my back and shoulders at bay. On rare occasions, like after a very long ride, I'll take more later in the day, but usually once in the morning does it. No ill effects that I know about.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 11:02 AM   #6
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I mostly don't use anything, and live with the pain, unless it's really bad that day. Otherwise, I follow the fictitious Doctor's advice to "It hurts when I do this!", and just "don't do that!"
David Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 11:10 AM   #7
Phil_gretz
Journeyman Bike Commuter

Bikes: '88 Fuji Saratoga, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
My older brother (58yrs) became an abuser of NSAIDs because he had no way to cope with chronic abdominal contractions/pain due to a urinary valve implant. The short version is that he ignored signs of blood in his stools, and (you guessed it) collapsed at a sandwich shop one afternoon in March. The alert store manager called the police who had EMTs there in moments.

After a week sedated in ICU, and two endoscopic surgeries to stop the bleeding ulcer, he was discharged with strict instructions to watch/limit his NSAID intake. It was was touch-n-go for a few days there.

The lesson - know your body, know the risks and warning signs, and take proper care. Should be no problem for most people... Also, find a gastroenterologist that you trust and who will understand your lifestyle, as that helps.
Phil_gretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 12:38 PM   #8
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I take a small dose of aspirin for heart health. Other than that it's Ibu every now and then for long rides that I just know are going to hurt...but most of the time I just carry it in the bike bag.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 01:52 PM   #9
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
200mg Celebrex daily for my back and other issues for near 16 years. Went off it for a few months and was fine, but started back up for post surgery inflammation control(trigger finger and carpal tunnel releases). I then developed SI induced Sciatica and have been back on the Celebrex since. Liver is fine and no ulcers or other side effects. Take a low dose aspirin daily because of heart history in the family(diabetes increases chances as well).
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 05:43 PM   #10
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I used to take two to four aspirin for knee pain every day. Now that I live where medicine is practiced at an intolerably low level and the motorists are a bit too casual with my welfare, I don't take any NSAID before I ride; I'm afraid the physicians wouldn't know what to do with slow clotting. I still occasionally take a couple of aspirin after a long ride. On the up side, it has encouraged me to be better about my preventative efforts as regards joint pain. (For me these include yoga, particularly keeping the quadriceps flexible, and weight training, mostly leg extensions and curls both done with low weights, high rep numbers and no breaks.)
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 06:08 PM   #11
CrankyFranky

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!
I take at least 600mg of Ibu a day, and when I have an OA exacerbation, I may take three doses of 600 mg. Even with food, I can't do this for long. Right now my problems are different - am awaiting an achilles repair n two weeks. I've also taken the one low dose asprin, regularly, but with the high dose Ibu regimen, I skip that. And I'm not sure you can classify this as abuse.
CrankyFranky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 08:32 PM   #12
Texasplumr

Bikes: Raleigh Misceo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg View Post
Having dealt with back problems for 20 yrs (now mostly solved) I have become a regular user of Aleve. I take one every morning and every evening now, but I used to pop 4 to 8 a day for many many years. My doctor has said that he wouldn't have advised that strategy but problems would likely have emerged by now, so it appears I'm OK to continue use that makes my life better.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this or has stories of problems arising from long term use of NSAIDs.

(FYI, Facet Rhizotomy has made my life mostly pain free. And "pain free" is one great way to go through life)
I regularly used Ibuprophen when needed for years. I had a nerve issue in my neck and my doctor prescribed 500 mg Naproxen twice daily for 30 days. It's the second time in 2 years and it worked wonders. But this second time I ended up in the hospital with internal bleeding. I didn't realize it until I couldn't stand up without getting real dizzy. Took four units of blood to bring up the Hemoglobin where it is supposed to be. It was more than a little scary, it's the first time I've ever been in the hospital.

I've been told to take nothing but Tylenol for pain from now on. Everybody is different but that is my experience.
Texasplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 10:20 PM   #13
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
85 mg ASA Daily for heart health. If it keeps the pain in check all the better. Since I have been taking it longer than I have been riding seriously, it's hard to gauge the effect on pain.
CommuteCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 05:56 AM   #14
qcpmsame 
USMC, 1975-1977

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Cannot take any acetaminophen due to using it for almost 20 years in the darvocet form for my back. Too much build up in my liver, the doctor said. Also have kidney damage (irreversible) and this rules out most other NSAIDS and OTC pain meds. I have pain management Rx I use when absolutely have to. I understand Aleve will work but not sure. need to ask the P.M. physician.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13 NIV
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 09:24 AM   #15
overthehillmedi

Bikes:
One thing we all need to be aware of is the cumulative effects of acetaminaphen on the old bod. The toxic liver/kidney dose is as low as 100mg of the drug per kilo body weight per day for some people. i.e. if you weigh 60 Ks then 6000mg/day from all sources can cause problems if taken long term. 6000mgs equals 18 tabs of regular strength acetaminophen. The problems occurs when one takes a group of OTC meds which contain acetaminophen. Cold meds,muscle relaxents and others almost all contain it.
overthehillmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 10:35 AM   #16
Grand Bois

Bikes:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
My mother was taking Aleve daily until it gave double bleeding stomach ulcers. She spent four days in the hospital receiving blood transfusions. The hospital billed Medicare $56k.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 11:09 AM   #17
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm careful to take my Aleve with food. I suspect that to be very important.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 03:02 PM   #18
Grand Bois

Bikes:
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I won't touch the stuff. I'm 64 and something always hurts, but I do my best to ignore it.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 07:31 PM   #19
qcpmsame 
USMC, 1975-1977

Bikes: '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra, '78 Medici Pro Strada
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Saw the doctor today, Ibuprophen is the only OTC I can take due to a history of peptic ulcers and no acetaminophen because of the kidney failures and the long term build up in my liver. Haven't touched an aceto since 2005.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me. Philippians 4:13 NIV
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 07:37 PM   #20
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
85 mg ASA Daily for heart health. If it keeps the pain in check all the better. Since I have been taking it longer than I have been riding seriously, it's hard to gauge the effect on pain.
That's a 'baby aspirin' dose and is unlikely to have any effect on pain in an adult.
Old 06-29-12, 08:39 PM   #21
Roadfrog

Bikes: Two LeMond Buenos Aires...steel.
I can't take any amount of Aleve. It destroys my digestive system. I occasionally take ibuprofen and aspirin.

One thing that nobody mentioned is stretching. I get down on the floor before and after riding and just stretch everything slowly and without much force. If you don't stretch your hamstrings as a cycler, they will get very tight. Also, get a foam cylinder from your local physical therapist and they work wonders on the butt and back.

Another thing that can't be over emphasized is to drink as much water as you can stand all the time. I pee a lot but I start hurting when I don't stay very hydrated.

When all the above fails, I just take one hydrocodone and everything relaxes and it's all over for a long long time. It seems to relax my whole body and I quit fighting it. I look at it as less harmful than taking a handful of ibuprofen or tylenol everyday as long as it isn't taken regularly. My 2 cents.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 10:46 PM   #22
kehomer

Bikes:
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I took ibuprophen for my hip/knee arthritis for years. Got to where it didn't work that well when I had "get your attention quick" hip pain. Doctor put me on Diclofenac tabs 150 mg daily about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Works. Couple of months ago I went back to the Doctor with stomach cramps. Told him I had heard that staying on this type of medicine for long periods might not be a good thing. He said fine, stop taking it but your pain will come back. Prescribed Belladonna-Phenobarb for the cramps. After reading what you guys have contributed, think I will hold off on the Diclofenac for a while. Thanks for the information.
kehomer is offline   Reply With Quote