Thread: Abusing NSAIDs

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abusing NSAIDs

Having dealt with back problems for 20 yrs (now mostly solved) I have become a regular user of Aleve. I take one every morning and every evening now, but I used to pop 4 to 8 a day for many many years. My doctor has said that he wouldn't have advised that strategy but problems would likely have emerged by now, so it appears I'm OK to continue use that makes my life better.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this or has stories of problems arising from long term use of NSAIDs.

(FYI, Facet Rhizotomy has made my life mostly pain free. And "pain free" is one great way to go through life)
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take one generic Aleve when I ride.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Celebrex - 1 per day. I am not sure if it helps or not, but I am SURE the pharmaceutical company is getting richer at $1.25 per tablet. Tylenol occasionally. I take one full adult aspirin daily because of my successful heart ablation 7 years ago.

I am advised not to take Ibuprofen and other NSAIDS due to possible negative interaction with ASA.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing Ibuprofen when needed. Up to 800 mg per day. If 800 mg doesn't do it more doesn't usually help.

For pain relief I prefer Tylenol. But my Dr recommended Ibuprofen for inflammation. Too bad you can't do both without risking kidney damage.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been taking 400mg to 800mg of ibuprophen every morning for several years to keep arthritis in my back and shoulders at bay. On rare occasions, like after a very long ride, I'll take more later in the day, but usually once in the morning does it. No ill effects that I know about.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly don't use anything, and live with the pain, unless it's really bad that day. Otherwise, I follow the fictitious Doctor's advice to "It hurts when I do this!", and just "don't do that!"

Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My older brother (58yrs) became an abuser of NSAIDs because he had no way to cope with chronic abdominal contractions/pain due to a urinary valve implant. The short version is that he ignored signs of blood in his stools, and (you guessed it) collapsed at a sandwich shop one afternoon in March. The alert store manager called the police who had EMTs there in moments.

After a week sedated in ICU, and two endoscopic surgeries to stop the bleeding ulcer, he was discharged with strict instructions to watch/limit his NSAID intake. It was was touch-n-go for a few days there.

The lesson - know your body, know the risks and warning signs, and take proper care. Should be no problem for most people... Also, find a gastroenterologist that you trust and who will understand your lifestyle, as that helps.

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a small dose of aspirin for heart health. Other than that it's Ibu every now and then for long rides that I just know are going to hurt...but most of the time I just carry it in the bike bag.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    200mg Celebrex daily for my back and other issues for near 16 years. Went off it for a few months and was fine, but started back up for post surgery inflammation control(trigger finger and carpal tunnel releases). I then developed SI induced Sciatica and have been back on the Celebrex since. Liver is fine and no ulcers or other side effects. Take a low dose aspirin daily because of heart history in the family(diabetes increases chances as well).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to take two to four aspirin for knee pain every day. Now that I live where medicine is practiced at an intolerably low level and the motorists are a bit too casual with my welfare, I don't take any NSAID before I ride; I'm afraid the physicians wouldn't know what to do with slow clotting. I still occasionally take a couple of aspirin after a long ride. On the up side, it has encouraged me to be better about my preventative efforts as regards joint pain. (For me these include yoga, particularly keeping the quadriceps flexible, and weight training, mostly leg extensions and curls both done with low weights, high rep numbers and no breaks.)

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take at least 600mg of Ibu a day, and when I have an OA exacerbation, I may take three doses of 600 mg. Even with food, I can't do this for long. Right now my problems are different - am awaiting an achilles repair n two weeks. I've also taken the one low dose asprin, regularly, but with the high dose Ibu regimen, I skip that. And I'm not sure you can classify this as abuse.
    69 Raleigh Sports, '72 Atala Record, '82 Stan Pike

My Bikes
    Raleigh Misceo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg View Post
    Having dealt with back problems for 20 yrs (now mostly solved) I have become a regular user of Aleve. I take one every morning and every evening now, but I used to pop 4 to 8 a day for many many years. My doctor has said that he wouldn't have advised that strategy but problems would likely have emerged by now, so it appears I'm OK to continue use that makes my life better.

Just wondering if anyone else is doing this or has stories of problems arising from long term use of NSAIDs.

(FYI, Facet Rhizotomy has made my life mostly pain free. And "pain free" is one great way to go through life)
    I regularly used Ibuprophen when needed for years. I had a nerve issue in my neck and my doctor prescribed 500 mg Naproxen twice daily for 30 days. It's the second time in 2 years and it worked wonders. But this second time I ended up in the hospital with internal bleeding. I didn't realize it until I couldn't stand up without getting real dizzy. Took four units of blood to bring up the Hemoglobin where it is supposed to be. It was more than a little scary, it's the first time I've ever been in the hospital.

I've been told to take nothing but Tylenol for pain from now on. Everybody is different but that is my experience.
    Russ Lane
    ATX
    "I'm old and I'm slow"

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    85 mg ASA Daily for heart health. If it keeps the pain in check all the better. Since I have been taking it longer than I have been riding seriously, it's hard to gauge the effect on pain.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannot take any acetaminophen due to using it for almost 20 years in the darvocet form for my back. Too much build up in my liver, the doctor said. Also have kidney damage (irreversible) and this rules out most other NSAIDS and OTC pain meds. I have pain management Rx I use when absolutely have to. I understand Aleve will work but not sure. need to ask the P.M. physician.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing we all need to be aware of is the cumulative effects of acetaminaphen on the old bod. The toxic liver/kidney dose is as low as 100mg of the drug per kilo body weight per day for some people. i.e. if you weigh 60 Ks then 6000mg/day from all sources can cause problems if taken long term. 6000mgs equals 18 tabs of regular strength acetaminophen. The problems occurs when one takes a group of OTC meds which contain acetaminophen. Cold meds,muscle relaxents and others almost all contain it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mother was taking Aleve daily until it gave double bleeding stomach ulcers. She spent four days in the hospital receiving blood transfusions. The hospital billed Medicare $56k.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm careful to take my Aleve with food. I suspect that to be very important.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't touch the stuff. I'm 64 and something always hurts, but I do my best to ignore it.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the doctor today, Ibuprophen is the only OTC I can take due to a history of peptic ulcers and no acetaminophen because of the kidney failures and the long term build up in my liver. Haven't touched an aceto since 2005.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    85 mg ASA Daily for heart health. If it keeps the pain in check all the better. Since I have been taking it longer than I have been riding seriously, it's hard to gauge the effect on pain.
    That's a 'baby aspirin' dose and is unlikely to have any effect on pain in an adult.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Two LeMond Buenos Aires...steel.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't take any amount of Aleve. It destroys my digestive system. I occasionally take ibuprofen and aspirin.

One thing that nobody mentioned is stretching. I get down on the floor before and after riding and just stretch everything slowly and without much force. If you don't stretch your hamstrings as a cycler, they will get very tight. Also, get a foam cylinder from your local physical therapist and they work wonders on the butt and back.

Another thing that can't be over emphasized is to drink as much water as you can stand all the time. I pee a lot but I start hurting when I don't stay very hydrated.

When all the above fails, I just take one hydrocodone and everything relaxes and it's all over for a long long time. It seems to relax my whole body and I quit fighting it. I look at it as less harmful than taking a handful of ibuprofen or tylenol everyday as long as it isn't taken regularly. My 2 cents.
    "Only the knife knows what goes on in the heart of the pumpkin"

"If you can't have fun, don't show up"....me

"Everywhere I go, fun follows me"....my daughter

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took ibuprophen for my hip/knee arthritis for years. Got to where it didn't work that well when I had "get your attention quick" hip pain. Doctor put me on Diclofenac tabs 150 mg daily about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Works. Couple of months ago I went back to the Doctor with stomach cramps. Told him I had heard that staying on this type of medicine for long periods might not be a good thing. He said fine, stop taking it but your pain will come back. Prescribed Belladonna-Phenobarb for the cramps. After reading what you guys have contributed, think I will hold off on the Diclofenac for a while. Thanks for the information.