Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Something special on my Birthday (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/828316-something-special-my-birthday.html)

cyclinfool 06-27-12 10:18 AM

Something special on my Birthday

Colonoscopy - the ultimate innuendo :notamused:

locolobo13 06-27-12 10:21 AM

The procedure didn't bother me too much. I was drugged! But the preparation the day before was Heck!!!

Allegheny Jet 06-27-12 10:49 AM

I had my annual doctor checkup last week and we discussed that it was 5 years since my last colonoscopy. He gave me a take home kit that has me send a sample in the enclosed self addressed envelope. Anybody have insight on that method?

Phil_gretz 06-27-12 11:15 AM

Well, it could be worse.

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 14412146)
I had my annual doctor checkup last week and we discussed that it was 5 years since my last colonoscopy. He gave me a take home kit that has me send a sample in the enclosed self addressed envelope. Anybody have insight on that method?

I'm told that there are some tests that can be done to determine whether abnormal lining cells are present by examining stools. :twitchy:

To cyclinfool - have a happy birthday. The drugs do give you a feeling of well being afterwards. Remember, don't operate any heavy equipment, drive, or make any significant life or financial decisions in the 24 hours immediately following the procedure. :) Also, no bike riding.:notamused:

cyclinfool 06-27-12 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 14412146)

Those tests are usually looking for blood - it is SOP.
I hate them so I usually thank the doc and toss it in the trash when I get home.
I am probably being foolish and pigheaded though.

cyclinfool 06-27-12 11:52 AM

Thanks Phil,
Figured I would do it on my Birthday - that way I get a day around the house to do nothing, and I get a day off work w/o taking a vacation day.
The prep is hard but this is my 4th time so I know how to make it a little easier (at least for me).

buckwheat987 06-27-12 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 14412302)

To cyclinfool - have a happy birthday. The drugs do give you a feeling of well being afterwards. Remember, don't operate any heavy equipment, drive, or make any significant life or financial decisions in the 24 hours immediately following the procedure.

So true...I wanted a buy a new car so badly once I got out of the procedure...good thing the wifey was with me!

mprelaw 06-27-12 12:02 PM

I can think of worse things than Propofol euphoria on my birthday. Have your ride treat you to a nice big breakfast, too, before the high wears off.

Phil_gretz 06-27-12 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mprelaw (Post 14412598)
I can think of worse things than Propofol euphoria on my birthday. Have your ride treat you to a nice big breakfast, too, before the high wears off.

I recall the jovial anaesthesiologist, who introduced me to his two friends, whom he called "blue velvet" and "white lightning". They were the blue and white hypodermic syringes, respectively. He said that blue velvet would help me relax. It did. He also said something about white lightning making me forget his conversation...I don't remember the rest, except when they were waking me up...

A distant voice calling "philip... philip... it's time to wake up..."

mapeiboy 06-27-12 12:50 PM

I had my done last year in a hospital . The test came back negative so the doctor I am good for the next 10 years .

CraigB 06-27-12 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by buckwheat987 (Post 14412557)
So true...I wanted a buy a new car so badly once I got out of the procedure...good thing the wifey was with me!

I was so out of it, all I could think of was how brilliant my wife was when she suggested we go get milk shakes. At the time, and in my condition, my brain thought that was The Best Idea In The World.

Bikey Mikey 06-27-12 01:57 PM

Did mine last year. Don't remember any of it after going into the "room." Found a couple of polyps--none were cancerous or pre-cancerous, but were of the type that have possibility of such. Next one is in 2 years from now; 3 years from the procedure.

cyclinfool 06-27-12 02:09 PM

For all previous ones I was out of it, for this one the anesthesiologist asked if I was curious about the procedure. I said there was nothing in there I wanted to know about. However she left me conscous so I saw the whole thing. At some time during the proceedure I said "see if you can find my head me wife said I put it in there..." The Doc broke out laughing.

miss kenton 06-27-12 03:58 PM

Have your colonoscopy first, then celebrate your birthday, because you don't want to be a party-pooper.

(Forgive me.)

Dan Burkhart 06-27-12 09:09 PM

Happy birthday. The procedure is a good way to increase your chances for many more.
Had my first one two years ago when I was 56.

CommuteCommando 06-27-12 10:22 PM

It's not painful, or even that uncomfortable during the prep. A non-issue really.

qcpmsame 06-28-12 05:40 AM

Had the deed done to me numerous times, once without anesthesia, and the endoscopy the same amount of times. They use Versed at The Endoscopy Center that is go to here. Same euphoria from the "instant amnesia" effect as propofol (sp) with no after effects I ever noticed. due for another this year. Whooopeeeee.

Bill

HillRiderEast 07-04-12 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 14412515)
Those tests are usually looking for blood - it is SOP.
I hate them so I usually thank the doc and toss it in the trash when I get home.
I am probably being foolish and pigheaded though.

It is called a Guiac and it detects blood. Another similar test is called a FIT test. Good tests to do in-between colonoscopies and they are usually done annually. Don't throw them away, return them. Your doc is doing you a favor as many will only do colonscopies every 10 years. Sometimes the prep for a colonoscopy is only fair (meaning they really can't see everything). If you are offered a guiac in between go for it and don't be fussy about it - could help save your life.