Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    recumbent terratrike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cycling, heart disease and CPR

I've read many have had heart attacks with intervention, heart disease doesn't go away. My hubby in 2010 had a heart attack 95% block needed two stints. On Plavix, good diet, strong, long distance cyclist. In 2012 after a short ride feeling good with many people around he had a sudden cardiac arrest! SO LUCKY someone new CPR kept him going till paramedics came. He had to get a cardiac shock. Made it to the hospital, had open heart surgery for a double bi-pass, doctors were shocked he was still alive! His stints were blocked even though the stint is treated with medication to prevent it, the stints had to be remove. 6 weeks later back on his bike!!! He is good for now but close watch by doctors. CPR is so important his cycling group the Old Farts club and I all took a class on CPR. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK!
    Last edited by trikerJudy; 06-28-12 at 10:45 AM.

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My job requires me to have CPR certification (ACLS, actually). I've only had to perform CPR once "in the field," on a 3 year old with heat stroke. This was on the beach at a state park campground. It took the ambulance about half an hour to get there. She made it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trikerJudy View Post
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK!
    +1 I had one at 46.
    __o
    _'\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MCI-2 stents at 53 in '08

Brother in law is retired firefighter. Wife wants me to ride with him more often, or at least in groups.

It is hard for me to find a group that fits. the few "slow" groups are too slow for me. The club nearest me has such a slow group, an intermediate group, and a fast group. The intermediate rides are billed as "30mi+-Moderate pace". Advanced are advertised 60mi+. I went on an intermediate ride. The moving average on the flats was 18mph, and the distance was 58 mi.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    recumbent terratrike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDThompson View Post
    My job requires me to have CPR certification (ACLS, actually). I've only had to perform CPR once "in the field," on a 3 year old with heat stroke. This was on the beach at a state park campground. It took the ambulance about half an hour to get there. She made it!
    Congratulations feels great to save a life. I'm an retired RN so took the CPR class again SO different than what I first learned.

My Bikes
    recumbent terratrike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    MCI-2 stents at 53 in '08

Brother in law is retired firefighter. Wife wants me to ride with him more often, or at least in groups.

It is hard for me to find a group that fits. the few "slow" groups are too slow for me. The club nearest me has such a slow group, an intermediate group, and a fast group. The intermediate rides are billed as "30mi+-Moderate pace". Advanced are advertised 60mi+. I went on an intermediate ride. The moving average on the flats was 18mph, and the distance was 58 mi.
    I agree with your wife have you thought about starting your own cycle group?

My Bikes
    2010 Trek Wahoo, 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2012 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya'll are scaring me. With two stints, I thought I was good to go for a few more years. Now you got me thinking again.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bypass in 99 and no re-occurence yet. Cholesterol check every 6 months and that is fine. But the initial heart attack came with no warning and when I was fit and in training for a big ride. Started as slight chest pain and not long before I was phoning for an ambulance. They come without any warning- even if you think you are fit. And mine occurred 2 days after a training ride while doing no exertion- sitting in a traffic jam.

Over here we have a TV advert by Vinnie Jones and is just cPR done to the beat of the BG's record "Staying alive"....... Very apt music.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Bypass in 99 and no re-occurence yet. Cholesterol check every 6 months and that is fine. But the initial heart attack came with no warning and when I was fit and in training for a big ride. Started as slight chest pain and not long before I was phoning for an ambulance. They come without any warning- even if you think you are fit. And mine occurred 2 days after a training ride while doing no exertion- sitting in a traffic jam.

Over here we have a TV advert by Vinnie Jones and is just cPR done to the beat of the BG's record "Staying alive"....... Very apt music.
    I was at high risk at the time - morbidly obese, junk diet. I was riding about 20-25 miles/week at the time, but found the hard way that exercise alone is not enough. I now ride about 100 miles/week, am almost 50# lighter and the docs are happy.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    1961 Follis Road Bike, 1992 Specialized Allez, 2008 Specialized Roubix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my stents blocked up, causing my second heart attack, a year ago March. You never know. I came pretty close to total heart failure.

Bringing someone back who's heart has totally stopped with CPR is not a sure thing, I think about 5% survive. Even having your heart stop in the hospital, survival rate is less than 20%.

Even with just a 5% survival rate with CPR in the field, I'll take those odds if I ever have another heart attack, and hope I'm with someone who knows how to perform CPR.
    This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Icyclist, the blog considered too areodite for bikeforums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    They come without any warning- even if you think you are fit. And mine occurred 2 days after a training ride while doing no exertion- sitting in a traffic jam.
    Yep, I've had three and none were when I would have expected them.

First: I was sound asleep and it woke me up. Drove myself to the hospital (big mistake).

Second: Laying on the couch watching TV. (911 with ambulance ride this time.)

Third: Setting at my computer. (Ambulance ride and didn't think I was going to make it.)

I was a prime candidate for all of these. Smoker (quit after first one), overweight, out of shape with a terrible diet. Last time around was 06, triple by-pass. Since then I've lost 75 pounds, I'm riding 500 miles a month and have totally changed my diet. Feel better now than I have in 40 years.
    __o
    _'\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I were certified as CPR instructors some time ago.

I've only ever had to do CPR on one person - and that was MY WIFE!!

Kept her going for about 10 minutes, and she came to just before the paramedics arrived. (I was so 'enthusiastic' in applying CPR, I unwittingly broke one of her ribs.)

I have NEVER been so afraid - still makes my eyes 'prickle' when I think about it.

Trust me - if you don't know CPR, go and learn it NOW!
    Regards,
    Duncan

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, they are now teaching only breathing and not heart palpation. True?
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a practicing MICN-RN and run a very busy community ED on the weekends. High quality CPR is only one portion of the ACLS algorhythm ------ electricity is the most important. Ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibulation are the two most common arrhythmias that stop folks in their tracks. That is why it is imperitive that one activate EMS with any shortness of breath, chest pain that radiates to the back,shoulders,neck,mandible and for you ladies abdominal pain with radiation to the same. All of those symptoms with pallor and profuse sweating equals a call to EMS. Do not drive your self to the ER for obvious reasons ------- for whats its worth chew 4 baby asprin even you have already had your daily asprin dose ------- even if you are on plavix do the asprin. Continue the CPR trianing too. Lp
    "You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."

- Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    As I understand it, they are now teaching only breathing and not heart palpation. True?
    Not true. Lp
    "You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."

- Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

My Bikes
    recumbent terratrike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over here we have a TV advert by Vinnie Jones and is just cPR done to the beat of the BG's record "Staying alive"....... Very apt music.[/QUOTE]

Had my CPR class this June in California USA They used the same song I think so we'll always remember the quick rhythm.

My Bikes
    recumbent terratrike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    My wife and I were certified as CPR instructors some time ago.

I've only ever had to do CPR on one person - and that was MY WIFE!!

Kept her going for about 10 minutes, and she came to just before the paramedics arrived. (I was so 'enthusiastic' in applying CPR, I unwittingly broke one of her ribs.)

I have NEVER been so afraid - still makes my eyes 'prickle' when I think about it.

Trust me - if you don't know CPR, go and learn it NOW!
    Yes they will live from a broken rib so for others to know you keep on pumping!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the 'Hubby' trikerJ mentioned. I pretty much 'earned' my first heart attack in 2010 by 25+ years of smoking, drinking, and consuming a diet that shoved both my total cholesterol and LDL (the 'bad' cholesterol) through the roof while reducing my HDL (the good lipid). I was one hypertensive, stressed out MI waiting to happen. At age 62, on June 3, 2010, the waiting ended. Fortunately for me, I had not always been such a reprobate. Throughout my 30's, I was an active cyclist, not smoking or drinking, and pretty much stress-free. For whatever reason, I came out of the 2010 event (a 100% obstruction of the right main coronary artery) with an essentially undamaged heart as seen in echocardiograms and radio-nucleotide stress tests. Maybe the condition I was in back in the 80's had something to do with it, but only a fool ignores a second chance like that.

So I went went right back to the lifestyle I has lived back in those halcyon days. Quit smoking, cut way back on alcohol, returned to a sensible semi-vegetarian diet, dropped 65 pounds while retuning to cycling with a vengance, and learned to drop the stressors I could and deal constructively with the ones I couldn't. By June 2011, I was the picture of health. All my lab work, echo's, and stress tests were perfect or better. I was walking around with a resting pulse in the 50's, knocking down 100 - 150 miles a week, able to hold a solo 18+ MPH on the flats in dead air pretty much indefinitely, and feeling better than I had in 20 years. To say it was an epiphany would be putting it mildly. Those 12 months were more like a spiritual experience that just a physical one. It was an awakening, to say the least.

Then came the SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) event in 2012. For reasons I'll never understand, I once again was the luckiest man on the planet. First just to have survived, and secondly to have come through it and the subsequent double bypass again with essentially normal heart function. Trust me, there are more than a couple cardiac surgeons and cardiologists scratching their heads over me. Speaking of 'head scratching', with all I had done and was doing and the effects it had clearly had on my health, I was asking a lot of questions prefaced with "WTF..."

I finally got an explanation from my heart surgeon that made sense. What he said was, once you've got CAD, you'll always be at some higher than normal risk for cardiac events. There is no cure. There are things you can do to reduce the risk, which is what I was doing, but no amount of risk mitigation completely removes the risk. It's like dividing some number, any number by say, 2. If you do it iteratively, the result does approach zero, but it will never become zero.

So trust me, I'm doing all the division a man can do as fast as any man ever has, and I do feel great again. I'm almost back into my pre-SCA form, and I'm still loving every minute of it. I'm also aware of the risks, and I calculate my risks as carefully as I can. But I look at it this way, we're all at risk one way or another. Sooner or later we all die of something. But what's really important is the living, having as good a time as you possibly can and sharing as much of the best you've got as widely as possible. That's what counts, folks. The dying will take care of itself.

Meantime, I do play that BeeGee's tune in my head alot... "Stayin' Alive..." Indeed
    Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play.
    Immanuel Kant

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whoa! Just the opposite!

I think it's something like 15-20 chest compressions separated by one or two quick breaths. The less heart compression is interrupted, the better.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite the opposite. Do yourself and everyone around you a favor. Take a basic CPR course. Do it NOW. Someone's life may depend upon it. I can be that cranky about it because last February, mine did, and someone who'd taken a CPR course saved it.
    Experience without theory is blind, but theory without experience is mere intellectual play.
    Immanuel Kant

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Whoa! Just the opposite!

I think it's something like 15-20 chest compressions separated by one or two quick breaths. The less heart compression is interrupted, the better.
    This: ^^^^^^^^
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
    Not true. Lp
    Quote Originally Posted by bsektzer View Post
    Quite the opposite. Do yourself and everyone around you a favor. Take a basic CPR course. Do it NOW. Someone's life may depend upon it. I can be that cranky about it because last February, mine did, and someone who'd taken a CPR course saved it.
    Hmm!!

I wonder why they have a "Hands Only" course on the official Red Cross website, which uses only heart palpation (and I was incorrect in my original statement about breath only). without breathing support??

http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Do...lyCPRsheet.pdf

I was specifically told by the instructor who teaches the lifeguard class at our Rec Center that they no longer teach the heart/breathing technique in the Lifeguard requirements.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-28-12 at 07:31 PM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to renew my certs. I let it lapse with everything going on since my F-I-L died last May. Classes here just about any day and time you desire. Checking tomorrow and making a reservation. Thanks everybody for the heads up and informative replies to the O.P.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, I think you mean chest compressions.

I recently took a CPR class for health care providers, certified by the American Heart Association (AHA). In 2010, ABC (Airway, Breathing, Circulation) was changed to CAB: Start compressions first, then give two breaths. For laypersons (not health care providers), they are teaching compressions only. Apparently, the Red Cross teaches it differently; in my rescue class our instructor (an EMT) recommended the AHA class over the Red Cross.

Hmm!!

I wonder why they have a "Hands Only" course on the official Red Cross website, which uses only heart palpation (and I was incorrect in my original statement about breath only). without breathing support??

I was specifically told by the instructor who teaches the lifeguard class at our Rec Center that they no longer teach the heart/breathing technique in the Lifeguard requirements.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm!!

As many lay people as possible should take the Hands Only training. I just recently recertified with Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers which does teach about rescue breathing, too. But, the most important thing to save lives in cardiac arrest is chest compressions, which is what is emphasized in Hands Only training. With an equally heavy emphasis on calling for help (911/EMS) and getting/using an AED if available.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast