User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An accident, and a blessing.

Yesterday at 2:00 pm I received the phonecall every parent dreads. "Your son has been in a bicycle accident and an ambulance is taking him to hospital"

Stephen, a professional triathlete, was doing a 50 mile time trial on a long flat section of highway that he has ridden hundreds of times before. Somehow he got off course at an uncontrolled interesection and hit a low concrete barrier.

Amazingly, after crushing the front of his helmet, and fracturing the downtube of his carbon fibre bike, all he received was road rash and two broken ribs. The relief I felt when the CT scan of his head indicated no concussion or other problems was beyond compare.

What I can't figure out is how he can break his bike frame, and still have 2 true wheels. Wonders never cease.

We are two very thankful parents.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Sempre; CAAD 10
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad he is OK..all the best for a speedy recover

My Bikes
    Marin MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! Those ribs are going to hurt like the dickens, but so glad it wasn't any worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmSV650 View Post
    ...I guess I am an Athena since that's what we're calling the females, but really I'm more like a very fat Shetland pony mare.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post
    Stephen, a professional triathlete, was doing a 50 mile time trial on a long flat section of highway that he has ridden hundreds of times before. Somehow he got off course at an uncontrolled interesection and hit a low concrete barrier.
    As someone who got his first TT bike a few weeks ago, I know just how easy it is for that to happen. On my way home from work yesterday, I ran over a branch laying across the bike path. Never saw it until a couple feet before I hit it. I kept thinking how glad I was it wasn't a stroller. And on a long effort, you go into a zone where you are just totally focused on the pedal stroke. My first 40K, I blew past the turnaround, my only thought being "Gee... guy at side and a cone in the middle, must be getting close." TT's are the ultimate "set aside your brain" endeavor.

I'm really glad he is essentially okay. And I've broken a top tube (bike fell off the car rack) and still had true (CF) wheels.

One more note is that an older brother, avid cyclist when we were young, managed to plow into the rear of a parked VW bug, catapulting himself completely over the car. He ended up an engineer, and I'm guessing he did it just to see what speed was needed to accomplish it.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! A narrow escape there. Glad he wasn't hurt any worse. Bikes can be replaced.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad he's okay. Sounds like he dodged a bullet.

What I can't figure out is how he can break his bike frame, and still have 2 true wheels. Wonders never cease.
    Hoop strength. I've done the same thing, on a steel bike. I bent the top tube, buckled the downtube, and bent the fork enough that the tire hit the downtube. The frame was trashed thoroughly, but I'm still riding on that wheel.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 50 mile Time Trial..........enough said.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear it was not serious. Kids can scare the he** out of you.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

My Bikes
    Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Meh! Worthless helmets.

My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear he made it through ok...
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it wasn't more serious. Hope for a quick recovery.

Motorcycle RoadRacer cehowardGS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad he is okay, and I think the helmet did what it was intended to do, and that is to protect the rider's head.
    2001 Raleigh R700
    1996 Litespeed Classic
    1995 Klein Quantum
    1989 Cannondale Black Lightning
    1988 Centurion Expert Ironman
    1989 Centurion Master Ironman
    1986 Schwinn Prelude(Beater)
    1986 Raleigh Grand Prix(Beater2)
    1985 Raleigh Prestige
    1985 Raleigh Competition
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #1
    1985 Raleigh Grand Prix #2 (project #1)
    1985 Raleigh Super Course (project #4)
    1979 Raleigh Competition GS-1

2007 Suzuki GSX R1K (commuter)
    http://www.cehoward.net/pretty.jpg
    74,Old,Dirty,&Fast

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that he is okay, went through this racing dirt bikes with my son. The helmet did its job and absorbed the energy that was then not transferred to his head. Hope you are okay and breathing normally now.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Community Guidelines, the FAQ is off line right now:http://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html Read this sometime, it can answer a lot of gripes and save you from some assumptions.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz View Post
    Meh! Worthless helmets.
    Yep......didn't protect his ribs..............

Hope the discomfort of the rib injuries is as tolerable as possible. Sounds like things could have been much worse.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTallRider View Post
    As someone who got his first TT bike a few weeks ago, I know just how easy it is for that to happen. On my way home from work yesterday, I ran over a branch laying across the bike path. Never saw it until a couple feet before I hit it. I kept thinking how glad I was it wasn't a stroller. And on a long effort, you go into a zone where you are just totally focused on the pedal stroke. My first 40K, I blew past the turnaround, my only thought being "Gee... guy at side and a cone in the middle, must be getting close." TT's are the ultimate "set aside your brain" endeavor.

I'm really glad he is essentially okay. And I've broken a top tube (bike fell off the car rack) and still had true (CF) wheels.

One more note is that an older brother, avid cyclist when we were young, managed to plow into the rear of a parked VW bug, catapulting himself completely over the car. He ended up an engineer, and I'm guessing he did it just to see what speed was needed to accomplish it.
    I love gallows humor.

Hope your friend's son, skilsaw, has a speedy recovery.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received that call two years ago. It makes your heart stop for a moment, and the the panic sets in. So glad to hear that the injuries were not worse than they were. You, as you stated, have much to be thankful for.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did that to my parents, twice. Once while skiing, once on the bike.
    So far, my kids have only come home with some scrapes and bruises. And lessons learned, like don't skateboard barefoot.

Glad your son has only minor injuries. Buy him a new helmet, the bike can be on him for not watching where he was going.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cehowardGS View Post
    Glad he is okay, and I think the helmet did what it was intended to do, and that is to protect the rider's head.
    +1

Glad to hear that he will mend.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear that your son is OK.

The reason carbon fiber can make such light frames is that it allows the designer to put the strength precisely where it needs to be for anticipated riding stresses, while leaving weight off those areas that do not require strength for the anticipated stresses. Crashes are not "anticipated stresses" in this scenario, so the strength that would have saved the frame in that situation just wasn't there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad he is OK. Funny you should mention the bike damage and no wheel damage. See this recent post on another site: http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/frame-fail-797889.html

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad that he is going to be OK. As noted above, the broken ribs are going to cause what is called in the medical world as "discomfort" which translated means "lots of pain".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he crushed the front of his helmet, he had a concussion, and its usually termed MTBI (mild traumatic brain injury) these days. Look at definition in Wikipedia to start. Note "Most concussions cannot be detected with MRI or CT scans." The CT helps to find a bleed, like the seemingly mild head injury that killed Natasha Richardson. If his head was decelerated fast enough to deform helmet, his brain rotated and impacted the inside front of his skull. I had two cracked LAS Squalos and two "concussions" a couple of years ago. Super glad he's OK. He should continue to be watched and evaluated for post crash symptoms. And any additional head trauma in the near future would not be a good thing. I know. Again - extremely glad he's OK.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad he's okay. As to the carbon fiber versus wheels, just think about it. There is no wonder to it (yes, I ride cf too).
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good that he is OK

My wife has had a jinx going where something bad has happened on each of her major birthdays. Several years ago, her 50th birthday was coming up, and I had thought that I would beat the jinx by planning a short vacation on Monhegan Island in Maine. We had set up babysitting, and left mid morning to catch the ferry to the island when my cell phone rang, and it was the secretary at my son's school with a message - "Please meet your son at the emergency room" - She didn't know any more than that, so we turned around and went to the hospital, with the dread which you know - for the hour and a half drive.
    When we met him there, he had broken a collar bone, demonstrating a dive roll over a picnic table at school.

I am glad to report that the streak was finally broken with an uneventful 60th for my wife....