Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yakima roof racks

Ive been shopping for a different rack and want to go with a roof mounted system. However my Honda has no factory installed roof rack. So the short version is I am a bit perplexed regarding Q towers, clips, bar width ect. How it attaches to the roof ect ect ect. I know some of you have a Yak in the yard. Just need some clarification on how it all comes together. Thanks in advance ------ going to ride before the 102 degree 80% plus humidity gets here. Enjoy your morning. Lp
    "You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."

- Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The base rack is the base rack for the most part. The thing that changes is the mount to your car. You have to get that specific for each car(or you used to from what I remember). Now after you get the rack on the car, then you have specific mounts for bikes, skis, kayaks, etc.
    Basically that is it in a nutshell.
    I would think Yakima has a guide on their site where you'd put in your specific car and it would tell you which rack and mounts fit.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...S/exercise.png

2012 Specialized Tarmac Elite Rival Mid Compact
    2007 Cannondale Caffeine 29er Lefty. Crank Bros pedals, wireless cateye. Specialized body geometric seat(uh, saddle)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Qtowers are the portion of the unit through which the bars pass. They basically have a soft rubber-like bottom that rests directly on your car roof. Depending on the car model, there are various clips that grip the upper inside of the door frame. I believe the Qtower and clips for most late model Hondas is the same as my late model VW. They work really well and are quite stable. If you go to their site you should be able to find out if they will work on your specific year and model car. http://www.yakima.com/
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss cars made with rain gutters..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a downside to roof racks. I know people who drove into their garage and THEN remembered that their bike was still on the roof rack.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a Yakima roof rack for decades. It started life clipped to the rain gutters of a Fiero, and has since had the towers and cross-bars replaced (though I'm still using the original bike attachment parts) so it would work with gutterless cars. I've had the current version on several Honda Civics and now on an old Saturn wagon. I could probably get it to work on our Accord, but I don't get to drive the nice car so there's little reason to try.

Quote Originally Posted by PatW View Post
    There is a downside to roof racks. I know people who drove into their garage and THEN remembered that their bike was still on the roof rack.
    BTW, I think Yakima makes a device that mounts to the hood of your car by magnets, with a lid that pops up into your low peripheral vision at slow speeds to remind you there's a bike on the roof. I just hide the garage door remote so I can't thoughtlessly reach for it.
    Craig in Indy

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trick I saw in the 41 forum to remember the bike being on the roof rack is to rig a string (good stout string, weather resistant) through a tennis ball. Use enough string length so that the ball hangs down to the top few inches of the windshield when hung from the bicycle's handle bars. There is also a reminder device made but I can't remember what it is called.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    A trick I saw in the 41 forum to remember the bike being on the roof rack is to rig a string (good stout string, weather resistant) through a tennis ball. Use enough string length so that the ball hangs down to the top few inches of the windshield when hung from the bicycle's handle bars. There is also a reminder device made but I can't remember what it is called.

Bill
    Been looking for the link I saw in a recent post about a box that attaches to the hood and when you are driving less than 25 mph, it pops up and warns you of roof cargo....haven't found it yet.

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    Been looking for the link I saw in a recent post about a box that attaches to the hood and when you are driving less than 25 mph, it pops up and warns you of roof cargo....haven't found it yet.
    That's the device I was talking about. Don't remember where I saw it.
    Craig in Indy

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the device I was thinking of. If someone thinks of the product's name please post it or a link here. We are looking at roof racks for our '12 Accord right now. Yakima or Thule most likely.

Bill

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FOUND IT!!!! In fact it was bigbadwullf who posted it...surprised he hasn't chimed in here.

Yakima Load Alert: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=125251

From this post: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/826641-Roof-Rack?p=14381244&viewfull=1#post14381244

It also appears that it may no longer be available though.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check back to reply #2 Mikey. he didn't leave a link but he did chime in.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right qcp...guess I just forgot he commented and I should've written that he hadn't linked to it. But, I'm glad I was able to find the link. Too bad it doesn't appear to be available any longer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
    Ive been shopping for a different rack and want to go with a roof mounted system. However my Honda has no factory installed roof rack. So the short version is I am a bit perplexed regarding Q towers, clips, bar width ect. How it attaches to the roof ect ect ect. I know some of you have a Yak in the yard. Just need some clarification on how it all comes together. Thanks in advance ------ going to ride before the 102 degree 80% plus humidity gets here. Enjoy your morning. Lp
    Go to the Yakima website. They'll talk you through what you need for your car.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yakima system works like this...

The cargo (bikes, skis, etc) are supported by the crossbars.

If you don't have compatible factory crossbars, you buy Yakima crossbars, and Q-towers that support the crossbars a few inches above the roof.

There clips that reach around the edge of the roof and pick up the doorjamb. Latches on the towers pull them up tight.

Works great and is easier to install/remove than you might think. I can install mine in ~5 minutes and remove it in ~3 minutes.

So for your car, you'll need the bike rack, the crossbars, the Q-towers and the clips.

The bad news is this stuff is expensive -- ~$500 nowadays.

Moving a single rack system (Q-towers, crossbars etc) is not feasible since different clip models are required to fit all the different door jamb shapes. And changing the clips is not trivial; probably more time than you would be willing to expend very often.

Make sense?

I've had mine for 10+ years and it is bulletproof. I like the fork-mounted bike racks; others like some of the other varieties. It's all good!

-Tom in SoCal