Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NPR's Morning Edition brings you PIE WEEK!

Next week (July 2-7) on Morning Edition they will be doing stories every day on various pies. Since pie is the official reward for a ride well ridden in our group, I thought this would be interesting for our members.

Here is a link to the preview page for the series. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thisisnpr/2...s-up-at-npr-hq

One of the pies they list is Banoffi pie with which I am not familiar. Maybe Stapfam or some other resident Brit can clue us in on this Toffee pie. Sounds like a good flavor combination!

Check with your local NPR affiliate for broadcast times for morning edition or the stories should be available on the web at the NPR site.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're on a food jag. This week was "Meat Week." Maybe the coming weekend will be "Meat Pie Weekend" as a transitional period.

Craig in Indy

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking forward to the programs about pie, the meat series was pretty informative for me. Member of WUWF here.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I am looking forward to the programs about pie, the meat series was pretty informative for me. Member of WUWF here.

Bill
    Bill,
    Good to hear that you are a member. I have been a member of local station KMUW for a couple of decades. It's about the only station I listen to.

I only heard bits and pieces of the meat series this week and am planning on finding these stories on the website so I can listen to them this afternoon after Talk of the Nation-Science Friday.

My Bikes
    1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of posting that here the first time I heard it this morning, during the end of the last part of "Meat week". I think they should do a smooth transition by starting off with meat pies...

Poor Lonesome George...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat' by Charlie Mingus will go in any segue's ?

for the non Jazzers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodbye_Pork_Pie_Hat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    One of the pies they list is Banoffi pie with which I am not familiar. Maybe Stapfam or some other resident Brit can clue us in on this Toffee pie. Sounds like a good flavor combination!
    I had two individual ones only yesterday - Mmmmm.

Consists of a blind-baked short-crust flan case, toffee'd creme boulangere, sliced bananas, drizzled with toffee sauce, topped with whipped cream and chocolate flakes. Tastes better than described, too!

Here's a cheat's recipe for you to DIY

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As described, it sounds pretty good! So that means it tastes even better than that?

Oh, and that recipe will need some English to American translation, like "graham crackers" for "biscuits"
    Last edited by David Bierbaum; 06-30-12 at 07:00 AM.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Banoffi pie sounds really good, thanks for the recipe AFE. I want to try that one soon.

Bill

My Bikes
    Enough bikes for today
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only had Banoffi pie once in my eight years in sunny old England... not commonly on menus, I recall. Not a bad pie. Thanks for the timely tip!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AmFaeEmbra View Post
    I had two individual ones only yesterday - Mmmmm.

Consists of a blind-baked short-crust flan case, toffee'd creme boulangere, sliced bananas, drizzled with toffee sauce, topped with whipped cream and chocolate flakes. Tastes better than described, too!

Here's a cheat's recipe for you to DIY
    Wow! That sound fantastic!!! I will keep an eye out for that one. Of course it may lose something crossing the pond. Thanks for the recipe.

My Bikes
    2011 BMC SR02, 2010 Fuji Cross Comp, 1996 Specialized HardRock
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda off-topic, but does beer count as a pie-equivalent? Can't find good merengue pies in this part of the country. Lots of berry and apple, and all them cream pies that me and Bill Cosby could make but that aren't really PIE.
    2011 BMC SR02; 2010 Fuji Cross Comp; n+1 on hold today, due to college tuition and a wedding. Some day, some where, over the rainbow, I will get that 29er....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    Oh, and that recipe will need some English to American translation, like "graham crackers" for "biscuits"
    Now discovered that Digestive Biscuits are the equivalent of your Graham Crackers.

The Cheat's Recipe was just that - a shortcut method. The base in the video is usually what we use for the base of cheesecake over here - I think the shortcrust pastry base is nicer, but I'm sure some of you could try making both versions :o)

Quote Originally Posted by david58 View Post
    Kinda off-topic, but does beer count as a pie-equivalent?
    Beer has calories - so beer definitely counts! Just depends on how much you have and how far from home you are . . .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they're not really the same. It's just that graham crackers are about as close as we'll get to digestive biscuits here, since they're more brittle and a little drier, according to my google-fu...

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to talk to a member of the Supreme Council or the Council of Elders about what constitutes a PIE. Most creme pies are accepted here and many enjoy them. If push comes to shove get a frozen fruit pie from the grocery store and heat that baby up in the oven. the beer argument has come up before and most agree that a cold beer after a ride is a great thing, especially this time of the year.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-30-12 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the beer argument has come up before and most agree that a cold beer after a ride is a great thing, especially this time of the year.
    Well, here's a dilemma for you . . . At the end of August, I'm signed up for a charity 50-miler which starts and ends at the local masonic club. By the time we get back the bar will be open - but they don't serve pie.

What do I do - have a nice cold beer (which has calories - so that counts!) or go in search of pie, leaving my friends at the bar.

Decisions, decisions, but I'm strangely drawn to the option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do I do - have a nice cold beer (which has calories - so that counts!) or go in search of pie, leaving my friends at the bar.

Decisions, decisions, but I'm strangely drawn to the option.
    Enjoy your beer with our blessing! It is not pie but is a suitable reward for a good ride. BTW do the Scots favor their beer warm like the English? Usually in August I like my beer pretty frosty, but then Kansas has a climate much closer to Spain than Scotland.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW do the Scots favor their beer warm like the English? Usually in August I like my beer pretty frosty, but then Kansas has a climate much closer to Spain than Scotland.

Cheers!
    Now we start talking semantics! We have beer in many shades of brown, and we have lager in many shades of urine sample.

Beer shouldn't be too cold as you need to savour the flavour, but warm doesn't do it for me. Lagers, however, are designed to be drunk cold and thrown against the back of the throat because they are thirst quenchers and mostly taste the same.

I've tried chili beer, which is what we'd call bottled lager, but which has a chili in the bottle. I first saw this being ordered by a friend who, on finishing the lager, tipped out the chili and started chewing it. Now I was expecting him to start going slightly red in the face, but the fire from the chili is gradually transferred to the lager during the time between being bottled and opened. So the chili kick is in the drink, and chewing the chili is for show - great effect though!

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never, ever ask a fellow Scotsman to forgo a pint after a ride. Maybe even two pints if I was with you! And that evening we could kill a nice single malt Scotch and swap riding stories. One has to keep their perspective about things, you know.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never, ever ask a fellow Scotsman to forgo a pint after a ride. Maybe even two pints if I was with you! And that evening we could kill a nice single malt Scotch and swap riding stories. One has to keep their perspective about things, you know.

Bill
    Excellent idea. But more details of your Scottish side please - how come you ended up in Florida?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
    I was thinking of posting that here the first time I heard it this morning, during the end of the last part of "Meat week". I think they should do a smooth transition by starting off with meat pies...

Poor Lonesome George...
    I think the Cornish Pasty would be a good choice here . I believe it is a UN World Heritage Food or something . Sheperd's Pie always good at the Pub . My wife won't make it , as she hates peas .
    Happy Pie Week !

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we were a few days early for Pie Week, but a few of my 50+ friends from the club (and a couple of 40+ youngsters) took a ride to a diner in a nearby town for pie yesterday. I opted for the lemon pie while some of the others took the only other option of the day, pecan pie.
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/745295

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent idea. But more details of your Scottish side please - how come you ended up in Florida?
    AFE,
    My family geneaology has my Scottish heritage listed, I can't remember everything. I do remember that the ancestor that crossed to America was named Argyle Taylor and I had a service look up my family tartan. I have a tie in the pattern. Born and raised in Florida, just proud of my Scottish heritage and study Scotland and England for their history and my roots. Also a member of The Brotherhood of St. Andrew at our Episcopal church. where are you located in Scotland, if I might ask?

All,
    The Pie Week shows so far were pretty interesting. Never realised that the Apple Pie we know now was pretty well set in its recipe by the 15th century, IIRC. Now know the meaning behind "Four and Twenty Blackbirds...." in the poem.

Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we now know how to make a crust and the history of pie. Now I want some mouthwatering descriptions of something I would want to sink my teeth into.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we now know how to make a crust and the history of pie. Now I want some mouthwatering descriptions of something I would want to sink my teeth into.
    Well, there's this, also from NPR.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast