Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-12, 06:28 PM   #1
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First Build N+1

Just put the finishing touches on my first build. Must admit I had some help from a great mechanic at the LBS. I learned alot through the process and in time will certainly build another.
Maiden voyage will take place tomorrow, probably a modest 15 miles to see how she performs.

Anyway here are some pics including the obligatory picture in front of the garage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/etimoth...ODD-pjc5Lq5bg#
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 07:21 PM   #2
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Nice looking bike Tim, but all of the garage door pics are backwards. Supposed to be drive side out & on the big ring. Looking forward to the first ride and pie report tomorrow.

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 07:29 PM   #3
Timtruro

Will have to correct that tomorrow, thx
Old 06-29-12, 07:34 PM   #4
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC

Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
It was meant in jest Tim, should have used some smilies. Sorry 'bout that. Still a nice bike, too!

Bill
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 07:54 PM   #5
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Nice looking bike Tim, but all of the garage door pics are backwards. Supposed to be drive side out & on the big ring. Looking forward to the first ride and pie report tomorrow.

Bill
+1
And don't forget that the crank arms should be level with the right arm forward.

Nice looking build. Looking forward to the first ride report.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 11:26 PM   #6
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't have to use a Garage door- It could be in the lounge or the bedroom if you could lose the wife for a day or so.

And all that building without a ride report shows a lack of enthusiasm for the bike. Must have taken 10 minutes to load those pics on Picasa- which could have have spent on a 5 mile ride to check it out.

Or 6 miles if it is as good as it looks.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 06:26 AM   #7
Timtruro

I did ride around the neighborhood a little during the build just to check brakes/shifting etc. But I don't credit that as a 'ride'. Even today, maybe 14 or 15 due to a wedding later. Wife would rather i didn't ride at all due to that. If it weren't for maybe hurting the bike, a small accident might let me avoid the wedding all together. Family commitment, barely know the groom and the bride not at all. I suggested just sending a check but you can guess where that got me.

Then I must spend a lot of time getting the garage pic right. Direction of the bike, position of the crank? I hope they have pie at the wedding!

Excited to ride the new bike anyway. Had a 'base fit' done at the LBS and I think it is really going to be comfortable.
Old 06-30-12, 06:30 AM   #8
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Nice build, Tim. The honey colored Brooks saddle and matching handlebar tape is a great look.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 06:34 AM   #9
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Very Nice and smooth looking.

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 06:42 AM   #10
Timtruro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
Nice build, Tim. The honey colored Brooks saddle and matching handlebar tape is a great look.
Thanks, I had the Brooks saddle on another bike and decided to save some $$ by using it on the Casseroll. But then to get the match I spent a bit on the Brooks bar tape. I think it was worth it. The leather bar tape appears to be strong, comfortable and durable.
Old 06-30-12, 06:57 AM   #11
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Colnago Nuova Mexico, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Gavia, Schwinn Paramount, Motobecane Grand Record, Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Origin8 monstercross, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
Thanks, I had the Brooks saddle on another bike and decided to save some $$ by using it on the Casseroll. But then to get the match I spent a bit on the Brooks bar tape. I think it was worth it. The leather bar tape appears to be strong, comfortable and durable.
I have a 40 year old Brooks Pro on my Soma Double Cross. It was first used on a new bike I owned as a teenager. They seem to get better with time.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Barrettscv is offline   Reply With Quote