Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First Ride and Garage Pics

    The first ride was 14 miles along the Cape Cod Canal. 88 degrees and a nice breeze, not humid.

    The bike rode comfortably and shifted well, although it was a flat ride so not much shifting going on. Also a couple of corrected garage pics showing the drive train and with the cranks parallel to arms.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/etimoth...KnK_6qTtYvrdg#
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mort Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very handsome looking bike! Bonus points for going with a leather seat. Is that a Brooks Pro. or a B17 or something else?
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

  3. #3
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    Very handsome looking bike! Bonus points for going with a leather seat. Is that a Brooks Pro. or a B17 or something else?
    It's a Brooks B17. Nice saddle.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  4. #4
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,005
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to go wrong w/ a Brooks.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  5. #5
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one very nice looking bike. The Brooks B-17 saddle really makes the build for me. I have one on my R500, in black. Very well done Tim.

    Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-01-12 at 12:47 PM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  6. #6
    Senior Member Texasplumr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Austin, Tx.
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Misceo
    Posts
    73
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    The first ride was 14 miles along the Cape Cod Canal. 88 degrees and a nice breeze, not humid.

    The bike rode comfortably and shifted well, although it was a flat ride so not much shifting going on. Also a couple of corrected garage pics showing the drive train and with the cranks parallel to arms.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/etimoth...KnK_6qTtYvrdg#
    I'd like your impression of the bike after you have ridden it a while if you don't mind.
    Im thinking I want to upgrade in the fall and I just found a local dealer who carries these. So I added the Salsa to my very short list. People who own them seem to be happy with them. I'm looking at touring platforms primarily for the comfort and dependability. I don't fancy myself as a racer.
    Thanks!
    Russ Lane
    ATX
    "I'm old and I'm slow"

  7. #7
    Dirt Bomb sknhgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,588
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that front rack. What kind is it?
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Malvern, Pa.
    My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Posts
    434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like your impression of the bike after you have ridden it a while if you don't mind.
    I second that motion! Please provide us with a detailed ride report after you have ridden the bike enough to be able to review it in depth. Last year, when I was buying my first bike, I was intrigued by the Casseroll, but didn't have enough information to make a buying decision.

    You did a great job on your build. It is a very attractive bike!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I like that front rack. What kind is it?
    The rack is included with the frame, or with the completed bike if you purchase it that way. It is color matched to the Casseroll frame which is vintage blue. Thinking about a rear rack in the future but that will probably be silver or black unless I can find some way to match the blue paint, don't think that will be possible.

    I will certainly keep you folks posted on what I think of the bike as I pile on some mileage. Bear in mind that the drive train etc is different than if you were to purchase the complete bike from a Salsa dealer. The complete bike is a steal IMHO at $1200.
    Last edited by Timtruro; 06-30-12 at 09:37 PM. Reason: wanted to add a comment.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  10. #10
    Senior Member GFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike!!

    The Cape Cod Canal looks like an interesting and very scenic place to ride.

    The LBS is starting to stock more Salsa bikes. I'm lusting after a Vaya to ride gravel roads in the hills.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bikey Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Newport News, VA USA
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Posts
    3,215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    The rack is included with the frame, or with the completed bike if you purchase it that way. It is color matched to the Casseroll frame which is vintage blue. Thinking about a rear rack in the future but that will probably be silver or black unless I can find some way to match the blue paint, don't think that will be possible.

    I will certainly keep you folks posted on what I think of the bike as I pile on some mileage. Bear in mind that the drive train etc is different than if you were to purchase the complete bike from a Salsa dealer. The complete bike is a steal IMHO at $1200.
    I bet a car paint shop could make the rear rack match the bike...a bit of money though.

  12. #12
    Senior Member gear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    North shore of Mass.
    Posts
    2,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking bike!

    I love riding the C.C.Canal. I wish I could do it daily.

  13. #13
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,
    An Expansion on Mikey's reply, if you wanted to match a rear rack to the frame and front rack could you ask Salsa about sending it to them for painting with the correct paint? Might be expensive, I haven't dealt with Salsa but their frames and bikes are extremely reasonably priced. Just a thought.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  14. #14
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Tim,
    An Expansion on Mikey's reply, if you wanted to match a rear rack to the frame and front rack could you ask Salsa about sending it to them for painting with the correct paint? Might be expensive, I haven't dealt with Salsa but their frames and bikes are extremely reasonably priced. Just a thought.

    Bill
    Salsa has a live chat feature, I can ask but I suspect it will be expensive if they agree, maybe if I buy the rack from them?? Worst case they say no, or I do.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  15. #15
    What??? Only 2 wheels? jimmuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Boston-ish, MA
    My Bikes
    '73 Raleigh Carlton Gran Sport, '72 Peugeot UO-8, '82 Peugeot TH8, '87 Bianchi Brava, '76? Masi Grand Criterium, '72 Bertin C32, '87 Centurion Ironman Expert, '74 Motobecane Champion Team, and lots of uncertainty on some
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done. Now pick up the Cape Cod Rail Trail (CCRT) in Wellfleet and ride it down to Orleans for something yummy to drink at the Chocolate Sparrow. Then do it again and ride it all the way to Dennis and back! And when you get to the bike rotary in Harwich (I think it is) take a short trip east to Chatham. You can generate 50 miles real easy that way!
    Real cyclists use toe clips.
    jimmuller

  16. #16
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmuller View Post
    Well done. Now pick up the Cape Cod Rail Trail (CCRT) in Wellfleet and ride it down to Orleans for something yummy to drink at the Chocolate Sparrow. Then do it again and ride it all the way to Dennis and back! And when you get to the bike rotary in Harwich (I think it is) take a short trip east to Chatham. You can generate 50 miles real easy that way!

    I ride the rail trail often, I am in N. Truro and sometimes do the trip from the Eastham Visitors Center to Dennis and back, about 33 miles. Once so far I have done the entire trip from Wellfleet to Dennis and back, 44 miles without doing the Chatham spur. Lovely ride mid week, a little hairy on the weekends now. Also the trails through the Provincetown dunes gives you a little hill work along with great scenery and beaches at herring Cove and Race Point.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

  17. #17
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful bike, I love the saddle and matching bar tape.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  18. #18
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,751
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salsa probably can't paint your rack, as their bikes are built to spec in Taiwan, but they may be able to help you find matching paint. Couldn't hurt to ask. Salsa reps often respond to this subforum at MTBR forums.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  19. #19
    Senior Member TomD77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the leather (or good simulation) bar wrap. That works well with the saddle but is nice in isolation.

  20. #20
    Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Posts
    6,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Salsa probably can't paint your rack, as their bikes are built to spec in Taiwan, but they may be able to help you find matching paint. Couldn't hurt to ask. Salsa reps often respond to this subforum at MTBR forums.
    I hoped you would reply, I don't know enough about their ops to say but I figured you would know having gotten your Cassaroll built.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  21. #21
    Senior Member Timtruro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Truro, MA
    My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Posts
    1,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD77 View Post
    I really like the leather (or good simulation) bar wrap. That works well with the saddle but is nice in isolation.
    I sprung for the Brooks leather tape. Pricey but should last a while.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

    '12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •