Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Traveling to State College - suggested rides?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 01:22 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It looks like I'll be able to take my bike with me when we go visit my MIL in State College, PA, soon. I'm planning on quizzing the local shops for routes, but thought I'd ask here, too. Anyone have a suggestion or two?
Old 07-02-12, 03:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Not related to State College but just noticed the terrific job on weight loss. Also, have you ever done or considered doing RAIN? The only time I did it was under perfect conditions---cooler temps with a slight helping breeze. It was a long drive but enjoyed doing something without tons of hills.
Old 07-02-12, 04:07 PM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Not related to State College but just noticed the terrific job on weight loss. Also, have you ever done or considered doing RAIN? The only time I did it was under perfect conditions---cooler temps with a slight helping breeze. It was a long drive but enjoyed doing something without tons of hills.
Thanks. I'm now at the struggling point of the weight-loss journey. I'm having a hard time maintaining the focus that got me here so I can continue with the last 30 or so I need to lose, and the margin for error is now pretty tiny when it comes to daily calories. It's so easy to trip up. But that's OK, I'll get there.

The people in one of the two clubs I belong to have been trying to talk me into RAIN, but they're the same group that do sub-4-hour centuries for Tour de Cure. They make an all-out assault on RAIN to complete it in as close to 6 hours as they can. That's not a group I can keep up with under any circumstances. Plus I know I'd bail once I got back to Indy. ("Whaddaya mean, I've got another 70 miles to go? I don't think so.")
Old 07-02-12, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I spent three days in State College the 3rd week of June. There is lots of great riding in the area. I stopped in at the Bicycle Shop https://www.thebicycleshopinc.com/00_...ocalriding.htm and asked about good local routes. They were most helpful. I don't keep track of routes. So, I can't help much with that, but ask about riding to Lewisburg from State College. The route they suggested was tremendous. It was about 112 miles there and back.
Old 07-02-12, 04:21 PM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
The route they suggested was tremendous. It was about 112 miles there and back.
>cough!<

I'm good for 60-75 miles around these here (read: flat) parts. But I know the State College area, and I'm guessing a good 30-40 miles with their attendant hills will tucker me out just fine. But thanks for the shop tip. I did some interwebbing and found them, plus a couple of others that I plan to pester (Eddie's and Freeze-Thaw Cycles, plus RBR for the heck of it).
Old 07-02-12, 07:10 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
actually, the ride to Lewisburg should be fairly flat. The problem is you are likely to have a headwind on the way back.
Old 07-02-12, 08:57 PM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
actually, the ride to Lewisburg should be fairly flat. The problem is you are likely to have a headwind on the way back.
I realized that when I saw what direction it was.
Old 07-03-12, 08:22 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
our situation isn't particularly ideal for easy rides. If you go southwest, you usually have a tailwind on the return, but the general slope is uphill. If you go northeast, you have headwinds on the return. Go west and you are climbing, you can only go so far east before the only route is closed to cyclists. Maybe that's why this area is a hotbed of mountain biking.
Old 07-03-12, 10:27 AM
Starting over

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
our situation isn't particularly ideal for easy rides. If you go southwest, you usually have a tailwind on the return, but the general slope is uphill. If you go northeast, you have headwinds on the return. Go west and you are climbing, you can only go so far east before the only route is closed to cyclists. Maybe that's why this area is a hotbed of mountain biking.
Is that the one up to Laurel Creek Reservoir? I saw that road on Google Maps and wondered why it wouldn't give me a bike route in that direction.