Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    ????
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok folks I did a dumb thing the other day and went for a short ride. the problem was that the weather was very foggy almost to a light drizzle. everything was fine for a while but, of course i was a little wet..
    all of a sudden on a good part of the road bam flat tire. I've heard stories from other riders that to ride in the rain or wet conditions increases the probablity for flats tires. I figured i'd take a chance. well i lost so after i changed the tube, i had an extra, i set out back home and almost made it to the house but got another flat on the other wheel a couple of feet from the house. Is that asking for it or what. Two flats in less than an hour. did any of you guys have any bad days like this. I did enjoy the ride except for being soaking wet. Duh~~~~~~

coach77

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Coach477.

I can't imagine that moistue contributes to the liklihood of flats. Of course reduced visibility might. They weren't by chance pinch flats were they?
    Just Peddlin' Around

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    Hi Coach477.

I can't imagine that moistue contributes to the liklihood of flats. Of course reduced visibility might. They weren't by chance pinch flats were they?
    Of course it does. Small rocks and grit stick to the wet tire for several revolutions and become embedded in the tire and eventually penetrate the casing.
    Dennis T

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    Hi Coach477.

Actually, what happens is that the water lubricates the rubber of the tyre, making it easier for shards of glass, michelin wires and other debris to slice through the casing and into the tube. Have doubts? Try slicing an old tube with a sharp knife on a flat surface. The cutting edge of the knife will "drag" across the rubber; wet the knife and see that baby do its stuff.

What am I doing here?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    Actually, what happens is that the water lubricates the rubber of the tyre, making it easier for shards of glass, michelin wires and other debris to slice through the casing and into the tube. Have doubts? Try slicing an old tube with a sharp knife on a flat surface. The cutting edge of the knife will "drag" across the rubber; wet the knife and see that baby do its stuff.

What am I doing here?
    Thanks, I knew there was something about cutting "wet" rubber but couldn't remember the specifics so left that part out of my reply. Thanks.

-Dennis
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The theory--don't know if it's ever been tested--is that water lubricates things so a thorn or whatever that might have been stopped or broken off in the rubber slips through more easily and reaches the tube. I doubt it would have much effect on a thick car tire, but bike tires are so thin it wouldn't take much to increase the chance of flats.
    As for actual numbers, my record is six on one century (the road was lined with thorny brush and it had been windy, so there were twigs everywhere) and NINE on my 22-mile round trip commute to work, from running over a shattered six-pack and picking up glass shards in both tires.

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anecdotal evidence,

Last year had only two flats all year. Both on a new Armadillo. Both in the rain. Both on the same wet ugly day.

Tyson

My Bikes
    Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm breaking my self-imposed rule here, but what the heck does this have to do with 50+? If you were 49 or younger this wouldn't have happened?

To quote Rowan, " What am I doing here?"
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...'holy *****...what a ride!'"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you see Steve, I'm working on a strategy here (but don't tell DnvrFox or he will slaughter me).

I'm only 49, and I figure if we get enough under-50s posting here, we can start calling it the 40+ forum. Hijack it, sort of. Clean it up a bit. Give it a new polish. A bit of marketing glitz!

Nah, Dnvr, I'm only joking. I just come to visit occasionally to make sure the walking sticks aren't clashing too much!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE
    I'm breaking my self-imposed rule here, but what the heck does this have to do with 50+? If you were 49 or younger this wouldn't have happened?

To quote Rowan, " What am I doing here?"
    Well you see Steve, I'm working on a strategy here (but don't tell DnvrFox or he will slaughter me).

I'm only 49, and I figure if we get enough under-50s posting here, we can start calling it the 40+ forum. Hijack it, sort of. Clean it up a bit. Give it a new polish. A bit of marketing glitz!

Nah, Dnvr, I'm only joking. I just come to visit occasionally to make sure the walking sticks aren't clashing too much!
    I caught you both!

For shame.

Only 50+rs get flats in the rain. Everyone knows that!

And, Rowan, start your own darn forum!

(Incidentally, I don't even read the road bike forum any more. It seems as if every other post is by or about 53-11 Alltheway, and every 3rd post is by or about Merton. I got tired of reading all of that, and have retreated to my sanctuary!)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-11-05 at 10:24 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I caught you both!

For shame.

Only 50+rs get flats in the rain. Everyone knows that!

And, Rowan, start your own darn forum!

(Incidentally, I don't even read the road bike forum any more. It seems as if every other post is by or about 53-11 Alltheway, and every 3rd post is by or about Merton. I got tired of reading all of that, and have retreated to my sanctuary!)
    Oi!!! What about the Aussies -- they post more than every other forum put together. Only the How Was Your Commute Today forum gets more than The Aussie Thread. I reckon that's the Forum I should start: The Official Aussie Forum. Yeah, great idea!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oi!!! What about the Aussies -- they post more than every other forum put together. Only the How Was Your Commute Today forum gets more than The Aussie Thread. I reckon that's the Forum I should start: The Official Aussie Forum. Yeah, great idea!
    As the Aussies seem to speak some other language than standard English, I am unable to translate so I don't have a clue what you discuss in that verbose collection of meaningless puffery!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many years ago, I did a charity ride with 24 others. When we unloaded the bikes, one of them had a flat tyre. No problem as the owner had a spare tube. Pumped it up but within a minute, flat again. No problem got another tube, but the same happened. 4 tubes later it transpired that the owner of the bike had bought some cheap tubes mail order. in fact they were so cheap he bought 20 of them. Every one was porous. Not holes or punctures. The tubes would have made better sieves than something to hold air.

My Bikes
    Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog
    The theory--don't know if it's ever been tested--is that water lubricates things so a thorn or whatever that might have been stopped or broken off in the rubber slips through more easily and reaches the tube. I doubt it would have much effect on a thick car tire, but bike tires are so thin it wouldn't take much to increase the chance of flats.
    As for actual numbers, my record is six on one century (the road was lined with thorny brush and it had been windy, so there were twigs everywhere) and NINE on my 22-mile round trip commute to work, from running over a shattered six-pack and picking up glass shards in both tires.

I’m a builder (high end residential general contractor) … if you open up my truck tires you would be surprised at how many nails screws and the like are penetrating any tire at one time. When it rains … watch out …. the water lubes the penetration and the tire goes flat. Most people in my area of work know this and actually plan for a flat in the rainy weather. We carry “fix a flat” or spare air with us.

On my bike, every flat that I have had, I believe has been when it is raining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    As the Aussies seem to speak some other language than standard English...
    Oh boy, from a Yank.....

old, fat, lazy wannabe plain.jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's off-topic to the way the thread is going... but yeah, I had a day like that. Two flats in about eight miles (I'm newly returning to riding, and didn't know that I had to feel the tire to remove the sharp that caused the flat). A passing friendly cyclist gave me a tube. Got home, and put another tube in, and an hour later, that one was flat. Put in another tube, and later my wife heard a POP and THAT one went flat, too... because I ALSO didn't know I was supposed to puch the valve into the tire to make sure the tube rubber surrounding the valve didn't get pinched between the tire bead and the rim.

There are probably other ways of putting a tube on wrong, and when I find 'em, I'll report in!