User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Holland Exogrid
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the comments, advice, and product suggestions. Talked with the spouse and so far she has ruled out pedals such as the Drilliums that have the projecting pins ... she seems to prefer a more flat platform pedal, but the Ergon Pc2 also has her interested. She has some basic pedals that came with her bike and we are riding in the morning to just get her used to the new bike and then we will start to narrow the pedal choices based on her preferences and needs .... THANKS for all of the comments

My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorites for riding in street shoes with toe clips are the Lyotard mod. 23 "Berthet:"

And the Campagnolo "Triomphe:"

Unfortunately, both have been out of production for some time now.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toe cages on my commuter (because of different shoes) and multi-function (platform on one side and SPD on other) on everything else. I think you ultimately become less concerned about getting out of the pedals than you do about accidentally slipping off them at a bad time. I feel the absolute safest when clipped into my SPDs. I ride SPD sandals almost all the time.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    That's the way I roll.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use bmx style pedals from walmart. I ride about 150-180 miles per week, nothing longer than 65 mile outings. I don't feel deprived by the pedals.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Those bmx pedals with pins will tear up the soles of your shoes.
    No, they will not damage your shoes.

All that is required is set your foot when you first touch the pedal then don't move your feet.

Easy to do and very comfortable if done right
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metalheart44 View Post
    Thanks for all of the comments, advice, and product suggestions. Talked with the spouse and so far she has ruled out pedals such as the Drilliums that have the projecting pins ... she seems to prefer a more flat platform pedal, but the Ergon Pc2 also has her interested. She has some basic pedals that came with her bike and we are riding in the morning to just get her used to the new bike and then we will start to narrow the pedal choices based on her preferences and needs .... THANKS for all of the comments
    These old school platforms are as rider friendly as they come. Here is an example of that type pedal. (I use pedals just like these)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-ROAD...#ht_911wt_1165

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

Nightshade -

You go 30 mph on your Worksman? WOW!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

All that is required is set your foot when you first touch the pedal then don't move your feet.

Yep, with a pair of Vans or heavily lugged soles like work boots, yer feet stay put. I can even do one leg drills in Vans. It's easier to wreck shoes with clips n straps than by running BMX platforms.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    My wife rides flats. She refuses to try clipless. I set her up with these and she's ridden thousands of miles on them very happily:

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe3.htm
    I tried these and had to return them, because I felt hot spots along the two ridges. I found that I had to use very stiff soles to use them.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have pedals with pins on two of my bikes and have never noticed any damage to my shoes. As to not moving your feet, I've found that is almost impossible unless you pick your feet up off of the pedal to move them. I suppose one could be injured by the pins, but in 4 years of using them, that has never happened to me.

I had a much more difficult time of keeping my feet in the optimal position on the platforms without pins, particularly on the ones with just two smooth rails. My feet kept sliding on those. They never budge on the ones with pins. They feel stuck to the pedal until I lift them off.

I wouldn't mind trying those Ergon PC2s.

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I don't like those MKS Touring pedals either. Way too much PSI on those two rails. I got some of these since they kinda reminded me of some old Sakae pedals I had. The body design provides a lot more support for the bits of your foot that aren't on the rails. And they're only $18. Wellgo 908

Fairly narrow so may not work well for D-width and up shoes. I actually found them a tad narrow for my foot, so bent the outer tab with the strap slot outwards to make the rear cages wider.

Reckon I should mention I'd never ride these without clips n straps.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-03-12 at 05:15 PM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey View Post
    I use platforms and toe clips.
    The only way to go!!!!!!!
    Bud

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wish list

Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    I have been using the Ergon PC2 pedals all winter .
    Wearing rubber boots sandals and whatever shoe I need.

the contour shape does a fine 'locating foot where it should be' job.
    Just, added these to my amazon wishlist. They may help me get to the top of some of our hills, finding my foot slipping when incline steep and I just have the standard issue Giant Cypress pedals

Don from Austin Texas
    My Bikes
    Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I always wanted to try these. The reviews are always positive.
    http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Lambda-Ped...ef=pd_sbs_sg_6
    And here is another positive review. I have these on three bikes and they are great. I have twice pedaled an "uirban century" + a 15 miles ride the same evening on platform pedals and steel toe work boots. OF course, at age 66 I am not the fastest, but I have more than once cruised past young guys in full gear, clipless, etc., walking their bikes up a steep hill. More power to my partners who ride cleated in, but I choose not to.

Don in Austin

My Bikes
    Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use pinned bmx pedals on all my bikes. With a good pair of shoes they stick like glue and you get a lot of the advantages of clipless (save the very top of the cycle). Most of the 'serious' riders here use clipless and I never have any problems keeping up with or passing them. I feel no need to be attached to the bike as they do a great job of keeping my feet where they need to be and I can disengage simply by lifting my foot off. I've never had any problems with the pins either - just have to be aware of them.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like these on my touring bike. 20055_1_.jpg They're Sylvan MKS. I only take one pair of shoes on tour to save weight, and I want them to be comfortable for walking, and light, so I get lightweight running shoes and use these pedals.

On my road bike I have Shimano mountain clipless pedals. I like them a lot, but I don't like walking very far in the shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Nightshade -

You go 30 mph on your Worksman? WOW!!
    Denver, really now! What you quoted was "Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?" "

Now what does that have to do with a Worksman bike?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver, really now! What you quoted was "Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?" "

Now what does that have to do with a Worksman bike?
    I just sort of assumed that you had experienced (likely on your current bike- but perhaps it was another bike from years past) what you were writing in your signature. Guess not!!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't always ride on flat pedals, but when I do, I prefer cage pedals.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I had a bike with quill pedals for a while, with a more pronounced "nib" on it than those Sylvans. If I woulda had to ride that bike one more day I woulda busted out the angle grinder on that thing.

I like to wear running shoes alot and they're usually too wide up front to fit between nib and crank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I just sort of assumed that you had experienced (likely on your current bike- but perhaps it was another bike from years past) what you were writing in your signature. Guess not!!
    No worries, mate. My sig line is a quote from "Originally Posted by krazygluon".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GR-9s, clips, straps and mtb shoes.

One nice thing is if you end up having to walk, you can walk.

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son, as fast as he is, will not use clipless type or even quills with clips and straps. Drives me crazy, he likes the flat plastic platform BMX knock offs and refuses to change. I offered to buy him "ANY" pedal and clips or the best Quills and clips he wanted, no dice. And he still drops me like a lead balloon in a down draft.

Bill
    Last edited by qcpmsame; 07-06-12 at 07:03 PM.
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't ride a road bike anymore, but I put these "Black Ops Rip N Grip" pedals on my "hybrid." Excellent grip, I mean your foot will not come off(!), and perfect for my needs.

Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast