Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the Yanks turn!

Not long ago we were awash with the Birthday of the Queen of England, a respectful day at the very least. But today is a national Holiday for the US, Independence Day and the birthday of our nation. I just love the 4th of July, flags flying everywhere, Bar-B-Ques from Coast to Coast and Apple pie. I did a half century ride this morning, had coffee and pie with friends and got home in time to see the old movie, Yankee Doodle Dandy. I even had a hot dog for lunch.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, July 4 isn't the proper birthday for the United States of America, although the Declaration of Independence is well worth a celebration. The United States wasn't born until the various united states realized the folly of the Articles of Confederation.

I'm still trying to figure out why we blow things up to celebrate.

My Bikes
    91 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    Actually, July 4 isn't the proper birthday for the United States of America, although the Declaration of Independence is well worth a celebration. The United States wasn't born until the various united states realized the folly of the Articles of Confederation.

That is easy, Jefferson made some speach indicating that is what we should do so it is simply tradition. It is just the day we decided to celebrate it, like Christmas is just a day they picked. But I also like the fact that it is one day we can fly our flag with pride. Those of us that were in the Military still get a bit of a lump when we see the flag. I imagine it must be pretty much the same for Israel and 1947. I simply love it.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving. ~Albert Einstein.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
    That's how we got here.