Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-12, 06:13 PM   #1
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
It is the Yanks turn!

Not long ago we were awash with the Birthday of the Queen of England, a respectful day at the very least. But today is a national Holiday for the US, Independence Day and the birthday of our nation. I just love the 4th of July, flags flying everywhere, Bar-B-Ques from Coast to Coast and Apple pie. I did a half century ride this morning, had coffee and pie with friends and got home in time to see the old movie, Yankee Doodle Dandy. I even had a hot dog for lunch.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 06:21 PM   #2
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Actually, July 4 isn't the proper birthday for the United States of America, although the Declaration of Independence is well worth a celebration. The United States wasn't born until the various united states realized the folly of the Articles of Confederation.

I'm still trying to figure out why we blow things up to celebrate.
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 06:50 PM   #3
Mobile 155

Bikes: 72-76 Peugeot, 89 Klein Quantum Road Bike,2011 CF Specialized Tarmac road bike. 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
Actually, July 4 isn't the proper birthday for the United States of America, although the Declaration of Independence is well worth a celebration. The United States wasn't born until the various united states realized the folly of the Articles of Confederation.

That is easy, Jefferson made some speach indicating that is what we should do so it is simply tradition. It is just the day we decided to celebrate it, like Christmas is just a day they picked. But I also like the fact that it is one day we can fly our flag with pride. Those of us that were in the Military still get a bit of a lump when we see the flag. I imagine it must be pretty much the same for Israel and 1947. I simply love it.
Mobile 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-12, 08:55 PM   #4
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Carfree View Post
That's how we got here.
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote