Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Strava Embellishments (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/830148-strava-embellishments.html)

OldsCOOL 07-05-12 09:41 PM

Strava Embellishments
 
I rode one of my favorite, personal segments tonight and when checking my Dashboard to see how the data of the ride settled out there was a piece of info that caught my attention....the maximum speed of the ride was 54mph.

Now that's laughable. :lol:

DGlenday 07-05-12 10:51 PM

What do you think your max was?

Strava recently showed me doing a max of well over 50-mph http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506

The detailed breakdown of showed 2 brief spikes of 55 and 53 mph. I laughed at how ridiculous that reading was, and went checked by bike's on-board computer. Turns out Strava was right, and the bike computer showed a max of 54!

I stopped laughing.

I'll be riding the same course, with the same group of racers, in 2 weeks time. I'm not sure if I'm excited, or afraid.

chasm54 07-06-12 12:47 AM

One of the steeper climbs local to me has a KOM on Strava who allegedly climbs it at over 25mph. It seems likely that his bike was in his car at the time...

OldsCOOL 07-06-12 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGlenday (Post 14445494)
What do you think your max was?

Strava recently showed me doing a max of well over 50-mph http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506

The detailed breakdown of showed 2 brief spikes of 55 and 53 mph. I laughed at how ridiculous that reading was, and went checked by bike's on-board computer. Turns out Strava was right, and the bike computer showed a max of 54!

I stopped laughing.

I'll be riding the same course, with the same group of racers, in 2 weeks time. I'm not sure if I'm excited, or afraid.

Here is the link to the run, it's a segment of a 14mi hilly course that has a first hill like a rollercoaster. There is no way I hit 54mph :lol:


http://app.strava.com/rides/12602342

billydonn 07-06-12 09:58 AM

One cannot take these things too seriously, eh? I just ranked something like 974th fastest on a downhill in California and, shoot, I feel pretty good about it! It was loads of fun! Just shows there are at least 973 crazy people... or are they skilled???

Reports are that I have since been bumped to 989th place. :(

Frosty861 07-06-12 12:32 PM

Two weeks ago I rode the Cape Cod Getaway, a 150 mile, two day ride from Quincy, MA to Provincetown. When I checked my stats for the ride, I found a max speed of 52 mph for Sunday. It seems you need to actually stop the timer on your Edge before you pack your bike in the truck and head north! I guess the unit finally powered down while we were enjoying pizza along Rt 3.

CommuteCommando 07-06-12 12:47 PM

I once logged 80 mph on my Garmin. I forgot to stop it when I boarded the Metrolink.

DGlenday 07-06-12 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 14446312)
Here is the link to the run, it's a segment of a 14mi hilly course that has a first hill like a rollercoaster. There is no way I hit 54mph :lol:


http://app.strava.com/rides/12602342

I see you hit that speed at the end of your ride. Were you driving home before the system turned off?

With my ride http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506 I hit those stoopid speeds on the course, on a fast downhill section - though Strava will tell you that I've sometimes ended my ride with a 5-mile 70mph sprint down an Interstate :lol: . (Gotta delete those, because the speed limit is 55 in that section :eek:)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...StravaPic2.jpg

volosong 07-06-12 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billydonn (Post 14446853)
...Reports are that I have since been bumped to 989th place. :(

A lot of people must have uploaded their rides. Couple days ago I was just two ahead of you at 971. Today, it shows me at 977. By the time I headed down, the road was deserted. Saw only two people at the bottom on the way up, but nobody on top when I headed down. It was nice not having to worry about someone running me over on the way down. I captured the run on my GoPro. Might upload it if I can ever figure out how to get something into You-Tube.

OldsCOOL 07-06-12 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGlenday (Post 14447908)
I see you hit that speed at the end of your ride. Were you driving home before the system turned off?

With my ride http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506 I hit those stoopid speeds on the course, on a fast downhill section - though Strava will tell you that I've sometimes ended my ride with a 5-mile 70mph sprint down an Interstate :lol: . (Gotta delete those, because the speed limit is 55 in that section :eek:)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...StravaPic2.jpg

No, I ride this from my front porch and return there on the bike. The ride shutoff is just as I approach a 4way stop in town. I came down the final hill before the last straightaway at 30.6 with the little Garmin Geko GPS.

On a sidenote....it has been my little dream to get pulled over in the 25 for doing 35 coming off that last downhill right before the 4 way stop intersection where I shut the strava program off and immediately hit save and feed.....as I'm dumping water over my head to cool down. I'd put that ticket on my wall :D

billydonn 07-06-12 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volosong (Post 14448009)
A lot of people must have uploaded their rides. Couple days ago I was just two ahead of you at 971. Today, it shows me at 977. By the time I headed down, the road was deserted. Saw only two people at the bottom on the way up, but nobody on top when I headed down. It was nice not having to worry about someone running me over on the way down. I captured the run on my GoPro. Might upload it if I can ever figure out how to get something into You-Tube.

Too late my man! I have already posted the first i/2 of my trip down in both Beanz and Big John's threads. PM me for advice on YouTubing... if need be. If you haven't posted videos before, YouTube does not like videos over ten minutes, so you should cut your video down or split it up somehow.

Traffic up and down GMR was getting sparse when I went down and I can imagine it was mighty thin when you finished... it was warming up!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.