User Tag List

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strava Embellishments

I rode one of my favorite, personal segments tonight and when checking my Dashboard to see how the data of the ride settled out there was a piece of info that caught my attention....the maximum speed of the ride was 54mph.

Now that's laughable.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think your max was?

Strava recently showed me doing a max of well over 50-mph http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506

The detailed breakdown of showed 2 brief spikes of 55 and 53 mph. I laughed at how ridiculous that reading was, and went checked by bike's on-board computer. Turns out Strava was right, and the bike computer showed a max of 54!

I stopped laughing.

I'll be riding the same course, with the same group of racers, in 2 weeks time. I'm not sure if I'm excited, or afraid.
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the steeper climbs local to me has a KOM on Strava who allegedly climbs it at over 25mph. It seems likely that his bike was in his car at the time...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    What do you think your max was?

Strava recently showed me doing a max of well over 50-mph http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506

The detailed breakdown of showed 2 brief spikes of 55 and 53 mph. I laughed at how ridiculous that reading was, and went checked by bike's on-board computer. Turns out Strava was right, and the bike computer showed a max of 54!

I stopped laughing.

I'll be riding the same course, with the same group of racers, in 2 weeks time. I'm not sure if I'm excited, or afraid.
    Here is the link to the run, it's a segment of a 14mi hilly course that has a first hill like a rollercoaster. There is no way I hit 54mph

http://app.strava.com/rides/12602342
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One cannot take these things too seriously, eh? I just ranked something like 974th fastest on a downhill in California and, shoot, I feel pretty good about it! It was loads of fun! Just shows there are at least 973 crazy people... or are they skilled???

Reports are that I have since been bumped to 989th place.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Trek 1400, Trek 6500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks ago I rode the Cape Cod Getaway, a 150 mile, two day ride from Quincy, MA to Provincetown. When I checked my stats for the ride, I found a max speed of 52 mph for Sunday. It seems you need to actually stop the timer on your Edge before you pack your bike in the truck and head north! I guess the unit finally powered down while we were enjoying pizza along Rt 3.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once logged 80 mph on my Garmin. I forgot to stop it when I boarded the Metrolink.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
    Here is the link to the run, it's a segment of a 14mi hilly course that has a first hill like a rollercoaster. There is no way I hit 54mph

http://app.strava.com/rides/12602342
    I see you hit that speed at the end of your ride. Were you driving home before the system turned off?

With my ride http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506 I hit those stoopid speeds on the course, on a fast downhill section - though Strava will tell you that I've sometimes ended my ride with a 5-mile 70mph sprint down an Interstate . (Gotta delete those, because the speed limit is 55 in that section )

Last edited by DGlenday; 07-06-12 at 02:53 PM.
    Regards,
    Duncan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    ...Reports are that I have since been bumped to 989th place.
    A lot of people must have uploaded their rides. Couple days ago I was just two ahead of you at 971. Today, it shows me at 977. By the time I headed down, the road was deserted. Saw only two people at the bottom on the way up, but nobody on top when I headed down. It was nice not having to worry about someone running me over on the way down. I captured the run on my GoPro. Might upload it if I can ever figure out how to get something into You-Tube.
    Deut 6:5

---

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
    - Vizzini during his "battle of wits" with the Man in Black

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGlenday View Post
    I see you hit that speed at the end of your ride. Were you driving home before the system turned off?

With my ride http://app.strava.com/rides/11241506 I hit those stoopid speeds on the course, on a fast downhill section - though Strava will tell you that I've sometimes ended my ride with a 5-mile 70mph sprint down an Interstate . (Gotta delete those, because the speed limit is 55 in that section )

No, I ride this from my front porch and return there on the bike. The ride shutoff is just as I approach a 4way stop in town. I came down the final hill before the last straightaway at 30.6 with the little Garmin Geko GPS.

On a sidenote....it has been my little dream to get pulled over in the 25 for doing 35 coming off that last downhill right before the 4 way stop intersection where I shut the strava program off and immediately hit save and feed.....as I'm dumping water over my head to cool down. I'd put that ticket on my wall

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by volosong View Post
    A lot of people must have uploaded their rides. Couple days ago I was just two ahead of you at 971. Today, it shows me at 977. By the time I headed down, the road was deserted. Saw only two people at the bottom on the way up, but nobody on top when I headed down. It was nice not having to worry about someone running me over on the way down. I captured the run on my GoPro. Might upload it if I can ever figure out how to get something into You-Tube.
    Too late my man! I have already posted the first i/2 of my trip down in both Beanz and Big John's threads. PM me for advice on YouTubing... if need be. If you haven't posted videos before, YouTube does not like videos over ten minutes, so you should cut your video down or split it up somehow.

Traffic up and down GMR was getting sparse when I went down and I can imagine it was mighty thin when you finished... it was warming up!
    Last edited by billydonn; 07-06-12 at 06:26 PM.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot