Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-12, 09:30 AM   #1
xjken99

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good way to start the day

Got the bike out about halfway through March as part of my plan to lose some weight and get in better shape. I have only been weighing myself about once a month because I don't want be obsessing about every little thing I eat since I am not on any diet to speak of. Simple plan, ride the bike, better food choices (chicken, fish, fruits, veggies and whole grains) and eat less of it (smaller portions). At my weigh in this morning I was pleasantly surprised to find I have broke the 20 lb barrier 22 to be exact. The benefits of the combination of biking and weight loss has increased my energy level, endurance and best of all my legs and feet feel better than they have for years. From 273 to 251 is a good start but hopefully just the start.

I get one week of vacation a year and I chose this week and it turns out to be the worst heat wave around here in years. Forecast for today is 102 and 104 tomorrow which would be the tenth day above 90, needless to say I have not been on the bike much. Of course the heats suppose to break Monday just in time to go back to work.
xjken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 09:42 AM   #2
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
Great news about the weight loss.

You probably should weigh yourself once a week in the morning when you first get up(use the bathroom first).
Bikey Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 07:51 PM   #3
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
That's a real good start, stay the course. Persistence and consistency will pay off as you are already discovering. Congrats.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 07:55 PM   #4
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0
I'm up at 0415 to ride at 0430 before work and before the heat sets in. Don't let the heat stop you! Keep up the good work too!
k7baixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 03:50 AM   #5
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Congrats on the weight loss. Cycling is a great way to help lose weight.

We've been hearing about that heatwave up here in northern Michigan. You've been cooking down there. We had temps in the 95+ range up here, too. No reason you cant keep riding though probably not as far as you'd like.....keep the A/C on, it sure feels good after you come back. Drink extra water.
OldsCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 11:06 AM   #6
B. Carfree

Bikes:
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Congratulations. Isn't it great how the more you exercise the more energy you have to move about and do more things? Have you considered how you are going to replace your entire wardrobe sometime in the next year?
B. Carfree is offline   Reply With Quote