Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rides on the way home from GWS

We're planning our route home from GWS next month and looking for places to stay that are interesting to visit AND ride so we don't spend a long week in the car without any riding. We'd rather ride on our own, after breakfast, than meet a group.

On our last trip to GWS (2010) we spent nights in Moab (en route to GWS), Salida, Santa Fe, Durango on the way home.

So far we're considering a drive through Aspen, stopping at Salida for lunch (we spent the night there last time), and stopping at Taos for 1-2 nights.

Can anyone suggest any must-see stops along this route back home (to SoCal)?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leadville - it has a 12-14?? mile miners loop tracing the history. It is a MUP and it is paved. Also, much other interesting history in Leadville. You would get to go over Independence Pass (shudder) from Aspen and through the twin lakes area.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We considered Leadville but we drove through there last time and don't want to have to spend a night there just for a bike ride. OTOH, the Leadville 100 will be that weekend; we know two of the riders and it would be fun to see them.

Why the shudder over Independence Pass? Is it a harrowing mountain route like Million Dollar Highway (triple shudder!!)?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen,
    I'm not exactly a veteran of that route, but I was through Durango a few years ago BC (before cycling) and I would be itching to ride my bike there if given the chance. IDK, it might be very hot down there about now though.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    We considered Leadville but we drove through there last time and don't want to have to spend a night there just for a bike ride. OTOH, the Leadville 100 will be that weekend; we know two of the riders and it would be fun to see them.

Why the shudder over Independence Pass? Is it a harrowing mountain route like Million Dollar Highway (triple shudder!!)?
    Million is a breeze compared to Independence - at least some people think so. However, it is a popular bike ride, as long as your bike is not too wide!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Million is a breeze compared to Independence - at least some people think so. However, it is a popular bike ride, as long as your bike is not too wide!
    Ummmmmm...... no thanks!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it is not too bad, actually:

"The road is narrow and steep with a 6.5% gradient, including tight switchbacks on each approach. Sections of the pass have a speed limit of 25 mph, with advisory limits on some switchbacks as low as 10 mph. Trucks and other large vehicles are prohibited from using the road; large RVs are allowed, however. The pass is closed after the first heavy snow fall in autumn, often opening only in late May or early June"

It goes over 12,000 feet.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Denver: Um..... no thanks.

billydonn: We were in Durango last time.... liked it a lot but don't want to repeat a lot of our previous stops. Except Salida, CO, where Jim wants to stop at the bike shop (Absolute Bikes).
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the GWS?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Denver: Um..... no thanks.

billydonn: We were in Durango last time.... liked it a lot but don't want to repeat a lot of our previous stops. Except Salida, CO, where Jim wants to stop at the bike shop (Absolute Bikes).
    Just remember that my brother-in-law is sheriff in that area (Chaffee County) and he is one tough hombre!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    What is the GWS?
    Glenwood Springs, CO, site of the 1st annual 50+ ride, and then the site of some other rides that Yen has organized.

My Bikes
    Schwinn 700c, Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 50+ ride? What's the route and how long is it? This might be fun to do some year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking61 View Post
    A 50+ ride? What's the route and how long is it? This might be fun to do some year.
    Each year - for the past 4 years - the 50+ forum has an annual ride. Each is in a different location in the country.

Except for the first year, we tie in with another organized ride, such as a Century.

Go to this thread to read about the various rides we have had.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...2#post14453382
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-08-12 at 06:25 AM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen- I know it's probably not on the direct way back but there are some really nice bike paths (actually MUPs around Frisco). You can also ride from Vail to Frisco or vice versa. It's a pretty good climb with a nice descent either way. Independence Pass was sorta long but I didn't think any of it was terribly steep. Of course we had a couple rest stops that helped to break it up. I ridden into all those towns but haven't done any loops around them. I would think that a ride from Leadville to Salida would be a nice downhill run most of the way. I've also ridden around Taos and that was nice.
    Ride your Ride!!