Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-12, 07:39 PM   #1
Bikes: domane trek
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cramps in quads and changing crank arm length?

I am dealing with cramping this year in my quads. I have 1900 miles so for this year and 400 miles of indoor riding. I did change my crank from a 170 to a 172.5. I have never had cramping problems before. I am using accelerade. I stay hydrated and drink more the day before a long ride. I have a 52cm bike and my inseam is 29. Is my crank change causing my cramps?

apesrunner58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 08:01 PM   #2
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Did you change the seat post height the corresponding amount you changed the crank length (ie, did you drop the seat around 2-1/2 millimetres? It doesn't sound like much, but it can make a difference to fit and feel and leverage.

Are you riding more hills than previously? Or have you increased your intensity on rides? Sometimes the quad muscles need a certain time to acclimatise to extra effort, and until then, are more likely to cramp.

One of the things you might consider doing is to use a salt-substitute that reduces the amount of sodium chloride, and replaces it with potassium chloride. It might be on the supermarket shelves as Lite Salt. Potassium is useful in cell function. Lite Salt also is stronger in taste than normal salt, so less should be put on food that normal.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 08:09 PM   #3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Terex is offline   Reply With Quote