Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Klein Carbon Q 2002
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cramps in quads and changing crank arm length?

I am dealing with cramping this year in my quads. I have 1900 miles so for this year and 400 miles of indoor riding. I did change my crank from a 170 to a 172.5. I have never had cramping problems before. I am using accelerade. I stay hydrated and drink more the day before a long ride. I have a 52cm bike and my inseam is 29. Is my crank change causing my cramps?

Thanks

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you change the seat post height the corresponding amount you changed the crank length (ie, did you drop the seat around 2-1/2 millimetres? It doesn't sound like much, but it can make a difference to fit and feel and leverage.

Are you riding more hills than previously? Or have you increased your intensity on rides? Sometimes the quad muscles need a certain time to acclimatise to extra effort, and until then, are more likely to cramp.

One of the things you might consider doing is to use a salt-substitute that reduces the amount of sodium chloride, and replaces it with potassium chloride. It might be on the supermarket shelves as Lite Salt. Potassium is useful in cell function. Lite Salt also is stronger in taste than normal salt, so less should be put on food that normal.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meds.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."