Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Newby here !!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Newby here !!

    Howdy folks. I have recently started a weight and exercise regimen to take some lbs off. I will be 51 in a few months so this looks like the place for me. I am the proud owner of a 7 speed townie. I passed on the walmart specials and went to a bike shop and paid a little more but I am very pleased with the product. My regimen is a 10 mile bike ride and the next day a 3 mile walk and repeat. I try to average about 10 mph on the ride. I take off on sundays. I am working with my doc on this since I have some health issues also. He approves of the 10 - 3 .

    Questions to all of you is this.

    After a 10 mile day and then 3 miles walking, my legs feel like lead. When that happens should I take a day off to recharge or push through it ? I really am not sore, just very tired in the legs.

    My goal is to do a 20 mile round trip on the bike by end of july and then take a 50 mile trip by end of october.
    Last edited by BigTerry; 07-10-12 at 10:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle of da Mitten
    My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Posts
    7,285
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ten miles shouldn't be over-stressing anything. I'd be prone to push on through it. If it's just conditioning, you'll start to feel better after a week or two. If you're over-training you'll get more tired with time. It should be easy enough to tell the difference.

  3. #3
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,743
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a hot bath and soaked my legs when I first began riding.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Ten miles shouldn't be over-stressing anything. I'd be prone to push on through it. If it's just conditioning, you'll start to feel better after a week or two. If you're over-training you'll get more tired with time. It should be easy enough to tell the difference.
    Thats what I had hoped to hear. The day aint good without a ride !!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    I took a hot bath and soaked my legs when I first began riding.
    I'll try that. Thanks. I am in Harris county BTW.

  6. #6
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    My Bikes
    GTO
    Posts
    25,743
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 miles in this heat and humidity is a hard ride for a newbie.

    I got in 215 miles last week and it sapped me good.
    League City
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  7. #7
    Senior Member NOS88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Montgomery County, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,455
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome. BlazingPedals and 10 Wheels have hit the nail on the head. The only thing I would offer is that your goals seem very reachable.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

  8. #8
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,291
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What area of the country do you live in?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    What area of the country do you live in?
    Just outside of Houston Texas.

  10. #10
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    5,092
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Sounds like you have set reasonable, attainable goals, so best of luck to you. No doubt, before you know it, you'll be telling us about your first hundred miler, known here as a century.
    Oh, and just so you're forewarned, we talk a lot about indelicate things like colonoscopies, and delicacies like pie, all flavors.
    So, have you had yours yet, and what's your favorite flavor?
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Welcome. Sounds like you have set reasonable, attainable goals, so best of luck to you. No doubt, before you know it, you'll be telling us about your first hundred miler, known here as a century.
    Oh, and just so you're forewarned, we talk a lot about indelicate things like colonoscopies, and delicacies like pie, all flavors.
    So, have you had yours yet, and what's your favorite flavor?
    Wife's name is Cherry so I will aways go with what doesnt get me in trouble. No colonoscopy yet. Dr hasn't brought it up and I'm not about to !!

  12. #12
    Senior Member DnvrFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    20,907
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTerry View Post
    Wife's name is Cherry so I will aways go with what doesnt get me in trouble. No colonoscopy yet. Dr hasn't brought it up and I'm not about to !!
    It is a potential life-saver. (the colonoscopy, not the pie - well??) Anyway, YOU bring it up to your doc. We have folks in here who didn't, and went through stage 4 of colon cancer. And, it is not so bad, really.

  13. #13
    Yen
    Yen is offline
    Surly Girly Yen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    It is a potential life-saver. (the colonoscopy, not the pie - well??) Anyway, YOU bring it up to your doc. We have folks in here who didn't, and went through stage 4 of colon cancer. And, it is not so bad, really.
    Really, it's not so bad. It's very popular to talk about how bad it is because it wouldn't be popular to say how much fun it is.

    If you're brand new to your exercise regimen then you may benefit from an additional day off in the middle of the week, e.g. Wednesday, until your strength improves.

    Oh, and welcome!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

  14. #14
    rebmeM roineS JanMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Posts
    11,783
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Really, it's not so bad. It's very popular to talk about how bad it is because it wouldn't be popular to say how much fun it is.

    If you're brand new to your exercise regimen then you may benefit from an additional day off in the middle of the week, e.g. Wednesday, until your strength improves.

    Oh, and welcome!
    My colonoscopy was great! They used great drugs! And I say that as a professional healthcare provider. DO NOT get a colonoscopy on the street with street drugs!

    Ten mile rides are very reasonable for a new cyclist. When ten miles seems way too easy, then you will know that you are making progress.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

  15. #15
    Senior Member Mort Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome BigTerry,
    Be careful this stuff is addictive. Might not be too long before 10 miles just barely gets you warmed up.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

  16. #16
    Senior Member El Segundo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Decatur, Alabama USA
    My Bikes
    '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '85 Trek 470, '88 Trek 400T, '88 Diamondback Ascent EX, '56 Raleigh Superbe
    Posts
    256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Big Terry, get the colonoscopy and ask about a shingles shot. Miles will get easier just enjoy the ride most of all.

    Have you picked out your next bike yet?
    Last edited by El Segundo; 07-10-12 at 10:18 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member teachme's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! A colonoscopy is highly recommended for anyone over 50. Its one good day of a drug induced euphoria. I forget the name of the new drug they give you but it is, oh so good, no hangover either. You should really go get it done.
    Official member of the Brotherhood of Clyde...

    Lets stop diabetes! Click here: http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/?px...nal&fr_id=8067 to donate to the Tour de Cure.

  18. #18
    Senior Member skilsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Victoria, Canada
    My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Posts
    1,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club. Your exercise regime sounds pretty good to me. If you think you need a day off, you could change to a 3 day series. Day one - Bike 10 miles, Day 2 - Walk 3 miles, Day - Do weights at the gym for your upper body. repeat, Sunday off.

    The biking and walking can be for endurance, not necessarily speed. Your heart and lungs will love you. The weights can be for strength.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Blanchje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colonoscopy is great for weight loss too. I think I lost about 9 pounds overnight Seriously, talk to your doc. It's no big deal and the drugs are good. Welcome. Bet you didn't think your introduction thread was going to go this direction

  20. #20
    Senior Member missjean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    My Bikes
    A slate grey mountain bike & a grey road bike
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    Thumbs up for buying a bike from a LBS.
    "I bet German has a word for it. German has a word for everything."

  21. #21
    USMC Veteran qcpmsame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    7,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 50+ looney bin, Big Terry and Cherry, you'll find several other 50+ members in the Houston area. Have a piece of your favorite PIE after the next ride, post up a ride report and a picture of your bike in the N+1 for 2012 thread and schedule that colonoscopy you know you really want. Ride safe.

    Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

  22. #22
    Must... ride... more... Phil_gretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sterling, VA
    My Bikes
    '77 Fuji S-10S, '82 Fuji Team, '88 Fuji Saratoga, '08 Scattante CFR, '12 Jamis Sputnik, '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT
    Posts
    2,391
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    PSA, too!

    Welcome, Terry. No one has mentioned it yet, but we expect to hear about your PSA (prostate specific antigen) scores as well. Have you had a PSA test recently?

    Cherry pie will be fine.

    Best of luck reaching your fitness goals - hope that you feel better each day.

    Are you going to incorporate any core strengthening or upper body resistance work (maybe on your walking days)? Maybe discuss this with your MD? These exercises will contibute to overall health, because we tend to lose muscle mass at our age(s) otherwise.

    Have fun!

    Phil G.
    Last edited by Phil_gretz; 07-11-12 at 07:03 AM. Reason: correcting typos

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Segundo View Post
    Welcome Big Terry, get the colonoscopy and ask about a shingles shot. Miles will get easier just enjoy the ride most of all.

    Have you picked out your next bike yet?
    I'll ask about colonoscopy on my next visit. Havent even given a next bike thought yet. In a year perhaps. I get to where I can do an MS150 then may consider a new bike. Right now my 7 speed Townie is all I need.

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    25
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
    Welcome, Terry. No one has mentioned it yet, but we expect to hear about your PSA (prostate specific antigen) scores as well. Have you had a PSA test recently?

    Cherry pie will be fine.

    Best of luck reaching your fitness goals - hope that you feel better each day.

    Are you going to incorporate any core strengthening or upper body resistance work (maybe on your walking days)? Maybe discuss this with your MD? These exercises will contibute to overall health, because we tend to lose muscle mass at our age(s) otherwise.

    Have fun!

    Phil G.
    Considering a Gym membership to add some weight training.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •