Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you noticed this

As riders get in better shape and lose weight by cycling, many then start buying lighter and more efficient equipment.

Should not a rider that is in great shape try to get the heaviest and largest tires which have the greatest rolling friction, so that they can continue to get the most exercise out of their ride.

Well going faster with all this new high performance equipment might sound good but remember that the amount of road rash increases as the speed is cubed. So twice the speed equals 8 times the road rash.

I am only kidding. I think that the new equipment inspires the rider to reach even higher goals.

Ride long and strong and be safe.

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    I am only kidding. I think that the new equipment inspires the rider to reach even higher goals.
    Not only that, but you can always just push harder to get the more intense workout, and having an efficient bike enables you to back off, which is often needed for proper training. Climbing is one area where adding weight to the bike (lead-filled water bottles, etc) is considered an effective technique.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several restraints on a first bike that most riders concern themselves with. First one is cost. Who is going to fork out $5000 on their first bike unless they are loaded and know they will be staying in the sport. You can get a divorce for that amount on money and when I started riding I would probably have got one if I spent that amount on a decent bike.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take out my 28 pound Monstercross bike when I ride with my daughter. Her normal pace is about 15 to 16 mph. I find that I can still get a good workout at that pace.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am tempted to run a little experiment when I hit my goal of 180 lbs. (currently 230 from a high 290). I would like to find some way of strapping on 110 lbs and tackling some of those hills I was so afraid of back then.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not an advocate of changing equipment too much. I get in tune with my equipment and dramatically changing it to make something harder does not make a lot of sense in a sport where we rely on confidence and execution to keep us safe and fast. If one wants to make something harder - go faster. A digression... I play classical piano and used to give recitals. These were organized by the teaches and done at their homes and of course we had to play their piano.

Musicians get used to their instrument and its sound and action. When I played a difficult piece, I was on the edge of my capability and anything that was different, like a different piano, threw me off a little. I find sporting equipment to be the same. At one recital, I suggested that the cellists swap cellos so that they were on equal footing with the pianists. No cellist wanted any part of that deal.

The better the piano I practiced on and played, the better I performed.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Several restraints on a first bike that most riders concern themselves with. First one is cost. Who is going to fork out $5000 on their first bike unless they are loaded and know they will be staying in the sport. You can get a divorce for that amount on money and when I started riding I would probably have got one if I spent that amount on a decent bike.
    Yeah, well, I had to fight like hell to get my wife to allow me to replace my ancient Schwinn Letour. Finally raised the cash by selling some no-longer needed fishing gear, and ordered an entry level aluminum frame GT.

Move the clock ahead 2 weeks, and before my bike has even come in, she's at another LBS ordering a WSD Trek for herself.

Now she's talking about upgrading to a 4.5 Madone when she hits her 6,000 mile mark.

This, of course, ups the ante for me too, you know.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Cannondale Quick 4, Terry Classic, Gary Fisher Marlin, Dahon Jetstream XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I am tempted to run a little experiment when I hit my goal of 180 lbs. (currently 230 from a high 290). I would like to find some way of strapping on 110 lbs and tackling some of those hills I was so afraid of back then.
    I can ride on your rack.

A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    N+1 requires no justification. It is a law of nature unto itself. We might as well try to justify gravity. It just is.

Still, I agree in peace through superior firepower, ie. you can never have too much ammo on your side.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the amount of road rash increases as the speed is cubed. So twice the speed equals 8 times the road rash.
    I'm thinking that you need to do more research into that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. The road rash would not go up that much. Maybe it is a square function of the speed like kinetic energy's relation to speed.

I sort of started this thread because I was bored. I am glad that so many have replied. We all just love riding so much and the upgrades of equipment are just part of the riding experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew a lady that had a cello that cost around $50,000. She played in the Alabama Symphony and they traveled around playing. Her husband told me that there were some other musicians that were jealous of her cello and from time to time would give her a hard time. I am pretty sure that she would not ever think of swapping cellos for a concert.

I admire and I am constantly impressed with the talents that others have developed.

The other day some one posted a video of a guy riding a road bike on a rocky trail along the coast. The guy was jumping the bike on the rocks and then he went riding down some large concrete drainage ditch. He was doing things on a road bike that just seemed impossible. If you have not seen this video and you are able to find it you will enjoy watching.

My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    I can ride on your rack.
    Your'e just angling for a trip to CA. Forget it. The weather sucks.
    As much as you paid for that Beemer [Mercedies, Audi, Escalade], I'm surprised it didn't come equipped with turn signals.

My Bikes
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want faster lighter stuff to feel good about myself.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I knew a lady that had a cello that cost around $50,000. She played in the Alabama Symphony and they traveled around playing. Her husband told me that there were some other musicians that were jealous of her cello and from time to time would give her a hard time. I am pretty sure that she would not ever think of swapping cellos for a concert.
    Bad example. She is not worthy of that cello. Few would be.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    Bad example. She is not worthy of that cello. Few would be.
    So what's the value of a cello that doesn't get played by anybody?

My Bikes
    Trek Mtn Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you're really worried about getting enough exercise, strap a barbell plate to your frame. Say a 25lb or maybe a 50lb. That'll do it.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." You can get a good workout, with whatever you have. If you aren't getting enough work, speed up.

Good reliable equipment helps prevent unneeded frustration and distraction, but beyond that, it doesn't really matter much.

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mprelaw View Post
    Yeah, well, I had to fight like hell to get my wife to allow me to replace my ancient Schwinn Letour. Finally raised the cash by selling some no-longer needed fishing gear, and ordered an entry level aluminum frame GT.

Move the clock ahead 2 weeks, and before my bike has even come in, she's at another LBS ordering a WSD Trek for herself.

Now she's talking about upgrading to a 4.5 Madone when she hits her 6,000 mile mark.

This, of course, ups the ante for me too, you know.
    Thats better than the way I did it. I just went out and got a 5000 bike. I figured (wrongly) it was easier to get forgiveness than permission. In this case, not so much. It's been three years and I still hear about it.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I still have the bike
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    N+1 requires no justification. It is a law of nature unto itself. We might as well try to justify gravity. It just is.
    n+1 is the REAL "God particle."
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite bike of all time is...My Next One!

I like to always have TWO in the stable. That way I'm never down. I have my Madone, and Specialized Crux (bigger tires). I had a Mtn. bike, but the positioning made my hands numb.

I wish I had a flat place to be able to hold a good pace. Best I can do on my 25 mile rides each day is 15. Hills, traffic, etc.
    Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you lose weight and get in shape it allows you to take advatage of higher performing equipment.

My Bikes
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Ouch, that really hurts!! Hear I'm sweating bullets looking at $700 to $1000 road bikes for a future purchase and now you tell me there "JUNK", don't even rate "decent" level, couldn't you be kind and say: if I spent that amount of money for a excellent bike??
    Take care, RIDE SAFE, have FUN!
    B.J. Ondo
    2011 Jamis Allegro 1

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    n+1 is the REAL "God particle."
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. I have on order through Bikes Direct a Higgs Boson fixie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast