User Tag List

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to get a new computer for the bike.

My Specialized computer went bonkers yesterday while I was riding. Started flashing random speeds in the speedometer area first, then it just flashed strange characters. I tried all the tricks from a reset to the battery replacement on the unit and the sensor (wireless) but no luck, still doing the electronic lambada on the screen. Went to the LBS and got a Cannondale IQ300 wireless simple computer (just like my brain, neat huh?) and got it programmed and mounted while I ate my lunch sandwich. Rode with it this afternoon, had to adjust the sensor's placement on the fork for the distance from the magnet. Got that sorted, finished the set up with the calorie estimator units and my weight inputted.

I did some research before I purchased the IQ300, found pretty good reviews for it. I like the simple functions, single button functions and compact size of it. Now time will tell if my choice was a good move. thought about upgrading the unit to a Garmin 500 or 800 but I just don't need all the bells and whistles. Made that decision last year when I was deciding about an iPhone. Hope this unit lasts me a while, even though it was inexpensive.

Bill
    Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still using my Garmin Edge 305; may go kaput after this post but it sure has been a good urn! Lp
    "You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."

- Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a simple kind of guy. I only need my cell phone to make and receive calls, and all I ask from a bike computer is, how fast am I going, how far have I gone, and what time is it now?
    The vast majority of bike computers I sold when I had my shop were simple 5 function types like I use, but I always had to stock the high zoot ones for the few that came looking for them.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

My Bikes
    09 Giant Cypress DX, 89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    I'm a simple kind of guy. I only need my cell phone to make and receive calls, and all I ask from a bike computer is, how fast am I going, how far have I gone, and what time is it now?
    +1
    When my Cateye Velo 5 died I replaced it with a Sigma 1009, I still don't know what the other 4 functions are.
    Set phasers to butt-whup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have three Cateye Stradas and a spare wire harness for whenever the next N+1 shows up. Bought them all off eBay for very little over the years.

Every once in a while I would like to have a cadence computer and a Heart Rate Monitor, but I don't know if the additional data would really help me all that much.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the Cannondale computers the next model up from mine had the cadence function. I added ~$20.00 to the price. Unless it kept repeating "you are riding slow, you are riding slow" it wouldn't mean anything to me. I figure if I am still breathing and riding my heart is beating so I'll skip the heart monitor too. I know the racers and many recreational riders like the HR feature, I just don't feel like I need it for my base building riding. YMMV.

Bill

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
    Still using my Garmin Edge 305; may go kaput after this post but it sure has been a good urn! Lp
    My 305 has been playing up for a while so just trying to sort a 500 at the right price.

ONLINE and I can get one for a sensible price from the US but carriage and customs brings it up to the exhorbitant price we have to pay over here.

Just wondering if I am doing the right thing as I already know how slow I ride- and I know how steep the hills are.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill, hope it serves you well. I went with the Garmin 500 because of the ease with which you can swap it from one bike to another. It's only in its first season. So time will tell if it holds up or not.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Colnago EP with Campy chorus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stamfam , I bought a Garmin 500 few months ago from ProBikeKit ( uk online store ) without HR/canence for about $280 CDN . The good thing about this is you can transfer the 500 to other bike without the setup .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    My 305 has been playing up for a while so just trying to sort a 500 at the right price.

ONLINE and I can get one for a sensible price from the US but carriage and customs brings it up to the exhorbitant price we have to pay over here.

Just wondering if I am doing the right thing as I already know how slow I ride- and I know how steep the hills are.
    With 6 different compuuters on various steeds, and each with a different way of resetting, I have forgotten how to change any of them back to zero. So, I only use one function - how fast am I going down a hill (I never look when going UP a hill, as I know how fast I am not going just by looking at my shadow).
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    Have three Cateye Stradas and a spare wire harness for whenever the next N+1 shows up. Bought them all off eBay for very little over the years.

Every once in a while I would like to have a cadence computer and a Heart Rate Monitor, but I don't know if the additional data would really help me all that much.
    +1

I have a wireless Strada and HR would probably be useful ... if not possibly alarming . I'm told I have a good cadence overall so I'm not sure if that would be any real long term use. Maybe, maybe not. I can feel when I'm out of whatever zone is best for me at a given speed.... dunno.
    Len Philpot - 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport
    I start out slow and then taper off from there...

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Garmin 500. I like the functions but hate the recharging. I frequently leave it turned on on the bike and then don't have a computer on my next ride. Taking it off the bike after each ride is a PITA. I am tempted to get a regular computer for tracking speed and distance and only attach the Garmin if I want to log the details of a new ride.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donheff View Post
    I have the Garmin 500. I like the functions but hate the recharging. I frequently leave it turned on on the bike and then don't have a computer on my next ride. Taking it off the bike after each ride is a PITA. I am tempted to get a regular computer for tracking speed and distance and only attach the Garmin if I want to log the details of a new ride.
    Use a smart phone with a tracking app. Turn it on, put it in your pocket, and go ride. The battery will last a long time, and rechardge as usual. Everything is downloadable as desired, same as a Garmin.

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought long and hard about getting a Garmin 500 or 800 even looked at the prices and at eBay to see what I could get a set-up for. I couldn't justify the extra cost though. My new phone (Blackberry) has GPS Logger II and another GPS app on it and my cadence is like Lphilpot said about his, pretty well even and constant. I seem to have a good feel for keeping it in a narrow range when cruising along. My heart rate has always been relatively slow, getting back down rapidly where it got into the low 80's after the surgeries. It doesn't get really high on me. Flight surgeon cardiologist told me that my natural rate was in the low 60's to mid 40's when I took my first flight physical at 19. Even now it gets to about 120 on a hard ride, a bit higher on a hill, but never much past 130.

I understand that if I take training to the next level I should have a HR monitor and eventually a PM but I am not sure I want to get so complicated in my bicycling. hence the IQ300 computer and that type is enough for me. I wnet through a time where I thought about a Garmin or iPhone with all the sensors and doing Strava but it passed. I am happy with the smartphone and simple computer so I'll stay there and concentrate on enjoying riding, which makes me really happy and feeling much fitter than just 1 year ago.

Bill

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only two reasons for having any computer at all, in my opinion. First, serious training. The feedback on HR and, for those who use it, power, is invaluable. Second, touring - in which case the GPS capability can be really useful, but isn't strictly necessary given the availability of smartphones.

If I weren't doing either of those things, I wouldn't bother having a computer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heart Rate Monitor for a Smart Phone.

I have no clue how accurate this is - mixed reviews - but there are probably more apps - just a quick google search.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eartrate&hl=en

My Bikes
    Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to keep track of my ride info. Up loading the info in a computer program like Garmin Connect or Strava makes it easy. I know its meaningless info for some but I like to see if I am improving or sliding back a little. Its like a game to me, nothing serious, its not like am I thinking of turning pro or anything, its just nice to keep track. Everyone likes different stuff.
    Chief Executive In Charge Of Diddly Squat.

Taking on a long hill is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you are tired, You stop when the Gorilla is tired.

Now ridding a
    Felt AR4 with Mavic Super light Premium wheels
    Cannonade Hybrid

If you lack the courage to start, you have already finished.

In God we trust

My Bikes
    Norco Bushpilot, Raleigh Delta (Project Bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    The vast majority of bike computers I sold when I had my shop were simple 5 function types like I use, but I always had to stock the high zoot ones for the few that came looking for them.
    Here is what I would like for a bike computer.

A simple unit, fastens to a spoke, contains a tilt switch that each time the wheel goes around, it increases it's internal count, on the unit is a display that says how far I have gone in user definable units (km or miles, I don't even care if it shows anything smaller then 1km). The purpose behind such a device is simple, to show total distance travelled, for maintenance reasons. Better is a button on it, that when I push the button the display lights up until I let go, the battery could last a decade or more.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden without a computer for so long-Or at least a reliable one- that I am still pondering as to whether I need one. If I do it will be a Garmin due to those extra functions it has. Heart monitor is a must but cadence not so much. Elevation on a ride and severity of gradient are always a plus to me after the ride. I will be able to see why that ride was so tiring

Still pondering but if I do it will be the Garmin 500 but if Polar still made the basic heart monitor- then I would probably just go with that.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just replaced a Cateye strada double wireless for an Cateye Cadence wired computer. The wireless computer stopped receiving input from the sensor. And before that, the wireless would loose signal momentarily during a ride.

The wired Cadence computer consistently works and I like how secure the sensors are mounted. When riding, I like to check cadence and speed to see how well I'm riding or challenge myself to ride harder.

For HR, I purchased a Polar watch style. After a few rides, I found it easy to predict my heart rate, so I don't use it that often.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am an engineer and love data. The Garmin 500 is a great device if you are inclined this way.

I even have a DIY program to import my ride statistics into Excel. I don' really do anything with all that data, but (for example) I can tell you in a few minutes how much time I spent at 80% heart rate or how many feet of elevation I climbed this year vs last.

You can use it to navigate a preset path in an unfamiliar area, but this is a bit tricky and not the units strong point.

Man of constant sorrow Dudelsack's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On ebay I scored a Garmin 500 from Australia for $200 with free shipping. Works great. I upload to Strava and it tells me I'm pitifully slow.
    Possunt quia posse videntur. St. Dudel: Epic is stupid that you get away with.

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resistance is futile. You will eventually get a Garmin.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for a bit, maybe in a year or so, I just don't feel like a Garmin would add much for me right now.

Bill

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    Not for a bit, maybe in a year or so, I just don't feel like a Garmin would add much for me right now.

Bill
    You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot