Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: MIYATA nine 14

My Bikes
    Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MIYATA nine 14

i picked up a like new 914 its black, for 100 dollars, trouble is it has clipless pedals andi am old fashioned and like toe clips and straps. the LBS threw a fairly good crankset with some good pedals so i stole them and swapped them on the 914. Now I just need to find some clips and straps. Here i am 72 years old and worried about natural ankling and getting speed and range on this hot super bike, duh. I saw some ATB clips and straps for 8 bux so I will prolly order them

My Bikes
    Cannondale,Trek, Raleigh, Univega, Schwinn Panther, Peugot course, Benotto, many others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several retro top end road bikes in storage up in Missouri, All of my road bikes have toe clips and straps. time was when you could buy clips and straps at wal mart. the LBS has them but they are very pricey. the bike has sat on the back porch so long that the air seeped out of the tires. My excuse is oh, the bike has no toe clips. but I have a rack on the back of my Crown Vic and could take it down to Whittington and ride it... Thursday night is when the big boiz ride, and I have shorts jersey helmet etc just no shoes worth wearing. The Nikes I found in the dumpster are about cashed since I have worn them for about a year thanks to shoe goo. This period in my life has been hard they put my mom in a nursing home and i am paying rent on her trailer, we need to sell it quick. Its been over half a year since they snatched her out of her home when she fell and called 911!

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not true until pictures are provided ;-)
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a nine 14 sitting in my basement that I bought new in 1992.
    You have motivated me to bring it out for a ride, I had totally forgotten about it!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, what color is it? I will get a picture of the one I found as soon as I can, would it be wrong to ask what it cost you back in the day?. I bought my first ten speed, a Chiorda, for 79.95 at a department store.in 1971 ,Goldblatts I think. when you consider that it was 42 years ago I did pretty well to buy a bike with this many features for just a bit more than my Chiorda.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must be VERY hot in AZ
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aquist,
    If you have an eBay account, you can buy new or used toe clips online at pretty good prices. The dealer on eBay I like goes by the name Abaxo and he has a good selection. (No I don't have any business connection to him other than as an occasional customer.)
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    Mongoose passed on to my son, Miyata, Tailwind, V-Rex, De Rosa, Safari, just added a Bike Friday
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My current main ride is a 7-21. Bought it new in '92, think it was a 1991 leftover. Sweet ride with maybe 20k miles on it. handlebars, seat post, shift levers, brakes, cable housings, rear deraileur (however you spell the rear shift thingie), cranks, pedals and toe clips and of course the frame are still original. Ran many years with a clipless pedal system, reverted to toe clips last year for a variety of reasons. See no real reason to go back to clipless pedals in my future. Enjoy the ride.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cages and straps fine, but my preference is straps, like powergrips here: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-Hi.../dp/B001HBURMM though I think the ones made for fixies would be worth a look as well. The problem with cages is they tend to tear up the nose of your shoe.

I think I am the only rider on the planet rockin a carbon Roubaix at 20 mph using powergrips. But, supremely comfortable and convenient.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a bit miffed that u don't believe that I have lotsa great bikes but down here iN ARKANSAS, THE AVERAGE PERSON WOULD THINK IT OUTRAGEOUS TO PAY 100 DOLLARS FOR A USED BIKE. ALSO i am lousy as a potog and don't even know how to post pix. Couple that with the fact that my wife doesn't even know that I have the Miyata. its hiding on the back porch. lol thanks for the toe clip advice. I will have to wait until my next pension check is available around the first of august. Eating and feeding the dogs cats and birds is more important and we are really tight on cash. I rode the Peugot Course today and got the clips on and charged up our hill feeling pretty fast They were kinda squished down and I could't get my feet in. so I took the straps loose and bent the clip upwards and replaced the straps,,, much better. I suspect that the Miyata has never been ridden, or not much there is no wear on anything.