Thread: Dizzy

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dizzy

I am scheduled to ride in the "Peach Pedal" , a ride in Weatherford, Texas. This ride is in preparation for the Hottern' Hell Hundred in late August. Motel reservations made for my wife and I along with my riding partner and his wife. However, I woke up this morning with my whole world going around and around. I could not get my balance and could not find a good position to hold my head. I was a bit frightened.

My wife took me to the doctor's office. Could not see my regular doctor, but did get in to see one. He said it was an inner ear viral infection. It would be OK in a few days, maybe a week. He said the infection would not be affected by me riding, but a crash due to a lack of balance might hurt. I am staying home. What a way to miss a ride.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That feeling of dizzyness is quite disconcerting. I get it occasionally when I stand up. The world turns grey. I try and get something to hold on to.

You're making the right choice to withdraw. My son is going through that right now because 3 weeks ago he crashed his bike. Other than road rash, he only broke two ribs. He had his whole summer of triathlons all mapped out and now he can't lift his hand over his head. Hasn't even tried swimming.

Let the ear heal and don't add any complications by being too anxious to get back on your bike.
    The one who has the most bikes wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devloped the same thing last week (I hope), only a lot less intensive, just occasional when I moved my head suddenly. Annoying as hell. I stayed off the bike for 4 days, saw the doc. who told me the same thing and prescribed Meclizine, an antihistamine used to treat vertigo. Works well, just had to find the best dosage to avoid drowsyness. I've been riding since Sunday with no issues.

Feel better

SB

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had any of you guys presented in my ED for treatment you would have had a head CT to rule out posterior CVA and routine lab work. Although dizziness is more than likely from positional vertigo and treated with meclizine/inner ear still a standard of care we take seriously. Lp
    "You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day."

- Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

My Bikes
    2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
    Had any of you guys presented in my ED for treatment you would have had a head CT to rule out posterior CVA and routine lab work. Although dizziness is more than likely from positional vertigo and treated with meclizine/inner ear still a standard of care we take seriously. Lp
    I am sorry, but I have no idea what you just told me.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeArkansas View Post
    I am sorry, but I have no idea what you just told me.
    You would have been irradiated. In a CAT scanner. To rule out a stroke.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the symptoms for heat exhaustion. That is one of them.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

'85 Trek 460 road racer

'89 Raleigh Technium PRE

'79 Motobecane Super Mirage