Thread: I am Fred.

My Bikes
    1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am Fred.

What else would you call a 60 year old guy, 15lbs overweight, who wears a mirror on his helmet and put aero bars on his 21 lb relaxed geometry road bike?

I confess, I did it and I’m glad I did. Not for the aero effect or speed (tho I’ll take those), but comfort. I’ve always had problems with my wrists getting sore and my hands going numb. I’ve played around with handlebar and brake hood position to no avail. I get temporary relief from taking a hand off the bars, but it doesn’t last long. One solution which seemed to help was resting my forearms on the handlebars just holding onto the brake cables. That gave some relief, but I couldn’t do it for long because my forearms would hurt and it’s an unstable position. I did like the stretched out position though.

The obvious solution was aero bars. Thought about it for a long time and finally got a pair. First ride today. Loved them. I can see why they’re banned in mass races, tho. Anyone else use them?
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .... I’ve always had problems with my wrists getting sore and my hands going numb. I’ve played around with handlebar and brake hood position to no avail.
    Hmm...I find that very interesting. I, too, have a lot of problems with numbness of the hands. I've done a lot of things which have made the problem manageable, but it is still with me to some extent. I had never considered aerobars for the problem.

I see many people on my favorite MUP using aerobars, so I know they are popular. When I see people using them, I just figure they are training for time trials.

Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have Aero-bars on my road bike. Not only does it help when fighting a headwind, it also makes a long day on the bike much more comfortable.

Needless to say, Aero-bars have a clear advantage over drops on windy, flat and straight roads.

I'm also using aero-bars as a comfortable alternative to riding on the drops and hoods. I now spend 40 percent of the ride on the aero-bars, 30 percent on the hoods and 30 percent on the drops. I'll use the drops for all technical riding. I never use the Aero-bars when in traffic or when I'm on a group ride.

I'm considering if I should add them to my 28 pound Touring/Monstercross bike. The Aero-bar position is a good alternative to riding on the drops and hoods even when aerodynamics is not a consideration. I have no problem keeping my balance when using the Aero-bars and cornering and bad pavement are not a concern most of the time.

I asked about bike-fit on the road forum before adding Aero-bars to my road bike. The thread provided a number of good responses: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ero+bars+drops
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-14-12 at 07:14 AM.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike

My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, Raleigh Venture 3.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered my first road bike (been riding a comfort bike) so I could get more hand positions and more speed. Aero bars look like a great idea. I may have to try that. So many styles, how did you decide which ones to get?
    Last edited by Ramfactor; 07-14-12 at 05:47 AM.
    11 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy
    12 GT GTR Series 4
    09 Raleigh Venture 3.0

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it and get yourselves a brand new aero bike that's designed for an aero position. Then get the fitter to position it like a tri bike which isn't as aggressive as a time trial bike. If I had to choose, I would get a Cervelo P2 for that type of riding.

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I also have Aero-bars on my road bike. Not only does it help when fighting a headwind, it also makes a long day on the bike much more comfortable.

Needless to say, Aero-bars have a clear advantage over drops on windy, flat and straight roads.

I'm also using aero-bars as a comfortable alternative to riding on the drops and hoods. I now spend 40 percent of the ride on the aero-bars, 30 percent on the hoods and 30 percent on the drops. I'll use the drops for all technical riding. I never use the Aero-bars when in traffic or when I'm on a group ride.

I'm considering if I should add them to my 28 pound Touring/Monstercross bike. The Aero-bar position is a good alternative to riding on the drops and hoods even when aerodynamics is not a consideration. I have no problem keeping my balance when using the Aero-bars and cornering and bad pavement are not a concern most of the time.

I asked about bike-fit on the road forum before adding Aero-bars to my road bike. The thread provided a number of good responses: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ero+bars+drops
    I'm considering putting them on my road bike. Like you, I understand that there are situations where it is inappropriate to use them. My concern would be showing up for a group ride and getting harrased by people who assume I don't know better.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

In the drops on the roads of North San Diego/South Orange Counies CA
    My Bikes
    KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinarider View Post
    What else would you call a 60 year old guy, 15lbs overweight, who wears a mirror on his helmet and put aero bars on his 21 lb relaxed geometry road bike?

I confess, I did it and I’m glad I did. Not for the aero effect or speed (tho I’ll take those), but comfort. I’ve always had problems with my wrists getting sore and my hands going numb. I’ve played around with handlebar and brake hood position to no avail. I get temporary relief from taking a hand off the bars, but it doesn’t last long. One solution which seemed to help was resting my forearms on the handlebars just holding onto the brake cables. That gave some relief, but I couldn’t do it for long because my forearms would hurt and it’s an unstable position. I did like the stretched out position though.

The obvious solution was aero bars. Thought about it for a long time and finally got a pair. First ride today. Loved them. I can see why they’re banned in mass races, tho. Anyone else use them?
    To compound my Fredness, I've been told I look like Jerry Garcia.
    Freedom is free. It's included in democracy. Democracy is hard. It involves dealing rationally with people you disagree with.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuteCommando View Post
    I'm considering putting them on my road bike. Like you, I understand that there are situations where it is inappropriate to use them. My concern would be showing up for a group ride and getting harrased by people who assume I don't know better.
    Unless the club has specific rules against Aero-bars, the group should not voice any objections. Just don't use them while the group is anywhere within view.

Of course, some group riders might want to complain, but just explain that you never use the aero position while with a group.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no need for aero bars. Does that make me a non-fred?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramfactor View Post
    So many styles, how did you decide which ones to get?
    I didn't have much choice. My LBS only had 2 models. On the cheaper ones there was no adjustment, so I opted for the more expensive ones ($89.00), which do allow a lot more adjustment. Glad I did. I know there are numerous mail order options, but for something like this I prefer to stick with the local shop.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.”
    Bertrand Russell

Warning:Annoying to jerks RaleighSport's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have much choice. My LBS only had 2 models. On the cheaper ones there was no adjustment, so I opted for the more expensive ones ($89.00), which do allow a lot more adjustment. Glad I did. I know there are numerous mail order options, but for something like this I prefer to stick with the local shop.
    Can we see some pics of your setup?
    “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Emerson in His Journals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful until you get some miles under your belt. Your bike is not going to handle the same way in corners, or even on the straights, as it will when you're on the hoods, or even on the drops. The reason why they're frowned upon in group rides is you're not as maneuverable if someone swings out to avoid a pothole, or some other obstruction. Most clubs allow bikes with them to participate in group rides, but prohibit riding on them unless you're pulling at the head of a paceline.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry - a true Fred is TOTALLY unawares that he is a Fred, so you don't qualify.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chinarider,
    I have seen a lot of riders with aerobars and all are in a pretty tight crouch. My excess belly usually precludes me getting any farther forward than the hoods or the flats. Maybe I ought to try a pair, but I have never been comfortable that far forward and low.

BTW I like your avatar and user name. May the four winds blow you safely home!
    Last edited by Mort Canard; 07-14-12 at 12:32 PM.
    "The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles" Butch Cassidy

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Sorry - a true Fred is TOTALLY unawares that he is a Fred, so you don't qualify.
    Exactly right -----
    FRED
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighSport View Post
    Can we see some pics of your setup?
    5photo.jpg1photo.jpg2photo.jpg3photo.jpg4photo.jpg

If you have a sharp eye, you might notice that the bars have a slightly different bend. When I picked it up from the shop, they said it came that way and they didn't have another set. They called the distributor and will replace when the new set comes (another advantage of dealing with the LBS).

After riding the setup a couple of times, I can see why people put shifters on the bar ends. Does anyone know what's involved in doing that? Do you have to disconnect the brifters or can you have both? If it's one or the other, I leave it as is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Canard View Post
    chinarider,
    I have seen a lot of riders with aerobars and all are in a pretty tight crouch. My excess belly usually precludes me getting any farther forward than the hoods or the flats. Maybe I ought to try a pair, but I have never been comfortable that far forward and low.
    I think the crouch is less than when in the drops. Try resting your forearms on the bars and see how that feels. It will give you an idea, but with the raised pads, you're higher up than when simply resting on the bars.

BTW I like your avatar and user name. May the four winds blow you safely home!
    . I like your signature.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Bertrand Russell

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After riding the setup a couple of times, I can see why people put shifters on the bar ends. Does anyone know what's involved in doing that? Do you have to disconnect the brifters or can you have both? If it's one or the other, I leave it as is.
    It's one or the other, unless you have electronic shifting.... http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...n-bikes-18919/
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 07-14-12 at 03:51 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    It's one or the other, unless you have electronic shifting....
    Now that would be Fred... shifting system costing more than the bike.
    1974 Stella 10 Speed
    2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Bertrand Russell

Banned.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am Fred.
    Is this one of those 12 step programs?