Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Female Cyclists All Over The Place

Thursday, my singing group traveled to sing in Allenspark, CO, 100 miles into the Colorado Mountains, taking us through Boulder, Lyons and up a lot of grades, curves, etc.

This is bicycling mecca, Boulder being one of this country's bicycling centers.

So, we passed dozens of bicyclists on great bikes. What was amazing was that more than 50% of those we passed were female cyclists, including two very capable looking ladies with loaded touring bikes - in the mountains - both with military type helmets and one with a whole paragraph tattoed on her leg (I don't know what it said).

I don't know if any of them were 50+, but I know for certain that eventually they will be, to the benefit of our entire cycling world.

Bravo to the ladies.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-13-12 at 10:16 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the hot portion of the year, I do my 30-mile weekday ride starting at dawn, so I can start work at 8am. It includes a lap around the Morgul-Bismark where I sometimes see more cute cycling babes than dudes. Tuesday morning I encountered a group of ~10 of them which I got to see twice because they were doing their lap in the opposite direction.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Shimagnolo;14479513 I sometimes see more cute cycling babes than dudes. Tuesday morning I encountered a group of ~10 of them which I got to see twice because they were doing their lap in the opposite direction.[/QUOTE]I've seen some of them twice at our local training venue (Hains Point loop) as they lap me going in the same direction.
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say Bravo!
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fit, fun loving women wearing stretch lycra. I can't understend why so many men don't bicycle.

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://bikeportland.org/2012/06/28/w...-by-bike-73731 The woman in this news item is way tougher than anyone here. Just having 5 kids requires extraordinary fortitude. She manages everything with her own style.

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berner View Post
    http://bikeportland.org/2012/06/28/w...-by-bike-73731 The woman in this news item is way tougher than anyone here. Just having 5 kids requires extraordinary fortitude. She manages everything with her own style.
    Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope Nora doesn't read what you post - or your in TROUBLE.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I sure hope Nora doesn't read what you post - or your in TROUBLE.
    I just tell her she looks much better - true, also.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap! We gotta tell the U.S. Olympic cycling team about this woman!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I rode with a few of them today

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've come a long way, baby!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Connie Carpenter Phinney lives in Boulder and is over 50.

My Bikes
    Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started work in University City in Philadelphia this past week and am amazed at the number of cycling commuters. Easily half of them are women.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the females that rides in our evening group just won two Gold Medals in the State Championships.
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a boy in high school during the 1950s, girls had few athletic outlets. Field hockey and cheer leading were two easy ones. Exceptional girls found other outlets but it was rare and I never saw it. These days it is evident that women enjoy hard physical activities as much as men. There is a video of women's cyclocross I've seen that fits very well with this thread. I call it Dirty Girls. http://vimeo.com/34015292

My Bikes
    Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a boy in high school during the 1950s, girls had few athletic outlets. Field hockey and cheer leading were two easy ones. Exceptional girls found other outlets but it was rare and I never saw it. These days it is evident that women enjoy hard physical activities as much as men. There is a video of women's cyclocross I've seen that fits very well with this thread. I call it Dirty Girls. http://vimeo.com/34015292
    Much of female access to sports and athletics was due to Title IX.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our One Helluva Ride this year we ended up finishing on the 100 miler route (but our cheating ended up with us going 53) Some of the first 100 mile finishers we saw (passing us, of course) were an awesome pair of highly skilled, highly fit, and blazing fast women on road bikes - pacelined their way into the wind and soon out of our sight.

My Bikes
    Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heck, I can't catch them anymore... lol. saw one the other day... I thought I was cruising, pushing 53/13, there she was running her bottom (probably 11) I wasn't even going to try... gone with the wind...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was passed by a chick once, and her legs were moving like hummingbird wings. Out of curiosity, as I tried to keep up, I downshifted until I matched her cadence, then looked at my Garmin. She was *cruising* at 120rpm!

My Bikes
    Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some real naturals recently. Little movement in the saddle.. took me 6 months to learn when I was 14. Every other ride, our trainer wouldn't let us push anything above 52/15 to acquire what he called a "round" tread. Designed to keep our butts quiet which helps the transfer of energy to the legs. And practically because most sanctioned european B youth classes (14 to 16 if I remember right) were restricted to those gears and rear derailleurs were checked for that (if you had anything below that on your rear wheel), as the 52 max on the front end.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinelander View Post
    I've seen some real naturals recently. Little movement in the saddle.. took me 6 months to learn when I was 14. Every other ride, our trainer wouldn't let us push anything above 52/15 to acquire what he called a "round" tread. Designed to keep our butts quiet which helps the transfer of energy to the legs. And practically because most sanctioned european B youth classes (14 to 16 if I remember right) were restricted to those gears and rear derailleurs were checked for that (if you had anything below that on your rear wheel), as the 52 max on the front end.
    I suspect a lot of riders today set their saddles higher that people did 30+ years ago. Quiet butts/non-rocking hips is a result of not-too-high a saddle and a hip closure that is not too extreme (rising foot does not come up too high).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miss kenton View Post
    I started work in University City in Philadelphia this past week and am amazed at the number of cycling commuters. Easily half of them are women.
    There are more commuters per capita in Phila. than any other major US city. You happen to work in a hot bed section of the city. I know because I teach at one of the universities there.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Giant Propel, Cervelo P2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I regularly ride (and race) with fit and fast women, a few of whom can kick my ass on climbs. Their participation most certainly adds to my enjoyment of the sport.
    "If you're riding less than 18 MPH up a 2% grade please tell people Coggan is coaching you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast