Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Epipen...How many of you carry one..

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-16-12, 07:21 AM

Bikes: Trek Lime Light

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to carry an epipen with me. Usually just carry in a back pack so it is accessible.
If you carry one, where do you carry it, when do you carry it, and do you have some sort of
notice/indicator for others that may know where to locate it if you happen to need it and
cannot get to it on your own?

Mine is for food allergies and allergy to wasp/bee sting...airway closes up mighty quick if I do
not do something quick...
Old 07-16-12, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfmonkey
I have to carry an epipen with me. Usually just carry in a back pack so it is accessible.
If you carry one, where do you carry it, when do you carry it, and do you have some sort of
notice/indicator for others that may know where to locate it if you happen to need it and
cannot get to it on your own?

Mine is for food allergies and allergy to wasp/bee sting...airway closes up mighty quick if I do
not do something quick...
I carry one as well, food allergy. You've got me thinking because, while I carry one, I do not have any way of communicating with someone where it is if there is an emergency. Maybe a big sticker or something on the outside of the bag that says "EPIPEN HERE" would be good.

Do you wear a medical bracelet or anything? I'm considering it...
Old 07-16-12, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Treck lexa SC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It just dawned on me the other day that I need to: 1) get a road ID and 2) figure out a way to carry my epipen with me.

I've been known to become inert just walking around, let alone on a bicycle, as I have a history of open heart surgery, brain surgery, stroke, etc. I'm also allergic to insect stings. I haven't been carrying my epipen because I can't figure out where to put it! I have one of those bigger two dose epipens, the thing is not small. It won't fit in my saddle bag. It also won't fit in my jersey pockets. I don't know what the designers of women's jerseys are thinking when they make the pockets so small---don't they know we need to carry stuff in there? The pockets are like 1/2 or 1/3 the size of what the men's are. So if anyone has a suggestion for where to put the thing, please tell me, I'm all ears. Please don't just tell me I need to carry it, I already know that!
Old 07-16-12, 08:35 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ-Tad SX

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've got both an Epipen and a bottle of Benadryl in my pannier for bee stings, on the recommendation of my doctor and my brother, who's a pharmacist. They differ on which medication I should take first - but do agree that both are a good idea. Thanks for the reminder, though - my Epipen is out of date now, and I'll bet the Benadryl is as well.
Old 07-16-12, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our son has a friend who has peanut allergies. To his parents great credit their attitude was "this kid is going to have a normal life, it's a risk - but we can't watch him all day every day"

Whenever he came to visit he always wore a bum_bag/fanny_pack with his epipen in it. The parents told us about it, where it was, how to use it - which we were grateful for. Never proved to be necessary but my point is that these things are no use unless people are forewarned.

So - humble suggestion: always keep it in the same place, always tell any new people you cycle with about it - it may save your life, or save them spending time saying "Oh - if only I'd known".
Old 07-16-12, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking one of the various small flashlight holsters out there would work to hold your epipen and then you could carry it with you at all times. If you found one with a Velcro strap which makes the belt loop you could strap it to the handle bars on the bike.
Old 07-16-12, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No epipen, but I really should get a medic alert bracelet of road ID as I'm a Type II diabetic--which would be useful information if I were unconscious from an injury.
Old 07-16-12, 12:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, if I had to carry one, it'd be where I could get to it within seconds if I needed it. Probably in a jersey pocket. Not sure whether carrying in a seat wedge or a pannier is the best place if you need it in a hurry.